Canadian Winter Ready Comfort Commuter - Research Stalemate

Just a quick question (or two)

Evo Street seems to say 30 nm at 500w

Rook has 65 nm.

Rook Has more oomph? @surface604 #surface604

Also, am I going to be disappointed buying now instead of waiting until black Friday in the event there's someone having a sale? odds good or bad?
Definitely ask the seller if a rebate is offered should the bike you want goes on sale within 30 days of your purchase. Dealers won't be surprised at the question and they will be ready with a yes or no. If yes, have that written on your sales receipt. Also if you decide on an Easy Motion, check the company website just prior to purchase for special offers. Last winter they offered $500 USD off some overstocked bikes, the Street was one, none of the Easygo models were included.

Hi Amanda

The benefit of a test drive! And a local shop who seem interested in fitting you correctly. I think you should abort the on-line purchase. After reading the thread, I think you will benefit by establishing a relationship with a bike shop. They can fit you on the bike, make future adjustments (winter tires) after you've ridden a while, and provide annual service and tune ups. The latter is important if you plan on commuting. You'll want to have a reliable bike that's been well maintained to get to work and home.

I predict that you'll have pretty high case of buyers remorse from anything purchased online. You have lots of concerns/worries already.

Running a bike shop is not very profitable. A dealer might make $400 on a $1000 bike. Then subtract store costs, Labour, credit card fees, etc, there might be $250 left for net profit. You might be better off asking for some free accessories or other discounts. Certainly ask that the first year tune ups and adjustments are free. This will be valuable to you as referenced above.

Certainly ask for a deal on last year's models. Maybe the manufacturer is helping to clear out a few old models before 2017's come in. A 30 day or 100 hour money back guarantee should be confirmed in writing. A good dealer will comply, pErhaps with a small restocking fee.

Perhaps you have a mechanical and electrical engineer as friends who will support a blind internet purchase. Otherwise the shop will be your friend. Your happiness will bring in New customers.

Good luck.

Black Friday is for mainstream items. Ebikes are niche market (yet). If ebike shops ever have a sale, it's around the end of season and/or when they are getting a newer model and discount older models. Waiting for a sale on one or two particular chosen models - could never come.

I felt comfortable enough to purchase so I guess time and experience with my purchase will tell!

I'm confident about the size I purchased and will be asking a local Velofix franchisee to assemble and tune the bike up.

Hoping to blog/vlog what I can about the delivery and tuneup process with full open honesty so others know how the process works.

In theory I'll have my delivery December 1st and assembled the following week.

:)

I felt comfortable enough to purchase so I guess time and experience with my purchase will tell!

I'm confident about the size I purchased and will be asking a local Velofix franchisee to assemble and tune the bike up.

Hoping to blog/vlog what I can about the delivery and tuneup process with full open honesty so others know how the process works.

In theory I'll have my delivery December 1st and assembled the following week.

:)
Hi Amanda

Are you riding yet? Let us know how it's going and if Velofix was helpful for you.

There's quite a good post re winter riding recommendations from a Minnesota rider. I can't seem to link to it but search the forums.

Safe travels

Hi Amanda

Are you riding yet? Let us know how it's going and if Velofix was helpful for you.

There's quite a good post re winter riding recommendations from a Minnesota rider. I can't seem to link to it but search the forums.

Safe travels

I have been riding and have logged nearly 50km so far going to and from work. We had some snow and ice around Christmas, and I lazed around the house over my vacation for two weeks. I got excellent range on half my battery before recharging it.

My local Velofix rep seemed to prefer weekend appointments in my area, and I was always working. So I ended up utilizing my local bike store pickup and drop off service. It was $40, plus the $60 tuneup. Everything seems solid so far on the tuning.

85 km!

I have a rust spot on the part of my left pedal that screws into the crank arm. Anything I can use to remove or prevent that?

I've been happy so far. Much more comfortable at higher assist levels and handling around turns. I even tried the bike lane!

Everything seems to be holding up, as the weather has not brought snow or ice. The black rubber cover of my hub motor cord is kind-of loose and pulls off the bolt, I was wondering if I'm safe to silicon it so she stops slipping occasionally?

I have a rust spot on the part of my left pedal that screws into the crank arm. Anything I can use to remove or prevent that?
That part is hardened steel, and susceptible to rust on most brands of pedals. Many use stainless steel, but even that can rust. It all depends on the grade of steel used and how much iron content it has, as to how much and how quickly it'll rust. You can use a small wire brush, scotchbrite pad or even steel wool. You'll want to be careful not to scuff other surfaces. If it's just a little surface rust, some WD40 on a rag will do. Then apply a thin coating of grease or Vaseline to protect it. There are more fancy and expensive ways to deal with it, but you don't need them. All raw metal can and will corrode. Probably the most troublesome for bicycles are chains. Keeping them clean and lubed is important.

