Camera install

Spaghetti888

Region
United Kingdom
I've seen that there've been some discussions about using sports cams on bikes so here's my solution.

I live in London and regularly see cyclists and motorbikers with them mounted on helmets, obviously to record any incidents. Made sense to me - I have a dual one in my car and I've had more than a few close shaves on my bike to make me think I that it'd be a no-brainer on two wheels too. I really didn't fancy a helmet cam for a number of reasons. Aesthetics for one - it's just me. Secondly, it's rumoured that Michael Schumacher's current predicament was a result of him hitting his Gopro on a rock and puncturing through... Citation needed, but nevertheless, I didn't fancy it. I also wanted to not have to remove it to change batteries or delete files. I didn't want to remove it at all - I wanted to get on my bike and commute an hour and back without fuss. I also wanted front and rear recording so two sports cams were out of the question - two memory cards and who knows how many batteries I would've needed.
I like to tinker with stuff so in the end, I impulse-bought a motorbike DVR - the "Vsysto P6F" from ALI Express.... Full HD (anything more uses more memory anyway) and 300° capture front and back and crucially, with loop recording. Also has a handy WiFi app for file transfer straight to phone or use it as a remote control to take selfies from the bike... At this point, I didn't really know what I'd be doing. I just knew that my ebike battery would have more than enough juice to power it. The DVR unit is mounted inside a dedicated 3D printed enclosure in the frame and runs off a step-down voltage converter that has four USB ports. One powers the DVR. The ebike battery itself has a USB port but puts out a lousy 1A so I added an additional rubberised motorbike USB extension with water cover on the side. The dashcam came with a remote control that allows the rider to lock the clip that's being recorded so I incorporated this into the enclosure design.
The cameras themselves are quite large - the image quality does reflect this. The provided mounts are meant to either adhere or be screwed to a flat surface. I ditched those and 3D printed a mount under the saddle and one for the handlebar extension. I'm hoping to remove the handlebar extension at some point as it's quite cluttered up front so I might make an even more discreet mount.
The DVR unit and cabling is quite robust and heavy - makes sense as it was designed for the rigours of a motorbike. In hindsight I would've gone for a smaller car-based system but then it wouldn't have been as hardy or waterproof. I've actually had the cameras mounted on the bike for several months now and my wife never noticed....
This was my first test run...
20201112_151327.jpg
IMG_20201112_160149_889.jpg
IMG_20201112_160149_901.jpg
IMG_20201112_160149_897.jpg
IMG_20200311_224208.jpg
20201109_180833.jpg
20201108_005524.jpg
20201103_233907.jpg
IMG_20201022_074307_718.jpg
IMG_20201103_202806_537.jpg

Man I wish I was even a milligram of tech savvy as you! Very nicely done. I'll just find something off the shelf ready because I don't have the tech knowledge to make something like that work. Again. very nicely done!

This is excellent. I need a 3D printer in my life. I'm quite happy running action cameras front and rear with a USB battery but I find that mounting is always a compromise between cameras being easy to remove and being mounted solidly. Do you ever have to lock up your bike in front of a shop? If so, how do you deal with the potential theft of accessories?

This is excellent. I need a 3D printer in my life. I'm quite happy running action cameras front and rear with a USB battery but I find that mounting is always a compromise between cameras being easy to remove and being mounted solidly. Do you ever have to lock up your bike in front of a shop? If so, how do you deal with the potential theft of accessories?
Thanks dude. Look into Creality Ender 3 - one of the more brands with lots of user support on Facebook, etc.
I leave it outside shops no problem. I don't spend long inside anyway. I'm more worried about the display more than anything anyway. The cams are discreet and camouflaged by a few accessories anyway. Also, the material is quite strong and difficult to break - not something an opportunist would be able to do.
Man I wish I was even a milligram of tech savvy as you! Very nicely done. I'll just find something off the shelf ready because I don't have the tech knowledge to make something like that work. Again. very nicely done!
It's not too hard really!
Sweet build! Hopefully you wont 'have' to use it...
Yeah - the memory card is a b*tch to get to anyway!
If I was a commuter I'd be all over that. Nicely done!
Thanks!

That looks like the Juiced Horn, is it?

I just ordered one myself in need of a good actual horn for my ebike

That looks like the Juiced Horn, is it?

I just ordered one myself in need of a good actual horn for my ebike
Yeah, I bells are next to useless on busy roads - no one expects a cyclist to honk!
It's something similar to this below. Mine came with a brushed metal bezel and a bright shiny red centre. I thought it was way too conspicuous so I painted it matte black. It was a small pot of Plastikote - much cheaper and more environmentally-friendly than cans - painted it on with a brush (and also on the stainless mudguard struts). Can't see the brush strokes from a distance... I hated the removable silicon strap button so I cut it off, bought a push button from ebay for £1.25 and 3D printed a housing and fastened clamp. Since the whole thing is irremoveable, I simply recharge it from the ebike battery every now and again and it keeps going for a few months. It's loud, but not 12v motorcycle loud. Adequate for road use but not maybe the cycle paths...haha...
20201111_224132.jpg

IMG_20201018_183511_354.jpg

20201015_084325.jpg

20201111_224113.jpg

£19.39 34%OFF | USB Charging Ring Electric Horn Anti-theft MTB Road Bicycle Bell With Alarm Loud Sound dzwonek rowerowy Cycling Safety Alarm

Last edited:
Oh yeah, exactly the same I'd say. My one wasn't the alarmed version. The sale page I bought mine from states that it comes with a 1300mAh battery but when I opened it up it, it was less than half. But it seems to last a while. This is the exact one I got:
£18.94 32%OFF | Bicycle Bell Electric Horn with Alarm Super Sound for Scooter MTB Bike USB Charging 1300mAh Safety Anti-theft Alarm 125db Loud

Yeah, I bells are next to useless on busy roads - no one expects a cyclist to honk!
It's something similar to this below. Mine came with a brushed metal bezel and a bright shiny red centre. I thought it was way too conspicuous so I painted it matte black. It was a small pot of Plastikote - much cheaper and more environmentally-friendly than cans - painted it on with a brush (and also on the stainless mudguard struts). Can't see the brush strokes from a distance... I hated the removable silicon strap button so I cut it off, bought a push button from ebay for £1.25 and 3D printed a housing and fastened clamp. Since the whole thing is irremoveable, I simply recharge it from the ebike battery every now and again and it keeps going for a few months. It's loud, but not 12v motorcycle loud. Adequate for road use but not maybe the cycle paths...haha...
View attachment 72785View attachment 72786View attachment 72787View attachment 72789£19.39 34%OFF | USB Charging Ring Electric Horn Anti-theft MTB Road Bicycle Bell With Alarm Loud Sound dzwonek rowerowy Cycling Safety Alarm
Well done! ;)

Last edited:
Back