Canada to restrict class 3 ebikes to 20mph

Petropoliskhan

Region
Europe
City
Brussels
Hi, just read a Facebook post by Canadian Stromer rider Travis Carnahan whose wife, apparently, received this email from Stromer that states the following:

"Dear Canadian Stromer Customers,
Canadian regulations stipulate that all Stromer e-bikes in Canada are not allowed to exceed 32 km/h. Canadian Regulatory Enforcement Officers / Automotive Inspectors have been working closely with myStromer USA to ensure that ALL Stromer bikes new and previously sold (used) comply with these established Canadian laws and regulations.

This means that in the next firmware update, every bike that is connected to a Canadian address will therefore automatically be limited to the 32 km/h Canadian mandate. This change will occur on November 30, 2022, at 12 pm EST. The speed limit change will happen via an over the air update sent from our headquarters in Switzerland to your Stromer bike. There is nothing that you need to do. The over the air setting cannot be stopped from downloading, and neither a dealer nor a customer will be able to change it back to 45 km/h.
Once this update is pushed to all bikes you can verify this by going to the Stromer OMNI of your Stromer and pushing menu / system | about, under the bike type you will see the type CA1038."

Thank you for your understanding. Safe and happy commuting!
Your Stromer Team"

Is this actually happening?
Anybody else heard about this?
Court ? You're in Canada right?

@Petropoliskhan: It looks the thread title should be: "Stromer restricts their Canadian e-bikes to conform to the existing laws".

A simple thing: Stromer was delivering illegal e-bikes to Canada; someone in the authorities has realised that and requested Stromer to conform to the law. Fortunately for Stromer, they can do the OTA update.

We know the bikes are designed to go 45 km / hour - in fact mine has been going 45 km an hour for the last 4 years.

Gotta slow your bikes down! The RCMP have to be able to catch you, despite a donut in one hand and a coffee in the other. ;) Just joshing with you Canadians.

The only solution is probably a different brand of ebike.

My Giant Stance is capable/designed to go faster too, but was shipped in a state that conforms with our local laws.
Let me whisper to you Dave the derestricted Trance E+ 2 Pro could hit 53 km/h on the flat while ridden by a strong person, and probably it could be more if the derestrictor were not set to 50 km/h :D

Now, the person who currently owns that e-bike (not the person who set the record!) slowly considers buying a proper lightweight traditional gravel bike :)

A friend of mine recently derestricted his Levo but I have no idea of what his top speed is.

Ironically, it was me who planted the idea in his head in the first place and now I don’t really have any need or desire to do the same. I guess over time, I’ve generally become accustomed to riding within the limits set here particularly when it comes to trail riding an emtb as I personally don't think that I would ever need to go that fast.

@Petropoliskhan: It looks the thread title should be: "Stromer restricts their Canadian e-bikes to conform to the existing laws".

A simple thing: Stromer was delivering illegal e-bikes to Canada; someone in the authorities has realised that and requested Stromer to conform to the law. Fortunately for Stromer, they can do the OTA update.
My bad ! You’re right, that title would have been more appropriate.
I am not familiar with the legislation concerning ebikes in Canada.
I erroneously thought that they had class 1,2 and 3 bikes. Just like the US.
So just to be clear : there are no legal class 3 (28mph) bikes in Canada ?
No Bosch equipped Speed performance cx equipped bikes in Canada. Riese&Muller, Giant, turbo Vados etc…
No Bafang « whatchamacallits » by Juiced, Bitrix,Aventon, Wattwagons.
What about Zen bikes? @ravi-kempaiah
Will all other non connected bikes also be downgraded by lbs’s when going in for maintenance /repairs ? Or is just just Stromers riders that are S.O.L?

In British Columbia, where I live, there is no such regulation restricting the top speed of e-bikes that I can find.
So now you know:

"Below are universal rules across the provinces in Canada regarding electric bikes (excluding Prince Edward Island, as they have their own set of rules):
  • Motors are limited to 500 W output, and cannot travel faster than 32 kilometers per hour on motor power alone on level ground"

Specific rules for BC, Canada:

1669812433511.png

Chap, you can protest to Stromer until you're blue :D

Hi Stefan, why do I get the strange feeling this makes you gleeful ?
Does it make you happy that many people who may have bought these bikes in good faith by official well established dealers are getting their property damaged and devalued ? Some may have known something was amiss but this lasted for years and was out in the open. So why not avail themselves of this tech? Should all cars that can be driven above the speed limit be throttled in the same manner?
What about all of self built bikes people brag about ( w/ 1000+watts power) in this very forum? Should their owners be forced to do the same or are Stromer owners just some of the first victims of connectivity?
Cars and more and more bikes are connected and will sooner or later be subjected to the same type of policing. Is this something you look forward to?
I’ll bet that you’ll find this less funny when it happens to you.
Good day

Manufacturer "connectivity" means you do not own your bike software. They may make any changes they like. No doubt you accepted those "terms and conditions" upon purchase or activation.
You probably right. But do you always read and accept the “terms and conditions “ of all the apps you use? Do this make it fair in your opinion? Have you never been surprised to find out that Facebook, google, apple etc were using you for their benefit instead of the other way around?

Sucks, but either buyers knew they were buying a non-compliant bike or were ignorant and should direct their anger at Stromer for selling them something that wasn't legal for road use in the first place.

I've always said that if non-compliant bikes become enough of a problem in the US, enforcement isn't going to be cops out on the paths and streets stopping people and checking for stickers or whatnot, its going to be three letter agencies going directly after manufacturers selling non-compliant or trivially modified e-bikes. Sounds like that was the case here. I'm sure Stromer was facing stiff fines (or even an inability to sell to Canadians) unless they brought things into compliance, and decided to do this. The undoubtedly know it will piss a lot of owners off, so its not unlikely they did it on a whim.

Maybe turn off the option to update firmware?

Firmware updates are sent automatically to your Stromer. To enable your Stromer to receive a firmware update, switch it on. The Stromer will need good mobile network reception for at least ten minutes. If an update is ready for installation, this is displayed by an indicator in the status bar.

As soon as you switch the Stromer off or on, you can choose whether to install the update immediately (YES) or later (NO).

Hi, just read a Facebook post by Canadian Stromer rider Travis Carnahan whose wife, apparently, received this email from Stromer that states the following:

"Dear Canadian Stromer Customers,
Canadian regulations stipulate that all Stromer e-bikes in Canada are not allowed to exceed 32 km/h. Canadian Regulatory Enforcement Officers / Automotive Inspectors have been working closely with myStromer USA to ensure that ALL Stromer bikes new and previously sold (used) comply with these established Canadian laws and regulations.

This means that in the next firmware update, every bike that is connected to a Canadian address will therefore automatically be limited to the 32 km/h Canadian mandate. This change will occur on November 30, 2022, at 12 pm EST. The speed limit change will happen via an over the air update sent from our headquarters in Switzerland to your Stromer bike. There is nothing that you need to do. The over the air setting cannot be stopped from downloading, and neither a dealer nor a customer will be able to change it back to 45 km/h.
Once this update is pushed to all bikes you can verify this by going to the Stromer OMNI of your Stromer and pushing menu / system | about, under the bike type you will see the type CA1038."

Thank you for your understanding. Safe and happy commuting!
Your Stromer Team"

Is this actually happening?
Anybody else heard about this?
Court ? You're in Canada right?
Do they automatically send the update directly to the bike, or do you take it to a dealer? I haven't had an update installed on my Bosch bikes since the day I rolled them out of the store in 2016.

Back