Buying an e-bike on-line: some considerations for decision making

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

In the past year, I have witnessed a strong increase in a lot more local consumers, contacting my shop for "help" with their on-line purchased ebike. They are often desperate for assistance, because of a) their on-line purchase was not supported by the on-line company they bought from b) they were not capable of following the on-line company's support or trouble-shooting procedures IF that help was even available, or c) they simply did not have the tools, or the experience working with electronics or mechanical items.

So here are some friendly tips before you make the decision to buy on-line:

1) Strongly suggest you evaluate if you are indeed capable of all bike repairs, and have some years of trouble-shooting all sorts of appliances, and even better electronics. There are very few bike shops willing to take on ebikes at all, and there are even fewer with mechanics or people with electronics trouble-shooting on their respective staffs, IF you can find one willing to service a brand they did not sell. E-Bikes are WAY different in that while regular bikes use many standard components that service techs are used to, and even if they haven't seen a specific brand of component before, they can still usually do the repair. (i.e. with cranks, derailleurs, cogsets, cassettes, cables, shifters, hydraulics, etc.) With ebikes NO TWO ebikes are the same on a majority of the ebike related components. Everyone uses a different controller, different displays, different connectors, different motors, different cable styles, different brake inhibitors, and on and on. The odds are very low any dealer will be willing to take the service repair on, even if they have a generally competent staff, because the infrastructure just doesn't exist presently, for securing parts for brands a dealer doesn't carry.

2) If you are ok with the above risk, and do an honest assessment of your skill sets, then consider also buying at the time of purchase the following extra parts to have on hand. I'll tell you why this is very important at this time in the ebike industry in a moment.
a) Buy an extra controller
b) extra wiring harness
c) extra pedal assist sensor
d) extra brake inhibitor cable/brake lever for both sides
e) extra display
f) extra throttle
g) even an extra battery if you can afford it.

3) The primary reason to have the above on hand is for trouble-shooting the electronics, and the second reason is for potential long delays, or the company not having your part in stock. Many times, and I have witnessed this personally, dealing with on-line vendors (for customers I was willing to help out), the folks on the supplier end simply are not very good at trouble-shooting themselves, and usually ask the wrong questions. Not being able to see the product first hand, and try things out, they often start sending parts, one at a time to try to 'help you out.' It might be weeks before you get to the part that is correct, and solves the problem. Often they wait until the end to send you the most expensive part, since they figure you won't want to spend very much initially to solve the problem, and they hope its the cheapest part.

Sure you can send parts back, but the problem with this strategy, is it takes too long and is very frustrating, since you have no parts on hand to try something out. Dealers, who have a lot of brands, can carry these parts for their own brands, but again if you are buying a ebike on line, very few dealers are likely going to want to carry these parts from someone who competes on-line.

Also, trouble-shooting by a dealer, is very time consuming, and you likely wont enjoy the 'bill' you get for all the time the dealer has to spend to find out the problem (that is, if you can find a dealer willing to take in your on-line brand for service) The dealer HAS to charge for that time, and it will take him/her longer if its a brand he/she doesn't carry.

4) Another reason to order spare parts at the time of purchase, is that these ebike components are changing all the time, from year to year, with maybe minor improvements, or likely cost reductions, as the industry grows. The odds of the on-line vendor continuing to carry those parts for you is very low, because today most vendors (and there are over 300 brands alone here in the US) are fighting tooth and nail just to stay afloat, and try to be competitive. Very hard to stay competitive, with so many new components changing very quickly, and suppliers of those components themselves being mostly Asia based, continually go out of business in very short periods of time, because in China right now there is immense over capacity in all areas, and their margins are even slimmer than businesses here in the US. So if you don't get the part right away, you are essentially gambling the entire amount of your purchase price, and HOPING your ebike doen't become a boat anchor, because you could not get the obsolete part, that was maybe only produced a year ago.

Suddenly that 'cheap' $700, or $1000, or $1600, or $2000 on-line ebike purchase AIN'T so cheap, as now you can't get it fixed, nor can you find the part. I have seen this happen this year, as someone called me who only bought the ebike a year ago, could not figure out if it was a battery, or controller, and worse could not find anywhere the right controller.

