Bosch Purion Display Just Stopped Working During Ride - Any Ideas?

William1949

I bought my wife a brand new Electra Townie Go 8D it has the Bosch Purion Display. The Bosch Powerpack 400 was fully charged. She was riding with me and going thru the different modes that are available through the usage of the Bosch Purion Display. Life was good.

I looked back and she was not keeping up with me. I went back and she said that the Purion Display just went blank and she could not utilize the different modes and struggled to ride the bike back home.

It appears that the display uses 2 Maxell CR2016 batteries laid on top of each other with the + sign up. I went and purchased 2 Rayovac CR2016 replacement batteries in hope of fixing this problem.

I used gloves when putting the batteries into the case. I watched a German Youtube that showed how to do this. I saw that the first battery appeared to do a click when being installed and then simply putting the other one on top with the + facing up and then closing the lid with a quarter.

Everything looked fine and I was hopeful.

Nothing worked. The display did not come to life. Has anyone had this issue with the Bosch Purion display? It is a brand new bike. She cannot ride it because the Display is not communicating to the Powerpack.

I have ordered more Maxell CR2016 on Amazon. They are impossible to find in any store even though they say that they have them.

I believe that the new batteries and the correct installation is not going to get the display working and my wife will be really upset.

Does anyone have any experience and or knowledge that will help me?

Here is the Youtube video that I mentioned. It is in German. I did everything he did using gloves. He did not show that it worked.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Several of us Bosch users are seeing issues with the 400wh batteries. I had only see reports on Intuvia users. Try turning on your display. If it doesn’t fully initialize the whole system, see if the LEDs are on in the battery pack. If they aren’t lit, push the battery test button on that pack. It’s worked every time to power up the entire system for me. I’ve seen no reduced range in the battery pack, it just seems to be a boot up issue.

Thank you so much Rich! I can get the lights lit up on my Powerpack 400. I push in on the button on the side of it and it shows all lights are lit up. I am unsure if that side button is the test button.

Can you help me with that? It is probably somewhere on the Powerpack 400?

I cannot get into Walk mode. Purion has a walk mode. It was working on her Purion. My Intuvia works fine on my Electra Townie Commute Go.

So I do not have anything going on on her display. I do see if I push on the power button on the side of the unit some indication that it is talking to the Powerpack 400. It is still not lighting up the display or allowing us to use the + and - button to scroll thru the different modes.

I like the Intuvia better. I hope this is clear. I really appreciate the help. I may need clarification on the battery test button.

Thank you so much Rich! I can get the lights lit up on my Powerpack 400. I push in on the button on the side of it and it shows all lights are lit up. I am unsure if that side button is the test button.

I cannot get into Walk mode. Purion has a walk mode. It was working on her Purion. My Intuvia works fine on my Electra Townie Commute Go.

So I do not have anything going on on her display. I do see if I push on the power button on the side of the unit some indication that it is talking to the Powerpack 400. It is still not lighting up the display or allowing us to use the + and - button to scroll thru the different modes.

I like the Intuvia better. I hope this is clear. I really appreciate the help. I may need clarification on the battery test button.
That is the test button, right by the battery pack LEDs. With the Intuvia trouble, the info line on the bottom comes on, the eco mode light comes on, but will not stay on any other mode level. The speedometer will not come on, and the battery lights won’t come on. All this is random. Often everything starts up. So you tried turning on the Purion and then pushing the test button. It didn’t power up?

Yes sir. I am doing a video to explain better. I sure hope it is the battery in the display. It is a new bike. Just stopped while riding. Sending the video soon. Thank you for your help.

Hello, Trek support is excellent. ( Trek owns Electra ) I'd call your LBS where you purchased the bike, describe the problem, what you've
done and ask them to contact Electra for a replacement controller. Should Electra and the LBS be in agreement, I'd ask about
replacing the Purion with the Intuvia ( I prefer Intuvia Controller as well. Tell the shop/Electra you want both controller to match.
There may be an up charge for any difference in cost..... With a brand new Electra you should not have to be Mr Fix-it.

