Bosch SX motor reliability

Captain Slow

I know this motor is relatively new so there won't be a lot of data, but how reliable have these motors been? Are they noticeably different than past Bosch motors?

I find the smaller size, and lower weight quite appealing, but not if it comes at the cost of reliability.

Hmmm, quite a few views and no replies. Could Bosch sx owners at least chime in with their experience ie how long they owned the bike, mileage, user experience, etc …..

I noticed that Cannondale's new Synapse Neo comes with the Bosch SX motor. So far it's not available in Canada.
That's the first e-road bike I've come across with the SX motor.
Most of the installs seem to be for mountain bikes.

I could see a Canyon Grizl:ON CF 9 (gravel e-bike) with the Bosch SX motor in Warsaw. That e-bike looked gorgeous!
The US/NZ version comes with the Performance Line Sprint motor (SX Class 3). Of course that version cannot be bought in Europe.

I noticed that Cannondale's new Synapse Neo comes with the Bosch SX motor. So far it's not available in Canada.
That's the first e-road bike I've come across with the SX motor.
Most of the installs seem to be for mountain bikes.
Hah, I was just looking at the Synapse Neo Allroad online last night! Sharp looking bikes. It looks like a few of the road versions have made it to US dealers, but no Allroads yet.

"powerful boost up to 28mph, then seamlessly disengages for effortless pedaling at greater speeds."

I don't know about you, but if I could 'effortlessly' pedal faster than 28mph I probably wouldn't need an ebike!

For its size the SX motor puts out a lot of power, compared to the TQ motor, but unfortunately to get that power a very high cadence is needed.
From what I've heard, Bosch realizes this is an issue and is looking into ways to keep the high peak power while reducing the needed cadence to reach that power.

I bought my first eBike in early May 24.
I purchased a Cube Hybrid AMS 144 SLX.
I chose this model for it's low weight at 17.3Kg
This has the Bosch SX motor.
I am a keen mountain biker, but at 74 I was finding the climbs tiring.
I love riding this bike and the assist has been a game changer.
I've ridden over 1200km with no issues so far - touch wood!
I would like to check the motor seals, but haven't been able to find any information or video online detailing the procedure.
Likewise I haven't been able to find SX seal kits and would like to know if the Gen 4 seal kit is compatible?
TIA

This place seems really good, if anyone has a seal kit they likely do.

Thanks...I had already contacted them and got the following reply

To be truthfully honest, we have never seen a Bosch SX motor as of yet, so were not sure if Gen 4 kit would fit.
We're happy for you to purchase and return for a full refund if it doesn't fit so we can know!

If you but the kit, please report back here.
I'm planning to first check the seals and refit with new tacky grease. The ebike is relatively new and I'm hoping the seals don't need to be replaced. I will take photos and measurements of the seals and pass to eBike Motor Repairs hoping they will check if the Gen 4 seals are compatible.
I'll report back here when I know more.

Back