Broke Spokes

I just had 3 break as well. I'm going to try some sapim strongs, which are 2.3mm (11ga) butted at the elbow, and 2mm (12ga) for the rest. These are $1.95 in black with alloy nipples from wheelbuilder.com

After reading up on it, the consensus seems to be that butted is better than straight as the thinner part can properly stretch, and that the china-brand spokes that come with any of the hub motors are less than half as strong as quality ones.

Ryan,

What length did you get these spokes or did you cut them yourself? Trying to get them pre-cut and looking for the proper length to order.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact length. I was looking in my emails, but I deleted a bunch of older ones to clean up space in there recently. I just took one out and measured it from the elbow I believe. I think you will want to replace all the spokes here so they can be tensioned.

This place has the sapim strong spokes for only 80 cents-

http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/product10.htm

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact length. I was looking in my emails, but I deleted a bunch of older ones to clean up space in there recently. I just took one out and measured it from the elbow I believe. I think you will want to replace all the spokes here so they can be tensioned.

This place has the sapim strong spokes for only 80 cents-

http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/product10.htm
That's good, because some joker on Amazon is asking $3.96 EACH! I like to plan ahead, so I'll ask Rad for spoke lengths, and get some spares and a wrench. With a double rim, field repair should be easy. Tying the rear wheel crosses also makes sense.

Update...ordered spares from Rad, will size and order a complete set of Sapim Strong if they start breaking. In the meantime, true the wheel (my Rad City shipped today), blue locktite the nipples, and tie the spoke crosses.

It makes sense, if you think about it...just too much force...you and the motor, driving that rear wheel. Will publish the spoke lengths when they arrive.

Let me thank you all for your input...this thread is proving invaluable for wheel maintainability, and I will refer to these links again and again. BTW, the Sapim Strong spokes claim to be developed specifically for ebikes.

Last edited:
I just purchased a rad wagon & my spokes are making noise at low speed with 50 miles on the bike , as I am reading here I notice it is an ongoing issue my question - is rad doing anything about it or plan on doing an upgrade to solve the problem ? if my spokes break is it coverd by warranty ?

Back