Can't remove TREK ALLANT tire!

graydond

Region
USA
i have a Trek Allant 7S Stagger that has a back tire that has the air leaking from the sidewall all the way around and on both sides!
i was going to just replace the tire but i can not break the tire from the wheel! i've had many bikes before and have easily changed tires but i've never had one attached to the wheel like this.
is it a tubeless tire? and why was it leaking air from the sidewall? from 25psi to completely flat in less than 5 minutes!
the main question is......how do i get the tire off?
IMG_2637.JPG

The stem is not rubber so I would guess this is tubeless.
You can determine if the leak is one point or many places by airing up and painting the rim with water with dilute detergent in it. A 1" paint brush is useful. Bubbles will form at the leak. If it is one point mark both the rim & tire with chalk or a marker.
After releasing the air I would squeeze the tire with a chanl-lock plier, at the same time prying against the rim with a wood chisel. A wide tool so you do not scar an aluminum rim. Once the rim is loose all the way around on both sides, you put the off side in the groove in the middle then pry near side over the rim with the chisel or a wide screwdriver. On tube type tires I use two 3/8" wide screwdrivers without damage. Putting in a tube you have to keep the tip shallow as possible so you do not pinch the tube with the screwdriver. I have never owned two of those plastic toys.
Perhaps the rim has such a scar, or the rim is not made for tubeless. If it is a clincher rim the universal repair is put a tube in it.

Last edited:
The stem is not rubber so I would guess this is tubeless.
WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT?! Of course it is a tubed setup. The valve is absolutely belonging to the tube here.

I own e-bikes with a tubed and a tubeless setup and can tell them apart. The OP has got the advice how to remove an "irremovable" tyre in post #2.

Please do not spread false information (which you have done not for the first time). There is no "I would guess". You know it or not. If in doubt, ask the OP.

Last edited:
Looks like a tube to me. Just step on it right where the tire meets the rim. Sounds like you got a pinch flat - why you're feeling air around the rim on both sides. Pressures like 25 PSI make a pinch flat more likely - maybe consider getting that up some.

And we all have Stefan on ignore - welcome to the club :)

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT?! Of course it is a tubed setup. The valve is absolutely belonging to the tube here.

I own e-bikes with a tubed and a tubeless setup and can tell them apart. The OP has got the advice how to remove an "irremovable" tyre in post #2.

Please do not spread false information (which you have done not for the first time). There is no "I would guess". You know it or not. If in doubt, ask the OP.
How do you tell them apart? I have no tubeless tires and no Presta valves. What is it about the OP's picture that indicates his tire has a tube? Genuine question.

And since it's already a point of discussion, I agree with the others that there was no reason for the all caps and bold language, or the tone in general.

A short bar clamp like these might help. More control that a foot maybe.
1716835363016.png

TT

How do you tell them apart? I have no tubeless tires and no Presta valves. What is it about the OP's picture that indicates his tire has a tube? Genuine question.
  • The Allant has no tubeless ready rims
  • Commuter e-bikes do not come in tubeless setup unless the owner decides to do so and is able to do it successfully
  • The description from the OP has never indicated he had the tubeless setup. (If he had, the sealant would be gushing all over).
  • The valve looks perfectly normal for the tubed setup.

1716836738107.png

Good tubeless valves may look like the ones in the picture (I have them on my Vado SL, and I only ordered the tubeless conversion after I made sure the rims were tubeless ready). (Notice the caps, which are also a valve stem tool). I also have tubes on my Vado 6.0 or on the third and fourth e-bike, so I know how the things look like and how they work. (I even had a tubeless setup on the e-MTB I once owned).

Now, there comes one James from Indiana who probably has never seen more than his own e-bike, and he starts his totally uninformed post* from "I would guess". You do not guess. You know it or not. In doubt, you are asking the Original Poster for the setup details.

I am listening to a good advice. That's why I did not express my own opinion but referred to the good advice from Prairie Dog that worked well for me. The question was: How do you remove a stuck tire from the rim. The question was already answered in post #2.

And since it's already a point of discussion, I agree with the others that there was no reason for the all caps and bold language, or the tone in general.
I may ask if you also read posts from one GR, who constantly insults me, often based on the nationality. I work with cultural Americans on a daily basis and would not like to think one GR represents the average level of the American society (hidden behind so called politeness but which is in fact bullying and racial slur). Yes, we Poles are direct because telling the facts straight helps everybody.

Thank you for your attention.
--------------
*) Not long ago the aforesaid James from Indiana claimed Bosch E-Bike motors were made in China (they are made in Hungary).

Last edited:
  • The Allant has no tubeless ready rims
  • Commuter e-bikes do not come in tubeless setup unless the owner decides to do so and is able to do it successfully
  • The description from the OP has never indicated he had the tubeless setup. (If he had, the sealant would be gushing all over).
  • The valve looks perfectly normal for the tubed setup.
actually you are wrong the allant 7 and 8 at least the current ones are tubeless ready. the one pictured is not setup as tubeless.

nt-as0020_1.png

Tubeless valve

Schrader_presta_woods_valve_types.jpg

Tube with valve

The correct advice was given in Post #2, and the OP was able to solve his issue many hours ago. The post #3 with a wild guess was completely unnecesary and it created a debate on a totally irrelevant subject.

The correct advice was given in Post #2, and the OP was able to solve his issue many hours ago. The post #3 with a wild guess was completely unnecesary and it created a debate on a totally irrelevant subject.
How to Make Enemies and Piss People Off, by Stefan Mikes. Sorry, Dale.

Last edited:
Back