Bosch Smartphone Hub & iPhone 11 Locking

mallardadvisor

Because the hub clamps down on the iphone at the side button, it will indadvertently press the side button (locking the phone) during rides with jarring bumps. Does anyone know a method to stop this as it then locks me out from seeing the Cobi App.

I have an iPhone 11 also. I haven't had that issue. The case goes over the buttons on the top (volume buttons) and bottom (power button). However, I have had issue with my phone becoming dislodged going over big bumps. Since I have my iPhone 11 plugged in, it hasn't actually hit the ground when this happens . . . yet.

I think the answer for both of us is the case we are using. I would love to hear from anyone using the Smartphone Hub and iPhone 11 with no issues what case you are using.

Hi all,

I have attached a photo of my Smartphone Hub with an iPhone XR. I believe* that the power button is in the same place to that on the iPhone 11. This is how I run my phone in the universal mount that's included in the Smartphone Hub. I would say the phone is ever so slightly slid further to the right of the universal mount to avoid contact with the power button.

Attachments

• sph1.jpg
    sph1.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 642
Thanks Stephen. Can you tell me what case you are using? My iPhone 11 did become dislodged and hit the pavement after running over a pothole this weekend. This is a big problem.

Also, does anyone know if you can connect to two different bikes with the Smartphone Hub?

I am using an Otterbox Symmetry Series for the XR. Do you mind me asking which case you are using? Would you attach a photo of your phone plus case combo within the jaws of the Smartphone Hub.

Currently, through the Cobi.bike app, only one bike at a time can be connected. A simple reset of the app allows the connection of a different bike.

I am using an Otterbox Symmetry Series for the XR. Do you mind me asking which case you are using? Would you attach a photo of your phone plus case combo within the jaws of the Smartphone Hub.

Currently, through the Cobi.bike app, only one bike at a time can be connected. A simple reset of the app allows the connection of a different bike.
I have two bosch bikes one with intuvia and one purion. I ahve been waiting ofr the smarthub to put on the purion bike. but it would be nice to use my phone for both but it looks like I cant do it on a regular basis.

I'm not sure the brand of the case. It's not that big though. The iPhone 11 is 1mm (8.3mm) wider than the iPhone SE (7.3mm).

IMG_2699.jpeg
IMG_0803.jpeg

I have two bosch bikes one with intuvia and one purion. I ahve been waiting ofr the smarthub to put on the purion bike. but it would be nice to use my phone for both but it looks like I cant do it on a regular basis.

It is more than doable to have two Smartphone Hub-equipped bikes in your stable. The Cobi.bike app supports one bike at a time through the app. It is no more than a one to two minute process to reset the hub and connect the phone to your second bike.

It is more than doable to have two Smartphone Hub-equipped bikes in your stable. The Cobi.bike app supports one bike at a time through the app. It is no more than a one to two minute process to reset the hub and connect the phone to your second bike.
but to do that every day? I go from my commuter bike to my tandem every day. it would get old fast. so maybe the tandem will have a nyon on it.

@stephen - I ordered the Otterbox Symmetry for my iPhone 11. I haven't used it yet, but it appears to be the exact same size as my previous case. Any other ideas on how to secure the iPhone 11 to the Smarthub? Will Bosch make a case like they did for iPhone X?

Hi all,

I have attached a photo of my Smartphone Hub with an iPhone XR. I believe* that the power button is in the same place to that on the iPhone 11. This is how I run my phone in the universal mount that's included in the Smartphone Hub. I would say the phone is ever so slightly slid further to the right of the universal mount to avoid contact with the power button.

I also shift my iPhone X to the right of center on the Smartphone hub

I am still a bit alarmed that Bosch doesn't have an answer for how to securely mount an iPhone 11 (not even the Max version) to the Smartphone Hub. It's been a few weeks now on this forum and nobody appears to have a working solution. I was lucky I was at a place when my phone dis-lodged that it was not run over by a car behind me (I was in a turn lane) and did not sustain any damage from the fall.

