Bring an adult passenger?

jciemny

Hi. My spouse has multiple sclerosis, and we're looking for an (affordable) mid-drive ebike with room for a passenger.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

The first thought is a good cargo e-bike (it is not cheap). The second one: a passenger capable trailer attached to a regular e-bike.
Have experience with none, sorry!

Thanks, Stefan.
I'm also looking at the Ride1Up, Cafe Cruiser but it's not mid-drive, and the passenger kit is on backorder.
I'll look at cargo types. :)

You’re in Virginia? Dutch brand Workcycles has a distributor Robert living in Danville, VA, who can help order in their bikes to the mid-Atlantic region. The Workcycles FR8 with a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive, Enviolo CVT, and the optional double seat and footpegs could carry a small adult passenger on the back, or their KR8 bakfiets cargo bike could carry an adult in the front box. They ship to the US without a 48v battery but you can order one from a reputable supplier like EM3EV or one of their US distributors like California Ebike, I ordered an EM3EV battery from them and with shipping it cost about $700 and took a month to arrive.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dewey... I'll check that out!
Hmm... A bit outta my price range. ~$2000
Probably won't find a mid-drive though.

Last edited:
OK a mid-drive long tail cargo ebike around $2,000 is from Eunorau, it has 24” wheels which lower the bike, and uses the same Dapu mid-drive motor as used by Pedego on their City Commuter mid-drive, I’ve read on this forum that motor is power-hungry so you should consider spending more to get the dual battery option https://eunorau-ebike.com/collectio...e-for-family-wagon-or-ubereats-delivery-using

To get a sense of what their after-sales support & reliability is like, you might post some questions on the Eunorau owners Facebook group

Last edited:
I rode Eunorau's G20 cargo for about 20 miles on some serious hills over a few rides, and it gobbled close to 1.5 full batteries with just me (185 lbs) on it. It's a bulky bike, but you'll want such heft to safely haul you and your wife...

I'm not aware of many other reasonably priced (~$2k) mid-drive bikes with 300+lb payload capabilities (G20 = 400). And be aware that many so-called passenger bikes have limited passenger weight capacities - often well below adult averages.

Also, Eunorau sells a passenger rail and front rack kit (all or nothing), but it's a few hundred dollars more and the railing is really designed for keeping children (or a basket/crate) on the seat. It does not include butt padding.

The G20's second battery pushes its price to $2600+, but that more than doubles capacity. And professional assembly might be more than a regular bike - I've assembled dozens of ebikes "out of the box" and G20 was by far the most time-consuming.

Honestly, I believe that a "passenger" solution for you is going to require at least 33% increase in your budget... have you considered a tandem? Both riders don't have to pedal all the time.

Good ideas, LimboJim. We just sold our nice barely used Cannondale tandem this fall. Didn't know of an electric tandem where the stoker didn't have to pedal. Does such a thing exist?

So far I'm thinking on forgoing the mid-drive and deciding between a Ride1Up Cafe Cruiser, Blix Packa, and RadWagon 4.
I'm used to the torque pedal feeling :-(

Total riding weight is the critical factor. It is set for engineering requirements on frame and spoke strength. I suggest you ride an eBike and then decide if doubling the rider weight is a good idea. Many folks confuse an electric assist bicycle and scooters. EBikes really don't have the power for 2 adults, and certainly not in the sub $2,000 range. You usually get mechanical brakes and smaller disc brake rotors. Neither are good for stopping a lot of weight. There are low speed adult transport trikes, but not close to your budget. https://www.vanraam.com/en-gb/our-bikes/transport-bikes

I have some experience here. You will require a mid-drive and a trailer. Why? A hub-drive motor is single speed. The power does not go through shiftable gears. It will burn up. But, with a mid you will be able to launch and climb in the lower gears. That is much smother and easier on the motor. Next, people with balance issues and or muscular control issues on the back of a cargo bike will either fall off and or make the lead rider crash. I have seen both. A trailer does not as strongly impact the balance of the bike it is attached to, and the person in it cannot easily fall off. Let us know how it works out for you and what you experience yourself.

Check those passenger weight limits, which are often buried deep in the specs, if listed at all...

On the new Cafe Cruiser, Ride1Up says 130 lbs

1640626603885.png

Check those passenger weight limits, which are often buried deep in the specs, if listed at all...

On the new Cafe Cruiser, Ride1Up says 130 lbs

View attachment 110300
It needs to be a trailer in this case. And it cannot be a hub drive. Mount the trailer as far ahead of the rear axle as posable. This will add stability and load distribution. Get a 203 rotor in the front and a 180 in the back. It must be a hardtail.

If you are tempted to think of compromise - getting a bike that doesn't meet your needs well, concider inviting (generously giving the opportunity to) your community and family to participate in your support in this area.

I noticed that the family who had an Xmas tree fire on Christmas day and lost husband, two sons, and house had a go fund me put up for them. $20k goal, $340k result within a day or so.

People want to help others. All the more so in times like this where we feel closer to helpless in many areas of life.

PedalUma's advice is probably golden by the way. He builds all kinds of ebikes for different results. If I knew someone facing challenges like yours and they wanted workable answers I would tell them to solicit his help.

Passenger is within the 130lb limit. Not a balance issue, just can't pedal much.
I'll look into a trailer. (I have an older Burley type) but see what else is out there.
That and a tandem.

Thanks all!

I made a bike specifically for my friend Alan. This orange one. His wife used to be an avid rider. He and their friends still are. He wanted her to join in. On a low speed test ride in a safe, flat parking lot. She fell off once and they nearly crashed twice within two minutes. She can walk just fine but because of her impaired coordination their timing was slightly off and they were overcompensating for each other. I have also experienced being the lead rider with someone with slight coordination issues on the back of a cargo bike. I have good balance and was constantly fighting her to keep us upright. It was a very strong bike, a steel Mundo, but with her on it it felt like a wet noodle.

Attachments

• SpicyCurry12.JPG
    SpicyCurry12.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Yuba2116.JPG
    Yuba2116.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 255
Are you under 300lbs between you (including stuff you might carry)? That's the total payload cap of the Cafe Cruiser

I took a look at my 'ol Equinox trailer, and found the hitch pieces! I'm gonna pursue attaching this together with my mid-drive Ariel Rider ebike, and see how that works. Thanks a LOT ALL, for guiding me in the safest and hopefully best direction!
Ride On!

Bolton's Hercules IS a Eunorau G20 - I unboxed one in and it had a Eunorau badge on it. It shipped from Eunorau's Las Vegas warehouse to Bolton, then Bolton sold and shipped it to us - they never opened the box... it was wrapped at least 20 times in cellophane and took a half an hour just to open!

And I'd forgotten that Ariel Rider ever sold a mid drive - it used the same motor as on the G20

Back