Bosch SmartphoneHub

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18083

bosch_smartphonehub_a.jpg

bosch_smartphonehub_c.jpg

Bosch Website : SmartphoneHub

This is new to me. Has anyone more information?

… David

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the new COBI. It will be based on the COBI interface but more seamlessly integrated into the Bosch system. It will work with 2020+ MY drives but it won’t be backwards compatible unfortunately.

The Bosch hub is intended to be the open source version of the Kiox/Nyon. There is an ecosystem which developers can build on, where the Kiox/Nyon is a closed system.

I hope this helps.

This is the new COBI. It will be based on the COBI interface but more seamlessly integrated into the Bosch system. It will work with 2020+ MY drives but it won’t be backwards compatible unfortunately.

The Bosch hub is intended to be the open source version of the Kiox/Nyon. There is an ecosystem which developers can build on, where the Kiox/Nyon is a closed system.

I hope this helps.
Extremely disappointing that it won't be backwards compatible! If there is a completely new electrical specification to the new motor's CAN bus i can understand, if not but there are new "packet" standards they are using then why not design the unit so it can adapt to the old, and switch off some features if the old motor does not supply enough information?
And i presume/doubt there is a new electrical spec as any old chargers (2A, 4A, etc.) would not work on new motor/batteries.
And it's still not hard to develop an API/Framework (software speak) for developers that can adapt to missing features of an old motor whilst at the same time allowing features of a new system.
As far as i know a CAN bus is a CAN bus and how hard would it be to have a backward compatible connector/cable?
Here in Australia, Nyon has never been available and the same with Cobi (Australian Bluetooth compliance i presume). Have to settle still with my phone holder :(
Does it sound like i'm jealous? :)

Last edited:
Extremely disappointing that it won't be backwards compatible! If there is a completely new electrical specification to the new motor's CAN bus i can understand, if not but there are new "packet" standards they are using then why not design the unit so it can adapt to the old, and switch off some features if the old motor does not supply enough information?
And i presume/doubt there is a new electrical spec as any old chargers (2A, 4A, etc.) would not work on new motor/batteries.
And it's still not hard to develop an API/Framework (software speak) for developers that can adapt to missing features of an old motor whilst at the same time allowing features of a new system.
As far as i know a CAN bus is a CAN bus and how hard would it be to have a backward compatible connector/cable?
Here in Australia, Nyon has never been available and the same with Cobi (Australian Bluetooth compliance i presume). Have to settle still with my phone holder :(
Does it sound like i'm jealous? :)

You can still buy the COBI.BIKE if you’re interested in the system.
Maybe for that reason Bosch didn’t bother to offer the SmartphoneHub as a retrofit, since we still have the original product for the retrofit market.

View attachment 34911
View attachment 34912

Bosch Website : SmartphoneHub

This is new to me. Has anyone more information?

… David
The SmartphoneHub is new to everyone but...

we can draw inferences from the most similar product available for years already which is the COBI.BIKE that you can retrofit on any bike and is especially great on Bosch powered e-bikes. Bosch bough COBI a few years ago and now released the SmartphoneHub which is even more integrated.

The COBI allows riders to attach any smartphone to their bikes and use it as the display by running the free COBI app. If you use a separate smartphone holder on your handlebar this system will replace it, thus making your handlebar less cluttered. It will also charge the phone directly from the main bike battery with no cables for the iPhone and just a small supplied cable for Android phones, which is great.

On top of the usual indications of the Intuvia Bosch displays (speed, power assistance level, etc) the COBI adds several other great functions, such as:

*digital voice description of the power assistance selected (no need to look at the display to know the assistance level selected)
*digital bell ringer (loud!) via a built-in speaker (index walk button - very useful)
*heart rate displayed (if you connect a Bluetooth HRM to your smartphone or use iWatch)
*pedal cadence displayed (readout directly from the Bosch motor)
*the power your legs develop displayed (readout directly from the Bosch motor)
*records all the parameters above and sends them to Strava at the end of the ride (and/or Komoot, Apple Health)
*integrated GPS maps (free download your area)
*plays music from your phone (loudspeaker)
*make calls from your phone (loudspeaker)
*switches lights on/off
*integrated weather forecast
*you can lock the bike
*charges your smartphone

It uses the Bosch thumb controller seamlessly and adds extra functionality such as bell rigging by pressing the ‘walk’ button.

However, the COBI.BIKE isn’t problem free, so I’m looking forward to the SmartphoneHub hoping it will fix the issues of the original product.

I hope this helped to give you an idea of how great the SmartphoneHub potentially can be.

You can still buy the COBI.BIKE if you’re interested in the system.
Maybe for that reason Bosch didn’t bother to offer the SmartphoneHub as a retrofit, since we still have the original product for the retrofit market.
As i mentioned, Nyon & Cobi have NEVER been available in Australia.

The SmartphoneHub is new to everyone but...

we can draw inferences from the most similar product available for years already which is the COBI.BIKE that you can retrofit on any bike and is especially great on Bosch powered e-bikes. Bosch bough COBI a few years ago and now released the SmartphoneHub which is even more integrated.

The COBI allows riders to attach any smartphone to their bikes and use it as the display by running the free COBI app. If you use a separate smartphone holder on your handlebar this system will replace it, thus making your handlebar less cluttered. It will also charge the phone directly from the main bike battery with no cables for the iPhone and just a small supplied cable for Android phones, which is great.

