Brose compared to Bosch, Yamaha and STEPS

yeosteve

Can anyone help me make my mind up.
I'm buying my first ebike in the next couple of months, and I love the integrated look of the Brose system, and I have heard that they are really quiet, but some people have been annoyed by the lack of gear change sensing. Bosch are better supported and I am quite interested in some of the newer automatic geaar change systems from them and others. I've been looking at BH Revo range and I'm currently tossing up between a 27.5 hardtail or a cross.

Has anyone compared Brose to the rest? Reliability is a big issue because I'm in New Zealand where we have a Very limited range of bikes to choose from, so I'm going to have to go over to Australia to do my final selection.

Thanks

I test rode a Bulls evo stream 29 HT with Brose motor and 620wh 17.5 aH battery recently.....this is after riding a Haibike Yamaha, Haibike Bosch CX and a Specialized Levo w/ Brose ( $6000!!).

Went up some very steep hills ( street). They all made it but the Yamaha struggled a bit. They are all very good.

BUT.....My favorite is the Bulls with Brose!! Silent, smooth, elegant, RANGE (no one has this big a battery), torque, sleek looking setup. Rep said 2 yr. warranty.

Thanks, hikingdad, that confirms what I've been reading. Bulls make a great looking bike but I can't get them in New Zealand so I'm going to have to wait till later this year for a BH Revo

Can anyone help me make my mind up.
I'm buying my first ebike in the next couple of months, and I love the integrated look of the Brose system, and I have heard that they are really quiet, but some people have been annoyed by the lack of gear change sensing. Bosch are better supported and I am quite interested in some of the newer automatic geaar change systems from them and others. I've been looking at BH Revo range and I'm currently tossing up between a 27.5 hardtail or a cross.

Has anyone compared Brose to the rest? Reliability is a big issue because I'm in New Zealand where we have a Very limited range of bikes to choose from, so I'm going to have to go over to Australia to do my final selection.

Thanks
If you a willing to wait till end of 2016, there should be some eMTBs available using Shimano eMTB drive, which supports their Di2 auto gear change system.

Given the price of ebikes, it pays to buy from local shop for both warranty support and ability to test ride before buying.
I've already had to take my wife Avanti Discovery E back to shop for warranty issue, faulty brake pads, easy fix, but it would've cost us if bike had been mail order.
Buying local is even more important in NZ as support for orphan systems is non existent. The changes in airfreighting of batteries makes it very difficult to import replacement batteries on their own.

Shimano is well known (and despised) for continually creating new drive trains that are NOT compatible with anything else they've made previously.
Often changing completely from year to year. With the intention of NOT letting your upgrade ANY parts of your "old" setup with the new.
I wouldn't give those money grubbing mongers a minute of my time, much less buy a $1,000+ Ebike assist from them.
I'd bet large it will be obsolete in the very near future. ;)

I have just returned from Germany and have now ridden all major ebike motors. I am the BULLS supplier to NZ and Australia and the range I rode at the 2017 trade show included bikes with the new Bosch CX (Higher Powered) Motor, the Brosë, the new Shimano Steps, various hub drives (some even 2 wheel drive...), etc. My favorite is still the Brosë, for it's power and very quiet running. The new Bosch CX look very cool and run very well also. The shimano steps would probably come in 3rd. Here are some sneak peeks for my fellow ebike lovers. Pictured are the Brose, The Bosch CX and the Shimano Steps. Also, Brosë are about to open service centres in Australia and New Zealand, good news for ebike lovers down here!

Brose.jpg BoschCX.jpg ShimanoSteps.jpg

I have just returned from Germany and have now ridden all major ebike motors. I am the BULLS supplier to NZ and Australia and the range I rode at the 2017 trade show included bikes with the new Bosch CX (Higher Powered) Motor, the Brosë, the new Shimano Steps, various hub drives (some even 2 wheel drive...), etc. My favorite is still the Brosë, for it's power and very quiet running. The new Bosch CX look very cool and run very well also. The shimano steps would probably come in 3rd. Here are some sneak peeks for my fellow ebike lovers. Pictured are the Brose, The Bosch CX and the Shimano Steps. Also, Brosë are about to open service centres in Australia and New Zealand, good news for ebike lovers down here!

