Can We Get a Storm Forum?

George S.

There seems to be some interest in the Storm. They've sold 3,000 bikes in 2 days. I'm just not sure where to put comments. Maybe there should be a forum for bikes sold outside the bricks and mortar retail channel, or a forum for Ali-Bikes, or Crowd-sourced bikes, etc. Go with the flow, or whatever. There is more to the Storm than the bike. There are a lot of bikes on Alibaba that could easily end up on Kickstarter.

The comments run the gamut. Turbo Bob, who has a blog, posted a comment to Facebook on the Electric Bike Report Feed, which simply posted the indiegogo link:

Turbo Bob's Bicycle Blog Yes, the red flags were waving well ahead of time.
They say any publicity is good publicity.
I have a bucket full of doubts on this one---the bike and the scenario.

You have a blog, Turbo Bob, so go ahead and give us your doubts.

I don't know. This is definitely not a criticism, and I'm not sure what Court should do. I would like to extract from the Storm phenomena, when it has played out, what really changes at the low end of ebiking. It might work out, it might not work out, or somewhere in between.

There is a ton of stuff on Alibaba, much of it way under $2,000. I'd like to know where a discerning importer would be smart to draw the line, the lower limit. You either can't buy from Alibaba or there is stuff you can buy. Since most bikes are made in China, it's hard to believe no decent bikes will ever find their way onto Alibaba.

This has all been discussed in "Other" which is why maybe a "Storm" forum would have been simpler. I think people would like the LBS perspective.

Sucker bait. There is going to be a lot more of this type of BS as ebikes get popular. Like I've said before, everyone and their mother will be building and selling ebikes.... Just wait and see.

If you look very closely at the mass of print on the Storm Indiegogo layout, there is mention of a $1295 future price (and BTW those words are changing as a result of some critical examinations of the contradictory information on the original page). See Court's well balanced view of the Storm marketing blitz on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXdjm4DW50

If you look very closely at the mass of print on the Storm Indiegogo layout, there is mention of a $1295 future price (and BTW those words are changing as a result of some critical examinations of the contradictory information on the original page). See Court's well balanced view of the Storm marketing blitz on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXdjm4DW50

I took a look at Court's video, I think he was being charitable in his assessment of that bike's marketing spiel.

@Court they will be having a Storm demo day according to the indiegogo website, on 2/15/15 in Santa monica ca. Would be great if you or someone on here could make it. Should be pretty frenetic.

Looks like they are taking umbridge about remarks of their credibility.

Last edited:
The Web is such an echo chamber:

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/500-storm-e-bike-too-good-be-true-looks.html

Other comments:

There won't be refunds. There won't be a warranty. Different hub motor.

Great to sked the test rides when everyone is locked in and they are at a much higher price level. I guess it goes up by $100 tomorrow. Originally they said it would go up in three days, but five days is pretty close to three days in my book. They seem to want to take in every dollar they can and then... Stay tuned?

There will be a "storm" of rants about this thing even before it's out. Hype about this and the Copenhagen wheel is hilarious to me. We had a guy stop in yesterday because he was looking at the Storm online and his wife told him (rightly) it was probably crap and he should visit a real e-bike shop and find out before blowing this week's salary on a Youtube video. When I told him "it's going to be crap and btw it's not out yet" it hadn't actually occurred to him that it wasn't out yet even after telling me that they are talking advance payments for it to be shipped later. Any one can buy a $100 China bike and slap on a $100 motor on it, make a video, do an Indiegogo. They work for a little bit and then the motor and/or battery needs to be replaced and/or you have a $500 Fat Tire bike you can buy at Walmart for $250 right now.

There will be a "storm" of rants about this thing even before it's out. Hype about this and the Copenhagen wheel is hilarious to me. We had a guy stop in yesterday because he was looking at the Storm online and his wife told him (rightly) it was probably crap and he should visit a real e-bike shop and find out before blowing this week's salary on a Youtube video. When I told him "it's going to be crap and btw it's not out yet" it hadn't actually occurred to him that it wasn't out yet even after telling me that they are talking advance payments for it to be shipped later. Any one can buy a $100 China bike and slap on a $100 motor on it, make a video, do an Indiegogo. They work for a little bit and then the motor and/or battery needs to be replaced and/or you have a $500 Fat Tire bike you can buy at Walmart for $250 right now.

Whatever the bike turns out to be, there might be close to 6000 of them (assuming they deliver).. So this Storm eBike represents 3% of all USA eBike sales this year.. In just 5 days. We should all hope it is at least mildly successful or else eBike popularity may take a hit this year.

There you go talking like these things are sold and running around every where already. They aren't 3% of anything until the bikes are delivered and not returned for defect. It's a borderline scam if you ask me and isn't doing anything to benefit e-bike popularity. When these things bomb out many of those customers that may have afforded a $1500 bike or better will be soured by the rip.

There you go talking like these things are sold and running around every where already. They aren't 3% of anything until the bikes are delivered and not returned for defect. It's a borderline scam if you ask me and isn't doing anything to benefit e-bike popularity. When these things bomb out many of those customers that may have afforded a $1500 bike or better will be soured by the rip.
I have ordered a Storm. I already have a 1,000 watt rear drive bike. I weigh 300 lbs and am 6'6. I like the idea of the fat tyres. Never tried one. Am I likely to make my 12 mile commute over flat Tarmac and concrete? The 64,000 dollar question. Your thoughts as an experienced ebiker would be welcome

Flat tarmac, it's hard to say and if so with how much effort on your end and at what speed. And, it's not so much a matter of will you make it, but how many times will it make it before a motor or battery or something else goes kaput and you have to deal with the low grade stuff as part of your investment now. It would be a tough ride on it if the battery cuts out, that's for sure.

The Fat bikes drag a lot as it and you have your weight and by the looks of the video the bike was needing a good amount of pedaling on even a minor incline. Fat Bikes aren't the best commuters unless your home and work are separated by sludgy sandy stuff, so it as it goes it's like riding a Big Foot jeep around town. Sounds un until you have to put gas in it and want it to handle. I wrote this about the Lebowsk-e (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

and by the way we rent the Felt Lebowsk-e if you are interested in trying on long term in the SF Bay Area.

Joe

I have ordered a Storm. I already have a 1,000 watt rear drive bike. I weigh 300 lbs and am 6'6. I like the idea of the fat tyres. Never tried one. Am I likely to make my 12 mile commute over flat Tarmac and concrete? The 64,000 dollar question. Your thoughts as an experienced ebiker would be welcome

Gus, on their indiegogo page FAQ they said this:

What’s the maximum weight limit?
We've tested the bike up to 250lbs, we cannot make any guarantees about performance or durability above that weight

imo a little 350w geared motor is not the most robust motor for higher payloads.

Last edited:

There you go not reading what i wrote.. Was pretty clear that delivery was an assumption not a guarantee.. And squawk all you want, they have already collected over $3M plus they have another $1.2 in shipping charges to bill. Get over it.

Is anyone in the Santa Monica area going to the demo day on February 15? While I would have liked to save $100, I'll be expecting a wealth of information being available after the demo day.

Back