Brought a new Vado 5.0 home today!

Thank you guys, can I ask a draft silly question - anyone with a Vado are you meant to receive a battery key? To remove the battery? Mines not in the black box supplied. Urgh
That's absolutely wrong. You should have got a pair of keys and Abus Plus Code card. Aren't the keys in the charger case?
(Are we talking about the full power Vado or Vado SL?)

That's absolutely wrong. You should have got a pair of keys and Abus Plus Code card. Aren't the keys in the charger case?
(Are we talking about the full power Vado or Vado SL?)

This is only half true Stefan. The pair of keys were supposed to come with it. But Specialized moved to AXA on the new bikes this year (at least the Vado and Como). One of the 2 keys has a sticker on it with your code. No Abus card (or AXA card for that matter).

One of the 2 keys has a sticker on it with your code. No Abus card (or AXA card for that matter).
Thank you for the information Oni! Still, Shegotnext should have received the keys for her full power Vado.

My LBS zip tied my bike and frame lock keys to the saddle rails specifically for this reason. It was funny. He watched me clip the zip ties in the store and said out loud, your responsibility now! I was about to load it on my rack, so fair enough because I didn’t want them dangling going down the road.

Thank you guys, can I ask a draft silly question - anyone with a Vado are you meant to receive a battery key? To remove the battery? Mines not in the black box supplied. Urgh
Mine was in the black box. The sales guy made sure I took a photo of the key serial number and wrote it down in the owners manual in the event that it is lost to facilitate getting a replacement.

Hi Camasonian, I was wondering if you could give an update on your bike?
I sold my Giant on Friday and the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket :D

Just wondering if you're experiencing the same issues GuruUno had with the IGH version (errors)?
I am torn between this 5.0 and the Tero 5.0, both I currently have access to. I was fortunate to ride these back to back.

Thanks in advance :cool:

Just wondering if you're experiencing the same issues GuruUno had with the IGH version (errors)?
I am torn between this 5.0 and the Tero 5.0, both I currently have access to. I was fortunate to ride these back to back.

Never had those errors on mine. Some random small stuff that the remote reset the first day. But nothing really after. If you don’t want to risk issues with new tech, go for the chain drive. But I’m really enjoying the IGH so far.

For mirror, I am using the Hafny below mounted below so view is not obstructed by my arm :)
Mirror.jpg

Never had those errors on mine. Some random small stuff that the remote reset the first day. But nothing really after. If you don’t want to risk issues with new tech, go for the chain drive. But I’m really enjoying the IGH so far.
Thx for the reply...yeah the only thing available in my area is the chain drive version.

I have mine super tight both on the handlebar and mirror, and it is OK even on trails.
It does get out of position easily if hit by something...

I like the Azur Orbit bar-end mirror. It has good adjustment and doesn’t vibrate when riding.

I think Azur is an Australian company so I don’t know if the same mirror is available in other counties.

View attachment 118969
Could I easily fit something like this to a 2018 Como? thank you - I am a total beginner at e-biking and was given the como, which I LOVE!

Upon picking up the Como 5.0 for my wife on Friday, the sales manager tole me in his opinion the IGH was a bit premature for release and suggested that it was not ready for prime time. I agree. All you can do if so inclined is get one and invoke your 30-day trial.

the sales manager tole me in his opinion the IGH was a bit premature for release and suggested that it was not ready for prime time. I agree. All you can do if so inclined is get one and invoke your 30-day trial.
This would have to be qualified to hold any value.
The Enviolo AutomatiQ has been used for a while in many other ebikes with zero issues to the point that R&M finally agreed to equip its bikes with it.
It is highly appreciated by people who took the time to understand it and calibrate it :)

Finally had a chance to ride both the Vado and Vado SL side by side today and brought home a brand new white Turbo Vado 5.0. This exact model pictured below (from the Specialized Web site). I'll take my own photos later. After riding and seeing both in-person it was pretty obvious that the Vado was going to be the right choice. I bought it from the E-Bike Store in North Portland and they were very good and easy to deal with so far. I can recommend them for anyone in the Portland area although we have a lot of choices here. I was hoping for a black one but the white is the first and only Vado 5.0 they have gotten from Specialized and there was no word on when other colors might arrive. So I bought it instead of risking this one getting sold and not getting a black on in a timely manner. I think the white will probably grow on me. I can put all black accessories on it and it will look good and not too "ninja".

Conclusions after doing a side-by-side ride and comparison between the Vado and Vado SL?

1. Riding positions are near identical or at least very similar. I didn't have the seat perfectly adjusted on the Vado SL but they both are at least quite similar in seating position and geometry. At least close enough that I couldn't really tell.
2. Vado is considerably quieter than the Vado SL. the SL motor has a persistent and constant whine that I expect one will quickly get used to. But the more powerful motor on the regular Vado was definitely quieter.
3. The display on the Vado seems more sophisticated and full featured compared to the SL. I may have been riding a 2021 model SL but it had a smaller black and white display. I didn't stand there and do a screen by screen comparison of the displays but the Vado was nicer to look at.
4. Personally I prefer the Shimano shifters on the Vado SL because that is what I'm used to with the thumb push and index finger pull to shift vs the SRAM on the Vado which is both thumb push to shift up and down. But that is pretty trivial. I'm thinking I may have been on a 2021 model SL because Specialized is showing that both the 2022 models are now SRAM.
5. Headlights appear identical, but the the Vado definitely has a far superior taillight integrated into the rear rack that also illuminates to the sides compared to the small fender-mounted tail light on the SL. Also the SL headlight is mounted on the underside of the handlebars which means any handlebar bag will block the headlight whereas the Vado headlight is mounted on the fork arch (see photo) so it is low enough to not be blocked by a handlebar bag.
6. Vado rack is far more robust which is somewhat important to me as I'll be carrying cargo from time to time.
7. The Vado SL with the far lighter frame/battery/wheels and fork is definitely a more nimble bike-like bike. I think for someone athletic for whom this is will be their primary bike for all uses including recreation the SL will be superior. But for me, I already have several good recreational road and mountain bikes and primarily need this new one for daily commuting in my hilly neighborhood. So the more robust and powerful Vado seems to meet my needs better.
8. The radar that warns of approaching cars from behind is pretty cool. You have both an indicator on the display (white dot that moves up the screen) and a chirp alarm that you can turn off or on. This is only on the Vado, not the SL

I haven't actually ridden it at home yet. Will post a more substantial review when I have a chance to get some big rides in this weekend and next week. But I'm very much looking forward to it. Anyone with any questions about this specific bike fire away. This is an all-new model compared to the 2021 version. Pretty much everything has changed.

95022-38_VADO-50-WHTMTN-BLKREFL_HERO
Hey, you've been offline for a month...must be having fun!
If you have some time, could you update your thoughts on this purchase?

Back