Car carrier advice for Explore E+ 1

Acadiandad

I have an Explore E+ 1 and am looking for a hitch mount car carrier (bike rack) that works well with a heavy bike like this (with fenders and panier rack).

The Thule 903202 ( EasyFold XT2) looks like a good candidate but I was curious if there are other options that work as well ?

The Kuat ( NV 2.0 ) looks like it could work but they say the tire hook used for securing the bike should be as close to front fork as possible - I imagine that's a problem with a front fender ...

I really like the engineering / construction of the 1up bike rack ( 1up-usa.com ) but I can't see how to properly secure a bike with a rear panier rack on it ...

Curious what people have used and are happy with for their Explorer E+ 1 bikes (or any Ebikes really with fenders and panier rack)

Last edited:
I have an Explore E+ 1 and am looking for a hitch mount car carrier (bike rack) that works well with a heavy bike like this (with fenders and panier rack).

The Thule 903202 ( EasyFold XT2) looks like a good candidate but I was curious if there are other options that work as well ?

The Kuat ( NV 2.0 ) looks like it could work but they say the tire hook used for securing the bike should be as close to front fork as possible - I imagine that's a problem with a front fender ...

I really like the engineering / construction of the 1up bike rack ( 1up-usa.com ) but I can't see how to properly secure a bike with a rear panier rack on it ...

Curious what people have used and are happy with for their Explorer E+ 1 bikes (or any Ebikes really with fenders and panier rack)
I have this Swagman Rack but I've had it for a few years now... long before getting an e-bike. It's very adjustable and the bike(s) can be locked onto it. But... I probably wouldn't buy the same thing again now. The Explore E+1 GTS is pretty darn heavy, even if you remove the battery first. The rack is capable of supporting the weight, but *I* have a hard time putting the bike onto the rack. There are two positions... close to the car and further away. With the heavy E+ 1 I really don't like (not that there's a problem) putting the bike onto the further away position, but I'll do it for short drives. It's very hard for me to lift the bike into position to place in the position closest to the car.

Until getting the e-bike, I was very happy with this rack.

Now really I would only use the rack for long trips and I would put acoustic bikes onto it. Otherwise if it's a short trip, heck, I'll just ride my e-bike directly!

I have this Swagman Rack but I've had it for a few years now... long before getting an e-bike. It's very adjustable and the bike(s) can be locked onto it. But... I probably wouldn't buy the same thing again now. The Explore E+1 GTS is pretty darn heavy, even if you remove the battery first. The rack is capable of supporting the weight, but *I* have a hard time putting the bike onto the rack. There are two positions... close to the car and further away. With the heavy E+ 1 I really don't like (not that there's a problem) putting the bike onto the further away position, but I'll do it for short drives. It's very hard for me to lift the bike into position to place in the position closest to the car.

Until getting the e-bike, I was very happy with this rack.

Now really I would only use the rack for long trips and I would put acoustic bikes onto it. Otherwise if it's a short trip, heck, I'll just ride my e-bike directly!

Thanks - that's one feature I do like about the Thule - it comes with a ramp that makes loading heavy bikes manageable.

The 1up racks really look bullet proof and DIY repairable and, I think, a little cheaper - but the way they work, you can't really use a ramp to load the bike - you need to lift it in place.

Hey, Acadian

I have the 1 Up for my ToughRoad. It’s the fenders rather than the rack that will do you in on that one. It needs to tighten up on the tires to work.

Saw several Explore E in Lake Placid recently, nice bike!

Hey, Acadian

I have the 1 Up for my ToughRoad. It’s the fenders rather than the rack that will do you in on that one. It needs to tighten up on the tires to work.

Saw several Explore E in Lake Placid recently, nice bike!

I am leaning towards the 1up - there is a "fender saver" accessory which I think should be workable if I can position it right where the fender is supported by the panier rack (where things are pretty stiff)

How do you like the 1up ? Any issues or concerns with it ?

When you guys are talking about a Thule 1 Up... do you mean the T1 or something else? I don't see anything called "1 Up" on the Thule website. (Just curious as I'm not thrilled with my current rack for my heavy e-bike.)

no - the "1up" is a bike rack made by 1up-usa … see link here : https://www.1up-usa.com/
Thank you. I'd thought it was Thule.

I must be really dense, but looking at their website, I don't see any photos of how the bike attaches to the rack or explanation of it. They really should have some photos showing the rack in use. I don't see any clamping mechanism.

Thank you. I'd thought it was Thule.

I must be really dense, but looking at their website, I don't see any photos of how the bike attaches to the rack or explanation of it. They really should have some photos showing the rack in use. I don't see any clamping mechanism.

Go back to the website. There are tons of photos and drawings for each of the 1UP USA bike racks and accys. If you go to 1up USA home page, there are tabs at the top. Ist tab is products and you can find all their bike racks there. Third tab over is photos and you can find lots of photos there.

... looking at their website, I don't see any photos of how the bike attaches to the rack or explanation of it. They really should have some photos showing the rack in use. I don't see any clamping mechanism.

LOL - looking at the product pages I had exact same thought - but there are plenty of videos and images on the web if you look elsewhere - I found this one which shows it pretty well.