I would not recommend any bike with Bosch Smartphone Hub to anyone with iPhone 11 until this is rectified. This is too bad because otherwise I am a big fan of the motor and the Cobi app.

Last edited:
@Clydesdale

At this time and the ever-growing phone market, we are not slated to produce a Bosch-specific case for the iPhone 11. That could definitely change, but right now we are focused more on the universal mount.

Would you like to elaborate on what happened when the phone did come out of your universal mount?

I have personally been riding my Smartphone Hub and universal mount (pictured earlier in the thread) for some months now and even through some gravel routes and have not had any issues. That being said, looking at your pictures of the iPhone 11 with your existing case does appear to be secure in that mount. That would pass my personal inspection.

Just to inquire, do you have anything on the back side of your case, i.e. magnet, wallet accessory?

@stephen

I simple hit a pot hole and and the phone ejected from the mount. Since then I got the Otterbox Symmetry. It works better I think because of the grooves in the side, but my phone ejected again going over railroad tracks this weekend. This time the USB cord caught it so it didn't hit the ground. I don't think anything is wrong with the mount. It appears very tight. I am actually surprised I'm the only one that is having this issue.

I don't think a silicone strip would help. It's not sliding out. I will try it if or perhaps velcro if you agree that's my best bet.

the silicone is sticky as all hell. I would try lifting and dropping the bike on the front wheel see if you can see the mount releasing

Hi, I am Smitty. My bicycle has no front shocks and my iPhone 11 Pro Max came dislodged more than a couple of times. Luckily the charging cable caught it. My solution is not perfect aesthetically, but my phone has held in the mount since I began using this and I have jarred it hard. I bought a tough grove case similar to the one pictured. Not sure if it is the same b/c I bought it from Verizon and paid double and threw away the box. I trimmed both sides with a utility knife where the universal clamp attaches. Be careful, the little buttons will pop out while trimming when you apply pressure. Consider taping them from inside temporarily. Once cut I sanded the sharp edges. Be careful inserting and removing the phone / case from the universal mount. You can accidentally pull the mount sliding tracks out to far and have to take a very small screwdriver, and take the universal mouth apart to correct your sliding track issue.. I have found that removing the universal mount from the bicycle, hook it over the volume button side of the phone and using the back plate to slip it over the other side of the phone works best. This works well for me. I hope this helps if the other solutions have not. I hope Bosch provides a professional solution.
193ADF95-88EE-4AA7-B78C-7DBC070745AE.jpeg
75EE551E-E1E3-473D-92A4-D3CBF622C44A.jpeg
E95C8333-80CB-40F5-A0EF-9E12FCBCBA7E.png
2CA438BF-DCDC-4183-880B-CD9FE832BCCB.jpeg

Hi Everyone,

I have a Trek Allant+ 8S and the Iphone 11 Pro Max. The phone fits in the smartphone hub, but the second i hit a pot hole or uneven pavement the phone did fly out thankfully it was saved by the charging cable.

I no longer use the smartphone hub, I flipped it upside down so the screen is below the handle bar and use a quad lock system to keep my phone from dropping or flying out. This is probably not the best solution but since i ride the bike for commute or weekend rides I won't really need to see the small LCD provided, Since i always use the Cobi App.

I have tried multiple phone cases as well, but since the iphone 11 Pro Max is a huge phone it doesn't fit the bosch smartphone universal hub all that great.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I have a Trek Allant+ 8S and the Iphone 11 Pro Max. The phone fits in the smartphone hub, but the second i hit a pot hole or uneven pavement the phone did fly out thankfully it was saved by the charging cable.

I no longer use the smartphone hub, I flipped it upside down so the screen is below the handle bar and use a quad lock system to keep my phone from dropping or flying out. This is probably not the best solution but since i ride the bike for commute or weekend rides I won't really need to see the small LCD provided, Since i always use the Cobi App.

I have tried multiple phone cases as well, but since the iphone 11 Pro Max is a huge phone it doesn't fit the bosch smartphone universal hub all that great.

Can you send a picture of how you have this setup? This is a constant issue I have as well and have not found a solution.

Back