Bosch Purion Ebike Display Settings

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, to compliment the Bosch motor comparison from the other day, I have been filming short guides for each different electric bike computer that I interact with and today I filmed the Bosch Purion while visiting the Accell Group in Southern California.

In the video below, I show how to change units from miles to kilometers, how to clear trip distance, how to activate lights, and how to enable walk mode. This display is a lot simpler than the Bosch Intuvia (which is one of my personal favorites, and some shops can swap it in for you if you pay for an upgrade). The Purion is not removable, not very easy to swivel (to reduce glare), and does not have an active Micro USB port for charging accessories... the port is there, but it's only designed to handle software updates unfortunately... Bosch!! I have found that the + and - buttons can be inconsistent to press because they angle in to the right (towards the LCD screen) vs. going straight in and out like the button pad that comes with the Bosch Intuvia and Bosch Nyon.

Navigation timestamps:
  • How to change units (miles to kilometers) at 1:57
  • How to activate lights at 2:04
  • How to activate walk mode at 2:26
  • How to reset trip distance at 3:00
  • How to change menu readouts at 4:01

Quick tips:
  • The buttons on the control pad include Power (top edge), +, -, and Walk (bottom edge).
  • To change units from miles to kilometers, hold the - key and tap the Power button.
  • To reset trip distance, hold the - key and hold the + key for a couple of seconds.
  • To activate lights (if they are wired in), hold the + button for a few seconds.
  • To change menus, hold the - button (trip distance, odometer, range, assist level).
  • To activate walk mode, make sure you are in one of the four levels of assist, then press the walk button once and hold the + button to make the motor go. Note that some ebikes do not have walk mode enabled (all Trek models have it disabled as of 2018).
The official Bosch website has more information on the Purion display panel at: https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us-en/products/purion/ and I have attached some screenshots below, in case the site changes or goes down eventually.

bosch-purion-ebike-display-overview.jpgbosch-purion-ebike-display-riding-modes.jpg

I have a new bike with Purion display and just learned of this setting to change backlight illumination. Turn the display off, then hold down the + and - buttons and press down the power button for a few seconds. When the display turns on there will be a scrolling display of various firmware versions (or whatever). During this time you can use the + and - buttons to change the backlight brightness. I have mine turned to the lowest possible setting - to lengthen the interval between battery changes, perhaps. In any event, the display remains perfectly readable.

I have a new bike with Purion display and just learned of this setting to change backlight illumination. Turn the display off, then hold down the + and - buttons and press down the power button for a few seconds. When the display turns on there will be a scrolling display of various firmware versions (or whatever). During this time you can use the + and - buttons to change the backlight brightness. I have mine turned to the lowest possible setting - to lengthen the interval between battery changes, perhaps. In any event, the display remains perfectly readable.

That is a GREAT tip for me !
Thank you so much !
As I commute from work back home in pitch black, the Purion display shines like a star and blinds me.
I toned down the backlight illumination as you described. It helps a lot but still looking for a way how to turn it off completely.

That is a GREAT tip for me !
Thank you so much !
As I commute from work back home in pitch black, the Purion display shines like a star and blinds me.
I toned down the backlight illumination as you described. It helps a lot but still looking for a way how to turn it off completely.

Instead of turning it off, (which would mean no feedback?) why not try making a red or green filter- even a sweet wrapper as a test.
Astronomers use filtered torches as they prevent dazzle, and preserve night vision.
I use samples of theatre light filters for colour effects, maybe eBay?

Back