View attachment 8847 View attachment 8850 View attachment 8853
Karlos,
Can you please list or provide a link to the Australian agents who are or will be stocking Bulls e-bikes. Would also be good to see the range and specs of the e-bikes that will be coming to the Australian market and when they will be available

Are any of them 45 kph bikes?

Karlos,
Can you please list or provide a link to the Australian agents who are or will be stocking Bulls e-bikes. Would also be good to see the range and specs of the e-bikes that will be coming to the Australian market and when they will be available
At this stage the first bikes to hit those markets will be the E-Stream EVO models from Bulls.
I am still looking for suitable dealers in other states. Thanks!

Last edited:
Karlos,
Any updates on the Bulls 2017 range of ebikes coming to the Australian market and where/when these will be available

Hi E-Wheels,

I have the last of the 2016 models arriving at the end of October. The 2017 models are still in production and will be available for shipping in early November. At this time Im prepared to sell into Australia direct until such time as a dealer network is established. www.bullsbikes.co.nz Send me an email!
(Website is slow - hang in there, I have someone working on an upgrade currently)

Thanks!

Hi Karlos.
I am also in Australia and am actively looking at how to get my hands on a Bulls E-Stream Evo.
Reading your above post, does this mean there will be warranty support in Australia soon?
Any changes to that model in 2017?
Thanks

Hi LC1, some of the differences for 2017 are listed below:
  • Carbon fibre frame addition to the existing lineup
  • Hi spec model added - Carbon Wheelset & RS1 Front Fork
  • Lower spec models offered to expand the price range to offer lower cost models
  • Slight modification to the Bulls logo
  • Minor colour changes
The models I have arriving in October are all the last of the 2016 range.
In the E-Stream EVO Range for 2017, the 27.5 model is dropped from the range and due to popularity, the 27.5+ and 29" only are offered.

In summary, the 2016 models I have arriving are different in colour and Bulls logo only. The 27.5 will no longer be available (only 27.5+)

As far as support goes, your local bike shop will be able to handle any regular servicing issues regarding the actual bicycle componentry.
We are the Service Agents for Brosë in New Zealand and Australia will be able to assist you with any electronic issues.

I can organise shipping to anywhere in Australia on your behalf using my freight forwarder if you like.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to know more.
Cheers!

I've read some mentions of problems with Brose's motor this summer. Seem to be well thought of when working but had a bug or two apparently.

Hi MLB, I too have read of some issues people have had with Brose. Also I have read some issues some people have had with Bosch and every other ebike motor manufacturer. The motor is based on Brose technology produced for the automotive industry millions of times already. Take a look at: http://www.brose-ebike.com/en/the-motor/
Any issues can be resolved with your supplier. Brose are rolling out new service centres worldwide. There will soon be one in Australia and New Zealand!

Hi MLB, I too have read of some issues people have had with Brose. Also I have read some issues some people have had with Bosch and every other ebike motor manufacturer. The motor is based on Brose technology produced for the automotive industry millions of times already. Take a look at: http://www.brose-ebike.com/en/the-motor/
Any issues can be resolved with your supplier. Brose are rolling out new service centres worldwide. There will soon be one in Australia and New Zealand!

I've read of more Brose problems than I have Bosch problems and there's probably about a 1,000/1 in use ratio so I think it's a little more specific than that.

I tried BH and Bulls Brose also Ariel Rider.

I can say that brose is a good motor at the moment for cruising but not for hills. I feel the motor is kind of weak don't give enough torque. But hands down it is extremely silent and smooth .

So being silent and smooth isn't a major factory for a MTB but for commuting i will prefer Brose. I still advise to use Bosch at the moment especially for a MTB.

Shimano: This is a company if i have option will never ever use their products. They kill every small business and with their endless patents they prevent small companies to start-up. I watched a video a guy was complaining how much damage shimano is doing to bicycle market.

I am sure Brose will solve this issue as i talk with their engineer at Eurobike they told that in 2017 there will be a new software update which will increase the speed and torque of motor. Normally i wouldn't believe it but a company like brose who produced electric motors in millions of units, they have this capability. I think now brose is finding its path to understand what e-bike clients are looking for in a motor which is different from what car drivers are looking for in their window opening motor ....

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Hi Karlos-I am interested in purchasing a BULLS with the Brose motor, however I am hesitant without a local dealer her in the US (Chicago IL). Any idea if a Bulls dealer will be in this neck of the woods anytime soon?

Back