There are a pair of arms that pivot up from each end of the trays and each pair of arms has a (movable) cross piece at the end which contacts the tires. The pairs of arms straddle the wheels so that they are effectively captive. The arms are connected to a follower which runs (ratchets) along a rail with detents to lock the arms in place (a lever is used to release the ratchet when desired).

So you open the arms up wide, put the bike in place, then bring the arms back towards the bike. The arms apply a vertical (downward) and lateral force (towards bike center) force on the tires to avoid contact to rims and/or frame.

Go back to the website. There are tons of photos and drawings for each of the 1UP USA bike racks and accys. If you go to 1up USA home page, there are tabs at the top. Ist tab is products and you can find all their bike racks there. Third tab over is photos and you can find lots of photos there.
You're right! But gee, when you look at the actual products, there should be some indication of how the bike fits on them. I think that's kinda poor on their part.

LOL - looking at the product pages I had exact same thought - but there are plenty of videos and images on the web if you look elsewhere - I found this one which shows it pretty well.

View attachment 38202

There are a pair of arms that pivot up from each end of the trays and each pair of arms has a (movable) cross piece at the end which contacts the tires. The pairs of arms straddle the wheels so that they are effectively captive. The arms are connected to a follower which runs (ratchets) along a rail with detents to lock the arms in place (a lever is used to release the ratchet when desired).

So you open the arms up wide, put the bike in place, then bring the arms back towards the bike. The arms apply a vertical (downward) and lateral force (towards bike center) force on the tires to avoid contact to rims and/or frame.
I see now, but for a bike with fenders front and back, would it really work?

The angle of the arm should be fine for front wheel (the fender is quite short at front) - I am indeed less certain of back but the fender is quite rigid where it attaches to the panier rack, so ...

… my thought is that with their accessory called a "fender saver" (basically its a foamy over the cross-piece), that I can snug up the rear arms to apply force at the fender to rack attachment point.

If that looks sketchy after I've tried it, then I was thinking I would make (mill, etc.) a piece of metal or wood to attach to the back of the panier rack, so that I could apply force from the arms to the panier rack itself.

I have seen photos online of people with bikes with fenders using this carrier … so it can be done, but I am definitely less certain of the issues / details.

The only single hitch mounted rack that would support the weight of my LaFree +1 was the Thule T1.

The 1Up USA Super Duty Single holds one bike up to 75 lbs. You can add on a second or third rack that is rated for 225 llbs total. The Super Duty Single only weighs 28 lbs and comes with a reusable storage box.

The Thule T1 is only rated at 60 lbs and weighs 29 lbs.

I've owned a Thule T2 (original non-ebike version and found it very heavy and bulky. I sold the Thule T2 and bought one of the original 1Up USA double racks which is rated for 50 lbs per bike. I liked the 1Up USA much better than the Thule T2 as the 1UP is much lighter and smaller/easier to store.

If you have one of the original 1UP USA racks rated at 50 lbs per bike, some of them can be upgraded to increase capacity to 60-75 lbs. This is a case by case basis depending upon what you start with.

I just spoke with Brook at 1Up USA. She took the time to look up a picture of my new bike (Riese & Muller Nevo GH) and said the front fender/wheel would not need the foam fender roller, but the rear arm would need the foam fender roller. Brook said they use the fender roller/protector all the time on ebikes and it will not harm the fender. She said that the Super Duty Single rack I'm looking at will hold my 65 lb Nevo very securely with no damage to fender.

I just spoke with Brook at 1Up USA. She took the time to look up a picture of my new bike (Riese & Muller Nevo GH) and said the front fender/wheel would not need the foam fender roller, but the rear arm would need the foam fender roller. Brook said they use the fender roller/protector all the time on ebikes and it will not harm the fender. She said that the Super Duty Single rack I'm looking at will hold my 65 lb Nevo very securely with no damage to fender.

Thanks for taking the initiative to call them ! This is helpful.

I have had Thule and Yakima racks prior, and I feel the 1 Up is way better than either. Your mileage may vary. It’s all aluminum, goes on or off the car in less than a minute without having to get down on hands and knees, folds up into a pretty small shape for winter storage, and is rock solid. Absolutely no complaints. I was unaware of the fender thing, but if the guy says it will work, that would be good enough for me.

A friend just put together a three bike setup with the 1 Up of the back of his pickup truck. Pretty wild looking operation, but solid as a rock.

The only single hitch mounted rack that would support the weight of my LaFree +1 was the Thule T1.

The current Thule T1 has the following comment on Thule's website:

• Not for use with front fenders

Last edited:
I really like my hitch mount Saris Super clamp EX 2. It is really light for taking on and off the car. It will hold bikes with and without fenders. It has the wheel straps if you have a rear fender so you don't have to tighten the rear clamp down but it still holds the bike securely. the front clamp touches the tire out in front of the fender so you don't have any issues there. It is good for 2 60lb bikes and they have tire trays that will hold up to a 4" tire. The tilting feature allows you access to the hatch of a car if you need and I find with my Honda Pilot I can keep the rack folded up against my hatch and it is small enough to open the hatch without having to put the rack down (without bikes of course)

Back