Please don't get angry or be 'baffled' that no dealers are willing to even look at your ebike, let alone help repair it, because many by now know that its a time consuming rabbit hole to attempt to diagnose and fix a brand that was bought on-line and you as the dealer don't have your friendly OEM who you've come to know, to help you diagnose issues. A lot of purveyors on line, are simply 'white labeling' some obscure company in Asia, that go out of business quickly, to re appear as another firm with a different name, especially if the stuff they sold had lots of failures and they want to dodge 'warranty'. An insidious way they dodge repairs and warranties is they will make the buyer (dealer or individual) pay to send the failed part back (if you can figure out the right failed part - very hard with electronics), before they will send you a new one at no charge. And make you pay for shipping both ways. The part is nearly always a large chunk of the cost of all the electric components that went on the bike in the first place to make it so 'cheap' to sell.

Numbers of ebikes sold here in the US is still very very small (less than a few hundred thousand annually), so there really isn't enough of a market for any one entity to become a 'parts source' and again with 300 brands out there, and more coming every week, the number of parts and sku's makes any investment in spares a non-starter for anyone with deep pockets willing to take the risk. About the only brand who has sold enough world wide to be able to find parts for consistently, is that of the after-market kit seller called Bafang. Even then you can't deal directly with Bafang , unless you are very high volume distributor. And from what I have heard, they are a PITA to deal with even if you are one of their high volume distributors.

Final Word of Caution - if you have no electrical or electronic experience, especially if you have none with lithium batteries, by all means DO NOT attempt to do any trouble-shooting on your own, and DO NOT open the batteries. This may seem like obvious common sense, but these battery packs are filled with very high density and very high power battery cells, that can cause very serious injury if mis-handled in any way, or the wrong wires are touched or grounded. DC power is thought to be 'safe' but nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to these batteries and trouble-shooting. AND keep in mind, if a battery fails, you cannot ship it back, unless you are a HAZMAT certified shipper. So buying these on-line, ask the company if they will be willing to send you an empty box with pre-paid labeling, and HAZMAT certification, such that you can return a battery that needs repair or trouble-shooting. Things that can go wrong with these batteries are mind boggling, in terms of BMS's, driver failures, bad software programming, and on and on. This is the one component you truly want to buy your ebike from a local dealer. And if its a mid drive motor on the ebike you are choosing, that is also another component, you really should buy from a local dealer, and one that has staff on-site to handle the repair and replacement. Even savvy techs can quickly get in over the head on mid drive trouble-shooting, and so company's make mid-drive returns mandatory back to the factory and dont even allow dealer repair. You are talking a VERY stiff bill for at least $600 minimum when that is out of warranty, and more along the lines of $800 to $1000.

CAVEAT EMPTOR !

Why would someone buy an e-bike from Amazon. There is more junk on Amazon than good products. They do not weed out the poor performing companies.

@Deleted Member 4210 , thanks for sharing your experience. I think it is hard for folks to understand what might be involved with buying an ebike in terms of what might go wrong, and why getting repairs for that $700 bike might be difficult. It's rough for folks who only have $700 to buy a bike in the first place, though. I do assume, though that reputable bike shops also have payment plans for their bikes.

I just met a guy while pedaling around one of the San Juan Islands who uses an ebike for his kayaking business. He said he has 20,000 (estimated) on his ebike that he got in 2011. Thought of that way, even though his bike was an expensive "local bike store" ebike, his bike is still going strong, and when something has gone wrong it has been easily fixed. The mileage is estimated because his display failed and had to be replaced a few years ago, so it doesn't show the correct total mileage for the bike. I noticed his battery was color-matched to the bike--I asked "Is that the original battery?" "Yep!" he answered. Everything else is original, too--he said he has replaced the tires, and is due to replace them again soon. An expensive product doesn't turn out to be so expensive if it works reliably for years and years and miles and miles of use. I am going to post about this guy on a new thread (I'll call it something like "eBike sightings in the wild"), but thought I'd mention it here since it's an example of how a bike with local bike shop and brand customer support can, even if was a higher-priced product when purchased, end up being an economical purchase in the long run.

It seems like your options are:
  • Buy from established brand with a dealer network (e.g. Pedego)
  • Buy on-line from someone who has partners who will service the bike (e.g. how Rad Power and Velofix partner)
  • Buy a bike that your local bike shop can service (e.g. many shops are certified to work on Bosch drive systems so theoretically they can service any bike using a Bosch drive system)
  • Buy a bike your local bike shop sells, presumably they will be able to fix it when it breaks
Some of the corner cases get weird: e.g. you can buy Pedego e-bikes on Amazon.

