Can the Ripcurrent motor be upgraded?

330rcs

Can the 750w bafang rear hub system be upgraded to a higher powered system? Like one of those higher powered rear hub Mac motors? Is 1500w too much for this bike? Maybe 1000w then?

If you upgraded the motor then you would most likely have to upgrade the controller too, to handle the higher rated amps its going to push.

If you upgraded the motor then you would most likely have to upgrade the controller too, to handle the higher rated amps its going to push.

Can that be done? Where is the controller located? Obviously I wouldn't be doing this myself but by somebody qualified but just want to know if it can be done before I bought anything

Sure, it can be done on any ebike, but its going to be costly and time consuming. Follow the wires to your battery, usually the battery terminals are connected to the controller, but you have to take a few screws out. Its not 'easy'...you'd have to match the controller to the motor, and then probably get a new display that is compatible with the controller, as displays are rarely plug and play (unless same brand...and even then it can be weird).

Sure, it can be done on any ebike, but its going to be costly and time consuming. Follow the wires to your battery, usually the battery terminals are connected to the controller, but you have to take a few screws out. Its not 'easy'...you'd have to match the controller to the motor, and then probably get a new display that is compatible with the controller, as displays are rarely plug and play (unless same brand...and even then it can be weird).

How do I know which motor/controller would be compatible? I have a bafang 750w rear hub in a 26" wheel 4" fat tire and a 52v 19.2ah battery

If anyone is interested, I'm in the process of developing a metal planetary gear kit for the Bafang RM G060.750.DC motor to replace the plastic planetary gears it comes with. I'm also testing ceramic bearing and other bearings for the gears as well. After I do testing, I hopefully will be able to offer them direct in a kit complete with the grease and security bit to open the motor.

In terms of sound or reliability?
The metal gear will be louder, but I am not sure about the reliability.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about blown motor because of metal gear.
I've seen more positive feedback for added reliability, but I don't have stats or anything.
I was referring to sound, which I think would be okay with with straight metal toothed gears,as opposed tom the helical gears in the video you attached.

Plastic high speed straight (spur-style) gears tend to fail after a few years of use. I cannot think of anything I would like less than being stuck 30 miles from home with a 70 pound bike with shattered gear fragments in my motor.

I would gladly trade a little more whining sound for reliability. I will also say in my experience, when plastic teeth break, It usually happens without warning. When metal teeth have issues, they tend to "complain" before breaking, and even when they break, they can keep going without shattering the entire gear. I learned this in the early 1980's when I ran one of the first R/C clubs on the east coast. After the second season of hard racing, everyone went from plastic gears and bronze bushings to metal gears and ball bearings as soon as they were offered. Catastrophic issues almost ceased entirely. It's the exact same thing here.

I know this is not a good reference because it was a mid drive, not hub drive... but I have heard of metal gear converted ebike.
It was LOUD.. It sounded like a coffee grinder. :confused:

But I think I have seen a video on Luna Cycle's YouTube channel that they have developed a relatively quiet metal gear, so I guess it all depends.
Hope yours will work out well.
Thanks, I'll be testing several alloys. Maybe even carbon fiber if I can find someplace thats even doing cf gears.

Back