That part is hardened steel, and susceptible to rust on most brands of pedals. Many use stainless steel, but even that can rust. It all depends on the grade of steel used and how much iron content it has, as to how much and how quickly it'll rust. You can use a small wire brush, scotchbrite pad or even steel wool. You'll want to be careful not to scuff other surfaces. If it's just a little surface rust, some WD40 on a rag will do. Then apply a thin coating of grease or Vaseline to protect it. There are more fancy and expensive ways to deal with it, but you don't need them. All raw metal can and will corrode. Probably the most troublesome for bicycles are chains. Keeping them clean and lubed is important.
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I have tried to ride in mild weather and was a little worried.

Onto something really weird.

I decided on a Hexlox kit to secure components which are quick release only bike. Here was some delay and communication before he kit arrived earlier this month. I have not installed it yet, but plan on having it done soon. I'm too nervous about replacing my front skewer and failing to tighten the new one properly.

I had left an undecided but unhappy facebook review on the hexlox page due to response times in communication, with the sidebar I'd edit it upon install and experience with the kit.

So I got a delivery notice today, and discovered a 'gift' had been sent by hexlox.

I was thinking, Maybe an extra key? They cost a lot and it would be appropriate as a gift if a company wanted to smooth over consumer relations.

Oh no, it's a duplicate order!

I'm a bit taken aback and quite creeped out to be honest. Why would they send me two? How can they be making money doing so? Is being creeped out appropriate?

Creepy.

(Creepy update: I took a closer look at the shipping labels. The second package to arrive was sent first classified as a gift, the first to arrive was sent afterwards as an 'other' and described as a bike lock. Values differ on both for value, seems like printed identifying I'd numbers for contents differ too. I'll see if I can't get a picture too.

This keeps getting weirder and weirder.)

Last edited:
Heard back from Hexlox.

Would not recommend their communication, order management or customer service to anyone.

Apparently, someone in his office accidently sent the second kit and his response was two options for me.

Please return it.

Or

Keep it and I'll give you a big discount.

Now, I know he hasn't explicitly said the return shipping would be at my cost, but I'm actually kind of at a loss for words. If he thinks I have a second bike he's wrong - the skewer is useless. If he thinks I'll go out of pocket for return international shipping with tracking he's wrong.

I'll send it back at his cost if he produces a shipping label.

I'm not happy. Most companies wouldn't try to push for an additional sale, or ask for a return at the cost of shipping.

So I feel like I'm being coerced into a second kit I don't want. If he insists I pay for shipping I'll have to inform my credit card company that unauthorized charges may go through otherwise.

Bleh. Such a horrid experience and I haven't even installed the damn kit yet.

Seems ridiculous to ask the kit returned when they have no return policy for customer purchases.

Got a tuneup in the hopes to add my new front skewer from Hexlox and do a proper review. Unfortunately the guys at the shop were concerned that the skewer bolt was too short. The nut grabbed only a couple of threads and while they said the wheel was holding and survived a test ride, they wouldn't ride on it themselves.

Now, I know they recommended one of their own security skewer sets instead, but I'm already out of pocket. Do you guys feel that this is sound advice? Or was the shop trying to sell additional parts?

I had them swap back out for the original QR, and Hexlox is willing to exchange the skewer I received for a new longer one they now carry for mtb forks. I wish they hadn't advised me that my fork was standard. They even quoted my fork make and model.

Blech. This has been an awful saga.

Do the exchange. If it was their error, they'll pay shipping. Otherwise, no member of this forum will ever buy any of their products! Tell them I said so. :)

Do the exchange. If it was their error, they'll pay shipping. Otherwise, no member of this forum will ever buy any of their products! Tell them I said so. :)

They said they will reimburse me for shipping back the extra kit, and send the new skewer once the old is received. And I do eventually want to do a brief review video/picture post if I ever get this kit equipped lol.

Process is just exhausting so far.

They said they will reimburse me for shipping back the extra kit, and send the new skewer once the old is received. And I do eventually want to do a brief review video/picture post if I ever get this kit equipped lol.

Process is just exhausting so far.

I'm sure it's a pain in the ass problem, but don't carry it around.

Back