Can we have an Honest Discussion Trek Alliant vs Specialized Vado USA?

I am pretty Mechanical
All well and good until we discover that the parts stream is unavailable to DIY guys. Making mechanical skills useless in servicing a drive system. Mind, I don't know the bikes being discussed but from what I'm seeing Brose, Bosch, Yamaha, and more are near impossible to buy repair parts for and never mind easy access to firmware and programming. My response was to kit my favorite bike.

Those are nice looking frames. I was concerned about replacement batteries for frame integrated setups, but not so much now that there are decent builders. But here again the proprietary electronics and battery communication renders my building skill useless, or almost so.

That said I'd still buy, and will this winter, a Yamaha mid drive bike with integrated battery pack. They're just to nice to not own one. AND I am getting tired of supporting the zip tie makers.

Part of doing Homework is Joining a Forum and picking Other peoples brains and experiences : I always think it's rather pointless when someone says Do your own Research : Duh!!!!! Part of finding what Others have run into is Research. Anyone who doesn't want to cheerfully share theirs shouldn't be on a Forum. Why join a Forum and then be miserable towards everyone else : To answer your Question : People that think You have all this extra Time once you retire aren't Retired : You actually seem to have less time :) . LOL
I can't agree. Doing some basic reading so that I can ask reasonably intelligent questions isn't expecting to much. Forum posters tend to sell what they ride and not many have really broad experience. We're lucky here and have some incredible talent, but PLEASE learning enough to use the right nomenclature and basic concepts is something we should always do before asking readers to do our basic homework. I don't mind helping those willing to help themselves.

All well and good until we discover that the parts stream is unavailable to DIY guys. Making mechanical skills useless in servicing a drive system. Mind, I don't know the bikes being discussed but from what I'm seeing Brose, Bosch, Yamaha, and more are near impossible to buy repair parts for and never mind easy access to firmware and programming. My response was to kit my favorite bike.

Those are nice looking frames. I was concerned about replacement batteries for frame integrated setups, but not so much now that there are decent builders. But here again the proprietary electronics and battery communication renders my building skill useless, or almost so.

That said I'd still buy, and will this winter, a Yamaha mid drive bike with integrated battery pack. They're just to nice to not own one. AND I am getting tired of supporting the zip tie makers.
Most if not all of the Bosch parts are readily available. Check Scooteretti's online parts catalogue for example. https://shop.scooteretti.com/collections/bosch-ebike-system-parts?page=1

Last edited:
THe Vado has front suspension and the Trek does not. My question is why you are not comparing the Como and the Trek? This to me is a bigger difference than the motor power. Both motors are great at climbing.
Please elaborate what you mean ? You mean because the Trek Alliant is closer to the Como?
I can't agree. Doing some basic reading so that I can ask reasonably intelligent questions isn't expecting to much. Forum posters tend to sell what they ride and not many have really broad experience. We're lucky here and have some incredible talent, but PLEASE learning enough to use the right nomenclature and basic concepts is something we should always do before asking readers to do our basic homework. I don't mind helping those willing to help themselves.
Thank's for the Advice : That way I'll know who is just providing Hot Air and Personal Opinion . Opposed to those who actually have facts : Thanks I appreciate it ;)

: Sooo am I right in assuming Vado 3,4,5 all have the same Motor ?
No.
Three different motors ( even if they have the same origin)
2020 Vado 3.0 1.2E motor (Brose Drive C, 50Nm)
2020 Vado 4.0 1.2 motor (Brose Drive T, 70Nm)
2020 Vado 5.0 1.3 motor (Brose Drive S, 90Nm)

No.
Three different motors ( even if they have the same origin)
2020 Vado 3.0 motor (Brose Drive C, 50Nm)
2020 Vado 4.0 1.2 mo1.2E tor (Brose Drive T, 70Nm)
2020 Vado 5.0 1.3 motor ( Brose Drive S, 90Nm)
Does anyone here

I’m 67 and I have a como 5 and can tell you, it climbs hills great and I can cruise 21-23mph on the flats. I wished I would have got the Vado, but at the time I thought I wanted a more upright riding position. I ended up putting bars similar to the Vado on my como. I know nothing about the trek bikes other than my friends have them and like them. Specialized ebikes ride like a regular bike, except it feels like you have bionic legs. I ride in eco mode except when climbing a big hill, then I bump it up to sport or turbo mode. As to which is better for you......you’ll have to decide, I’m sure both are nice bikes.

Allant with the 625wh and optional 500wh battery is by faaar the clear winner.

TQ values are always misleading. They both have some torque. NOT 70 or 90 . Read the TQ thread started in 2015.

Just Enough TQ to propel you almost fAst.

You can easily sell the ALLant b/c it is the hit ebike for 2020. Again big battery system-1125wh. Everyone wants that in an ebike.

The torque numbers in my post above are from Brose website. Not an independant test.

So does anyone know what the Difference in these motors are or where I might find teh Information ?r
Allant with the 625wh and optional 500wh battery is by faaar the clear winner.

TQ values are always misleading. They both have some torque. NOT 70 or 90 . Read the TQ thread started in 2015.

Just Enough TQ to propel you almost fAst.

You can easily sell the ALLant b/c it is the hit ebike for 2020. Again big battery system-1125wh. Everyone wants that in an ebike.
Thanks

Back