On top of the usual indications of the Intuvia Bosch displays (speed, power assistance level, etc) the COBI adds several other great functions, such as:

*digital voice description of the power assistance selected (no need to look at the display to know the assistance level selected)
*digital bell ringer (loud!) via a built-in speaker (index walk button - very useful)
*heart rate displayed (if you connect a Bluetooth HRM to your smartphone or use iWatch)
*pedal cadence displayed (readout directly from the Bosch motor)
*the power your legs develop displayed (readout directly from the Bosch motor)
*records all the parameters above and sends them to Strava at the end of the ride (and/or Komoot, Apple Health)
*integrated GPS maps (free download your area)
*plays music from your phone (loudspeaker)
*make calls from your phone (loudspeaker)
*switches lights on/off
*integrated weather forecast
*you can lock the bike
*charges your smartphone

It uses the Bosch thumb controller seamlessly and adds extra functionality such as bell rigging by pressing the ‘walk’ button.

However, the COBI.BIKE isn’t problem free, so I’m looking forward to the SmartphoneHub hoping it will fix the issues of the original product.

I hope this helped to give you an idea of how great the SmartphoneHub potentially can be.
I wonder if they went completely forward & useful and put wireless charging into it?

I wonder if they went completely forward & useful and put wireless charging into it?

Wireless is unlikely for three reasons: 1. wireless charging adds weight and complexity. 2. Wireless charging consumes a lot of energy thus draining your bike’s battery 3. The current smartphone charging is so well integrated and discreet that everyone will like it.

Wireless is unlikely for three reasons: 1. wireless charging adds weight and complexity. 2. Wireless charging consumes a lot of energy thus draining your bike’s battery 3. The current smartphone charging is so well integrated and discreet that everyone will like it.
1) Extra weight for wireless would be less that 50 grams, might be at most extra 3mm thicker. Complexity - maybe an extra semiconductor + coil(s) and an ability to turn it off (charge via cable) or on (wireless charging).
2) Wireless charging would be at a -guess- an extra 20-30% efficiency loss, 5V @ 1A = 5W so add an extra 30% = 1.5W, therefore an extra 1.5W coming from your battery on top of the 5W already to power the phone.
3) Integration without cables is surely better integration with less to go wrong?

I'm guessing the new Riese & Mullers don't provide the SmartPhoneHub option along with E14 Rohloff because the new Cobi doesn't have the ability to display the current gear in use?

I believe it is more of the interference with the communications required to operate the hub. There isn’t a protocol to handle prioritization. Keep in mind that COBI was originally built by reverse engineering the communication protocols in the Bosch system, but Bosch hasn’t made any adaptations to open the system to the display. Perhaps this will change in the future.

The big advantage of the SmartphoneHub over the Cobi, is that it has a small integrated display, which is great for short-range trips..

Anyway, I found out this about retro-compatibility

"There will also be back compatibility with Bosch Active Line motor systems from as early as the 2018 model year. "

I recently did a walkthrough on the Smartphone Hub at the new Bosch Headquarters in California. I hope you guys enjoy it. One thing to note which wasn’t super clear on the video, this is only compatible with Gen 3 and 4 motors.

Edit: this is available on Gen 2 motors as an upgrade as well. It’s not possible to add it to E-Shift bikes though.

Last edited:
I recently did a walkthrough on the Smartphone Hub at the new Bosch Headquarters in California. I hope you guys enjoy it. One thing to note which wasn’t super clear on the video, this is only compatible with Gen 3 and 4 motors.

Very helpful video. I'm assuming the Gen 3 and 4 motors the upcoming/new motors? I put a deposit on the Trek Allant 9.9 S and I'm excited to try out the Hub so I'll probably watching this video several times.

Very helpful video. I'm assuming the Gen 3 and 4 motors the upcoming/new motors? I put a deposit on the Trek Allant 9.9 S and I'm excited to try out the Hub so I'll probably watching this video several times.
Sorry about the delay. This is compatible with all Bosch US motors except bikes with E-Shift. In Europe it’s not possible to fit in Speed pedelecs due to regulations. I made a slight edit to my post to correct myself based on new positive information.

Gen 2 - current CX, Speed and Performance Line
Gen 3 - Active Line, Active Line Plus and new Performance Line (65Nm smaller profile, no reduction gear)
Gen 4 - new CX, new Speed and the new additions of the Cargoline and Cargoline Speed

That Trek looks pretty sweet. I haven’t seen much out there like it.

Only the 4 is the upcoming, or?
Yes, it’s the
new CX, new Speed and the new additions of the Cargoline and Cargoline Speed. The Gen 3 Performance Line is also added this year to complete the updates for all motor systems.

Hi Chris.
1- Will this be available in Canada. ?
2- I have a Moutache Samedi Open Xroad 5, how can I know wich gen I got ? It is stamped 2017 on the frame and using performance line motor.

Thanks alot.

Hi Chris.
1- Will this be available in Canada. ?
2- I have a Moutache Samedi Open Xroad 5, how can I know wich gen I got ? It is stamped 2017 on the frame and using performance line motor.

Thanks alot.
This should be available in Canada. It might take a little while for it to be available on the aftermarket, but it will fit your Moustache since it’s a Generation 2 motor.

Back