Why would someone buy an e-bike from Amazon. There is more junk on Amazon than good products. They do not weed out the poor performing companies.
Unused "gift cards" from relatives, or friends ? Convenience ? Returnable ? Late night Impulse buy on Ipad ? Comfort of On-line 'Vine' reviews ? Other than that, No clue. Lol.

My 80 year old dad did buy via Amazon, after trying my daughter's 24" Pedego Interceptor. I think his main reason was that he wasn't sure if he'd like riding an ebike (he felt very wobbly and uncomfortable during his ride of my daughter's bike, which was his first time riding a bike in decades, though he had a good enough experience that he decided he wanted to have his own bike to practice on), and the low price point made it an acceptable risk for him. He rides his bike every day, but not for many miles--maybe 5 miles a day? He is also a electrical engineer (retired), so I think he figures that he can keep the bike working. Methinks that if it all dies on him he could always buy a kit to work around the problem. Time will show whether it ends up to being a good purchase for him.

BTW, when his charger failed, Amazon was helpful in facilitating him getting a replacement charger. They offered to send him a charger, but recommended he get one via the brand so his warranty would remain valid. That's what my dad did. He received the replacement charger rather quickly.

There is hardly anyone that is more of an advocate for the LBS than me. But my first eBike purchase in May 2016 was a $500 2015 model year second hand Indiegogo funding Sondors fat bike. I bought a generic Chinese upgrade controller and display right away to control the PAS levels. I had to adjust the open bearings on the front axle, and one pedal and grease all of them as they were pretty dry. I then rode it 1,700 problem free miles. Then the first problem, the motor failed. But with the huge owner support on a Facebook page, I was put in contact with a guy that works with Sondors. I sent him the motor, he soldered some cold joints and sent it back. No labor charge, just had to pay for shipping both ways. Unfortunately, the motor again failed after less than 10 miles. I had to wait a couple of months for motors to come from China, but the gentleman sent me a brand new motor. This time no charge at all for the new motor, free shipping. I do have to ship the old motor back. I'm still on the original brake pads and original tires. So despite a number of cheap bike horror stories, there are some good stories as well. I'm new to being a bicycle mechanic, but being raised on a farm and rebuilding several car engines, I have no problem getting out my wrenches. I consider that a necessity for on-line bikes.

then consider also buying at the time of purchase the following extra parts to have on hand. I'll tell you why this is very important at this time in the ebike industry in a moment.
a) Buy an extra controller
b) extra wiring harness
c) extra pedal assist sensor
d) extra brake inhibitor cable/brake lever for both sides
e) extra display
f) extra throttle
g) even an extra battery if you can afford it.

I would just buy a second bike! :D

My 80 year old dad did buy via Amazon, after trying my daughter's 24" Pedego Interceptor. I think his main reason was that he wasn't sure if he'd like riding an ebike (he felt very wobbly and uncomfortable during his ride of my daughter's bike, which was his first time riding a bike in decades, though he had a good enough experience that he decided he wanted to have his own bike to practice on), and the low price point made it an acceptable risk for him. He rides his bike every day, but not for many miles--maybe 5 miles a day? He is also a electrical engineer (retired), so I think he figures that he can keep the bike working. Methinks that if it all dies on him he could always buy a kit to work around the problem. Time will show whether it ends up to being a good purchase for him.

BTW, when his charger failed, Amazon was helpful in facilitating him getting a replacement charger. They offered to send him a charger, but recommended he get one via the brand so his warranty would remain valid. That's what my dad did. He received the replacement charger rather quickly.

Yep, maybe not a prototypical Amazon user, but nearly classic profile of an on-line buyer for an EBIKE.... electrical engineer (from a generation more likely used to fixing things), 80 years old (doesn't likely need it to last 'forever' so dont risk spending too much), knows he wont ride it far, so why spend a lot of money, also from a generation of people who grew up more 'frugal' than the rest of us. 3 to 4 reasons, easy, for low price choice. EE's are also known to be fairly independent minded... last thing they would do is walk into a local bike shop or ebike store, and ask someone who they suspect (most correctly) is likely not as smart as they are about things electrical, about something like an ebike. Several of my good friends are EE's.

I would just buy a second bike! :D
Depending on the brand, those parts (excluding battery) would total less than $200. I'm fairly certain you can't even buy an Ancheer for that low of a price. ;)

Depending on the brand, those parts (excluding battery) would total less than $200. I'm fairly certain you can't even buy an Ancheer for that low of a price. ;)

I have a Haibike Trekking RC. After I bought it, I contemplated buying a 24" wheel Haibike, just because at the time some shops had it on clearance for $999. The Yamaha components alone are worth that much.

