C9 Saddle Rails Too Wide.....

Ridin222

Hi all,

While still working on our Ride1UP 700 ST's brake and cassette issue, I decided to step back for a moment and install some accessories we bought. I tried installing the C9 saddles, but the rails are too wide for the seat post clamp. The rails are steel and will not budge. What do I do? Are not all saddle rails alike in width? Please help!

Thanks.

C9's are a little wide, but I've found that the rails will pull together as you tighten the bracket that holds them to the seat post.

No clue why they do that. It seems like a quality seat otherwise.

Hi all,

While still working on our Ride1UP 700 ST's brake and cassette issue, I decided to step back for a moment and install some accessories we bought. I tried installing the C9 saddles, but the rails are too wide for the seat post clamp. The rails are steel and will not budge. What do I do? Are not all saddle rails alike in width? Please help!

Thanks.

It should fit. Work it a little bit

C9's are a little wide, but I've found that the rails will pull together as you tighten the bracket that holds them to the seat post.

No clue why they do that. It seems like a quality seat otherwise.
I will try that, but I don't see how it will work as the rails are quite wider than the clamp. I can only get one side of the clamp in, the other sits on the outside of the rail. There is no way for me to pull it over as there is no give. It feels Superman proof. 😏

Image of rails and clamp

Attachments

• 20201118_093148.jpg
    20201118_093148.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 372
Here ya go

Attachments

• 20201119_094940.jpg
    20201119_094940.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 20201119_094948.jpg
    20201119_094948.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 412
Do you have a vice you could use to squeeze them together a bit?

I see three options for success... 😉
  1. Start the clamp at the narrow end of the saddle and gradually pull the rails inward as you work back to the center.
  2. Try a C-clamp or vise to pull the rails together and then clamp the Seatpost.
  3. If all else fails, a new Seatpost or saddle may be the ticket!

I see three options for success... 😉
  1. Start the clamp at the narrow end of the saddle and gradually pull the rails inward as you work back to the center.
  2. Try a C-clamp or vise to pull the rails together and then clamp the Seatpost.
  3. If all else fails, a new Seatpost or saddle may be the ticket!
No, no vise. I barely have any tools as it is. Just the basics sitting around. I will try the narrow end and pull the rails inward as you suggested. But how do I 'pull' the rails in when they don't move at all? There is no flex, zero, nada. I see sooooo many have the C9 seats on their bikes, including the Ride1Up. So I'm unsure why mine won't work. I'be had nothing but issues since delivery and am super frustrated as it is, and now this. 😤

Do you have a vice you could use to squeeze them together a bit?
No, no vise. Just basic tools layin around. I just don't understand this. Soo many others have the same seat, and on the same bike too. My luck with this bike in general has not been great. But I'll keep trying.

I struggled a little switching to a new seat, but you should absolutely be able to get it to fit. Max loosen the seat post bolts and start at the narrow end like Flat suggests.

I have nothing but a hammer, a few screwdrivers, a couple of wrenches and maybe a pair of small pliers. I am asking around if anyone has something useful I can borrow. Plus the bikes still don't even ride right and I am trying to fix that as well (brake and cassette issue, maybe even chain). We've had them for over a month now and have ridden maybe 5 times due to all the issues. I regret buying these at this point, to be honest. I wanted an e-bike, still do, especially as I am under docs orders to get out and ride for health reasons. But I didn't know I would need to be a mechanic or pay hundreds for a mechanic to fix things even though the bikes are brand new. It's been disappointing. But again, I'm sticking with it and still trying.

I have nothing but a hammer, a few screwdrivers, a couple of wrenches and maybe a pair of small pliers. I am asking around if anyone has something useful I can borrow. Plus the bikes still don't even ride right and I am trying to fix that as well (brake and cassette issue, maybe even chain). We've had them for over a month now and have ridden maybe 5 times due to all the issues. I regret buying these at this point, to be honest. I wanted an e-bike, still do, especially as I am under docs orders to get out and ride for health reasons. But I didn't know I would need to be a mechanic or pay hundreds for a mechanic to fix things even though the bikes are brand new. It's been disappointing. But again, I'm sticking with it and still trying.
Stick with it... the health benefits are worth it. ;)

It sounds like you are a good candidate to use the Velofix service. I'm sure they could get both of your bikes up and running.

It sounds like you are a good candidate to use the Velofix service. I'm sure they could get both of your bikes up and running.

Yep, used them. Twice, actually. Even they couldn't figure out the kickstand hitting, the brake or the cassette noise. She actually suggested I get a new wheel or a new bike sent to me. When I told that to Kevin and R1U support, instead they just keep trying to walk me through fixes, even sending me youtube videos and pics. I have tried all suggested, yet the issues remain. I am super frustrated with all of it. So I was taking a step back, a breather if you will, and decided to install some accessories. Ya know, have SOME sort of fun with the bikes. Then that's when the bike seat issue appeared; the rails are too wide and the clamp won't fit. So for the last few days, I have literally not even attempted anything with the bikes. I feel, I dunno, sorta deflated with them I guess at this point.

Back