Hello, Trek support is excellent. ( Trek owns Electra ) I'd call your LBS where you purchased the bike, describe the problem, what you've
done and ask them to contact Electra for a replacement controller. Should Electra and the LBS be in agreement, I'd ask about
replacing the Purion with the Intuvia ( I prefer Intuvia Controller as well. Tell the shop/Electra you want both controller to match.
There may be an up charge for any difference in cost..... With a brand new Electra you should not have to be Mr Fix-it.
If possible, I would want to replace the Purion with an Intuvia also. I am not sure what is involved in terms of cost and rewiring though. Another thing you could do is replace the Purion with a Nyon … or perhaps move your Intuvia to your wife's bike and put a Nyon on yours. Note that the Nyon uses the same mount as the Intuvia, but has a different button controller.

Man, I feel your pain, it’s so frustrating when this stuff pops up. This is a little different than the one I and others have seen with the Intuvia... the display comes on, but the assist level won’t come on. Yours is just flat out dead.

Have you tried swapping your battery onto her bike and seeing what happens? And is the battery nice and snug when you click it in? Sorry I don’t have more to say on this, but clearly Trek will fix it once you get their attention. I’m in the same boat there, but my bike is two years old with 6300 very happy miles on it to balance it against.

I would also be lobbying strongly for an Intuvia display, but I’m betting this is more about the battery and/or the connections there than the display. Still, the Intuvia is way better in my book.

I had had to replace my purion batteries immediately after I bought the bike. I used non Maxell batteries. It worked for a couple of weeks, then I started getting the replace battery message. So I replaced with maxell batteries. Still getting the replace battery message but I understand it’s more of a reset problem. The bike is working (cross fingers)
The owner of the shop where I got my bike (Propel) mentioned that the Purion doesn’t work well with batteries that aren’t Maxell.
I’m starting to be convinced that the Purion is a problem. Period.

William: Measure the battery voltage using a volt meter, found at any Harbor Freight, Home Big Box Style Store, etc to see exactly what voltage each little battery has in it. This is done by removing the batteries from the controller. Use the nearest volt scale of your meter; positive lead to + on the battery; negative lead to the - on the battery. This is the only way you will determine if those batteries or the next ones you buy are up to snuff.

Careful on putting pressure on that LED face as you are removing and installing the batteries! Probably best of you use your left thumb on the edge of the purion case & your other 4 fingers on the opposite side, avoiding squeezing onto the face and possibly damaging the led's.

Is there a physical connection at the purion controller and the cable? Worth checking to see if it is tight.

Other than the simple battery voltage check at the purion and a check for connection tightness, looks like this could be a warranty issue. I wish you the best and hope you get the bike up and running soon!

I had the same problem with my purion I only had the bike under a month I spoke with Bosch on Facebook and they said this

'Hi Brian, the battery cells in the display may have been low, it is simply 2x CR2016 batteries that you can get in any hardware store and many grocery stores, besides this, you can start your bike from the button on the battery if these batteries run out at a bad time, as these batteries in the display is only used to send a start signal to the battery. Your Bosch eBike Team.'

so I went and bought some more batteries a better brand this time and hey presto the notification went and the tex on display was much darker and if I understand correctly the display batteries are only to activate the main battery on/off so the main display functions are indeed powered by the main battery

When my Priority Embark arrived the Purion did not work at all. I did find on the Bosch website the information that I could turn on the computer at the battery (that is, by pressing the button on the PowerPack 400), and that worked fine as an interim solution; all functions of assist etc worked perfectly. I contacted Priority and they immediately had Amazon send me "more CR2016 batteries than you'll ever need", a pack of 15, which arrived two days later. It was easy to open the case and swap the batteries, and now everything works fine.

I just been reading the purion manual I download from bosch and it states use 2 x 1.5 volt cr2016? mine was supplied with 2 x 3v cr2016 and I subsequently changed to new 3v x cr2016 I am feeling a litte confused ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190627_185524_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20190627_185524_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20190627_190021.jpg
    IMG_20190627_190021.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,512
Well after a few days of replacing the battery's in the purion I have the "change battery in display" message showing again when I turn purion off ?I have read about using maxwell battery's but is there any truth in this? bosch technology team who I spoke to never mentioned to use maxwell battery's. ?

Back