BULLS announces new 150-mile-range trekking electric bike

Court reviewed the bike. No date on review but the video is posted 2019 July 18

A more realistic range is listed in Court's review... ;)

Estimated Min Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Estimated Max Range: 100 miles (161 km)

Is it a 48v X 15.6 Amps ? Or 36x20amps ?
Either way, it can most likely be charged at 8amps with a Satiator Charger And that’s the only BIG advantage.

Here are the Battery specs...

Battery Brand: BMZ 18650 Cells
Battery Voltage: 37.5 volts
Battery Amp Hours: 20 ah
Battery Watt Hours: 750 wh
Battery Chemistry: Nickel Cobalt Aluminum (NCA)
Charge Time: 5.5 hours 4.5 Amp BMZ Charger

Here are the Battery specs...

Battery Brand: BMZ 18650 Cells
Battery Voltage: 37.5 volts
Battery Amp Hours: 20 ah
Battery Watt Hours: 750 wh
Battery Chemistry: Nickel Cobalt Aluminum (NCA)
Charge Time: 5.5 hours 4.5 Amp BMZ Charger

it says 21700 cells on Court’s review battery pics.

In Canada all ebikes are limited to 32kph. Sadly, we don't have a class of ebike that will go faster under power.
Oh, I understand now. I was explained that before and forgot about that. Still, 32 km/h is better than European 25 km/h.

I simply don't think it'll do 100 miles even.
At 15 whr/ mile for a class 1 bike, with 750whr battery would do ~60 miles but not more.

This kind of range estimate is what real journalists abhor...
This was my first thought out of the gate. Seems highly unlikely any rider is going to get close to 150mls of range. Perhaps a dual battery setup, but not a single one. Why would they even try to advertise this to the average consumer? Are potential customers in general that naive? I have not seen any of the other mainstream companies do this kind of advert to boost sales IMHO.

it says 21700 cells on Court’s review battery pics.

This data is from Court's review... ;)

I simply don't think it'll do 100 miles even.
At 15 whr/ mile for a class 1 bike, with 750whr battery would do ~60 miles but not more.

This kind of range estimate is what real journalists abhor...

Totally agree with your assessment, using my own real world experience with my Full FatSix. I do believe it was Bulls who used to advertise in pubs like Electric Bike Action that their Bosch drive ebikes were good for 90-100 miles on a charge (specific number escapes me as it's been a few years now).

90 to 100 is doable of course, if you are using the lowest power setting, with a tailwind and no hills. Otherwise not much different then pedaling with no power assist at all!

on my bills that has the speed motor last years model with the 500 watt battery I ride in turbo or sport mostly at 20 mph it shows I can get 60 miles out of the battery. it always underestimates the distance os maybe 100 miles is possible.

on my bills that has the speed motor last years model with the 500 watt battery I ride in turbo or sport mostly at 20 mph it shows I can get 60 miles out of the battery. it always underestimates the distance os maybe 100 miles is possible.
So you can get 100 miles at 20mph with a 500 powerpack and performance speed motor? Really? That is very hard to believe. How much do you weigh and what size tires to you have?

So you can get 100 miles at 20mph with a 500 powerpack and performance speed motor? Really? That is very hard to believe. How much do you weigh and what size tires to you have?
I I did say 60 but I left out in tour setting I would get 60. thats always going too be where you get the max range. I usually go between 17 and 20 or a bit faster on my rides and the computes shows in tour I would get 60 miles in range.

I know,.....I've mentioned my shortlist a pile of times now, but this bike is currently at the top of it.
740 Wh battery, Brose mid-drive, Gates belt, Shimano 5 speed hub and twist-grip shifting. Hell, I still ride a two decade old Cannondale with the Sachs twist-grip. (F900 MTB with Fatty HeadShok)
I dealt hands-on with Gates carbon belts in HVAC applications for almost 15 years. They are bulletproof.
I am aware that the two can't share the same construction but I have no doubt they will last.
The belt will be the first thing I'd look at when seeing the EVO in real life anyway..
No derailleur, no gear cluster in the final drive, no conventional chainring. My only concern is how tough the 5 speed hubs are and how adequate a job 5 gears do in real world riding.
I'll have to continue my search for reviews and hope Shimano did their homework.
I watched Court's review of the Lacuba for a second time and kind of think the belt/no cassette/no derailleur/ is the way things may be headed, at least on mid to higher end ebikes. Don't
have to look any further than R&M bikes.
I think it's a bit shady publishing over-optimistic range numbers, but real world estimations of range look acceptable to me.
Here in Canada the Bulls is a bit over $6K. Less than the new price Specialized put on their top Vado. Cube's Kathmandu 625 EXC is slightly cheaper and the new OHM Quest Sport essentially the same $. The latter two and the EVO are where I'm at now.
Anyone able to point me to any Shimano 5 speed hub reviews? There's not exactly a bunch out there.
Thanks.
CN

Last edited:
Back