Brakes/Pads - RadWagon

pearlbeer

I'm over 1,100 (lovely) miles on the RadWagon, so it's time for a new set of brake pads. Thinking I may just upgrade the calipers while I'm at it - any good suggestions? I do want to stick with mechanical brakes. Actually, while I'm at it, my shifter is sticking, so may be time to upgrade the derailleur as well...again suggestions welcome.

It’s probably the shifter cable inside the sheathing causing the issue. Or the shifter. The derailleur has a tough spring in it that works fine unless you have bent something.

I'm over 1,100 (lovely) miles on the RadWagon, so it's time for a new set of brake pads. Thinking I may just upgrade the calipers while I'm at it - any good suggestions? I do want to stick with mechanical brakes. Actually, while I'm at it, my shifter is sticking, so may be time to upgrade the derailleur as well...again suggestions welcome.
The hybrid Juintech Hydraulic / mechanical calipers from Bolton are actually pretty good. They use a commonly available Shimano pad.
Took about 15 mins to install.

I had some on my Rover, worked very well.

I bought the Juintechs in Bolton Dec holiday sale for $99, they were better than expected once they “bedded in”.

Definitely better on the Rover than the stock mechanical Tektros which I felt were not adequate.

They were not great initially but after about 50-100 miles of bedding in they were much better. The guy in the video hadn’t done that. That explains why they felt how they did.

Anyone who has replaced disc pads on a vehicle knows this. Done that job at least 40 times on multiple vehicles. They always feel unresponsive at first.

The mechanical Tektros only move the outer pad when you brake, so uneven brake wear on the pads. The disc actually distorts slightly when brakes are applied. That’s why they needed frequent adjustment

On the Juintech both pads move and squeeze the disc with equal pressure.

Back