This reinforces my fear of buying an online ebike.. I'm pretty handy with mechanical stuff and work with Lithium batteries and brushless motors/contollers in the RC airplane hobby but hey, if a contoller or BMS fails, you aren't going to be able to "fix" it and will most likely need a new component. Haibike dealer is three hours away, right now that might be my go to place as the Giant bike dealer an hour away refuses to order or sell me an e-mtn bike and will only sell me a townie style ebike

EE's are also known to be fairly independent minded... last thing they would do is walk into a local bike shop or ebike store, and ask someone who they suspect (most correctly) is likely not as smart as they are about things electrical, about something like an ebike. Several of my good friends are EE's.

Yep! He wouldn't step into a bike shop to ask a question. No way. He is very independent minded. I was actually amazed that he even was willing to try an ebike at my house, and then quite pleasantly surprised that he got one. It's made a nice improvement in his life--he's more active and his having fun tinkering with the bike, making his own rear-view mirrors, maybe upgrading the hub motor, etc. :)

my go to place as the Giant bike dealer an hour away refuses to order or sell me an e-mtn bike and will only sell me a townie style ebike

Have you spoken with the store owner at the bike store that won't sell you the model that you want to buy, or just to sales clerks or floor manager types?

Nice write up. I generally try and do business with local owners but in my case there are none. I built mine and for most people it's the first e-bike they have seen. Nearest dealer is two plus hours away. I got some good help here in finishing mine up but without question it's an easier road to deal with a local dealer.

The OP has some valid points about purchasing online, but I think some of it is a little overly cautious and pessimistic about the veracity of online companies. I bought a decent quality bike online and it was good purchase. After some time, the battery had an issue with capacity and the seller sent me a replacement immediately. The battery was of a higher capacity and I had not even returned the old one yet. Sure, if you're the kind of person who's uncomfortable with a derailleur and chain or fixing your own flat tire, maybe an online purchase is ill advised. As is buying an extremely cheap product. Odds are, $500 or even $1000 e-bike bought new online is not likely to be of great quality. Sure, there are exceptions, but this wouldn't be the rule.

I would agree that it's wise to try the bike before you buy because one cannot tell how a bike will feel based solely on specs and just reading / watching reviews doesn't tell the whole story. Many reviewers are manufacturers or work with closely dealers and are thus unlikely to comment on all the negative aspects of a bike. Also, what one person finds an acceptable ride may not be acceptable to the next person. The last time I purchased a bike, I went into it very bullish on a couple of models but immediately ruled them out based on the test ride. I settled on a bike that did not impress me based on photos or specs. The test ride revealed that it was quite simply the best solution for my particular set of needs.

Please have the scruples not to try a bike at the local bike shop and then buy the same bike online without at least giving the LBS a chance to attempt a price match. Most of them don't have huge profit margins and they deserve local support. On the whole, they are not the the bicycle equivalent of a new car dealer. And when we need help, they are there for us.

There you have it - my opinion of the online and local buying experience. And it is only that. Based on some, but hardly an all inclusive set of experiences.

Mike brings forth a lot of good talking points. We have purchase ebikes via both channels. I prefer the LBS.

I think it's highly inappropriate for a dealer to disparage on-line sellers. That sure wouldn't fly on any other forum I know of. And they aren't the space shuttle. Most maintenance is fairly easy. If you need your hand held and told what a wonderful bike you have and you made such an excellent choice , I guess only consider a LBS.

I found this post useful from the perspective if the bike-repair-shop aspect of things.

As a non-technical person, I learned something here about the difficulties of trouble-shooting electrical systems when a repair shop doesn't have all of the parts on hand to be able to swap out a controller, for example, to see if that's where the problem is, or swap out a battery, or whatever, but has to deal with things mailed to them one at a time including problems with ensuing wait-times. That was informative for me. I also know people who have ended up with unfixable ebikes (including the guy across the street from me). That is a discouraging experience. The repair shop's problem wouldn't I think, be limited only to online ebike sales, but probably would include situations where a shop wasn't a dealer for a particular bike that came through the door.

Lots of things to think about when buying a bike--what can one afford? Is local service available? If a brand isn't supported locally, does it supply strong customer service from a distance? What does it mean to have strong customer service (like, will the brand send out multiple parts at a time to a bike shop for trouble-shooting?) Having members who run repair departments can provide a perspective that's hard to get from an end-user, so I appreciated the post for that reason.

Last edited:
Back