Bosch Purion Display Controls

High Desert

Region
USA
City
Redmond, Or
I'm curious if this is possible: can the Purion display (on a Trek Verve +3) be reprogramed to allow the "walk mode" and headlight on / off feature to operate? I have not seen anything that defines how to do this, and seemingly, this feature is not available (from the dealer) in North America. Is there something documented, or a "how to" somewhere??

if the walk and light button are not working you need to take it into a dealer. the walk you need to have it set to an assist level push the walk button then the plus button if I remember right.

I Googled Bosch Purion Display instructions and downloaded the directions.

I own the same bike with the same display. Walk mode should work by pushing the bottom button, walk mode should pop up on the display, then press the top button on the left. The bike must be turned on and at least the eco power setting on. There is also a way to turn the light off an on but I can’t tell you the button sequences. Keep in mind the lights are LED and don’t draw a lot of power.

Programming the buttons? There are only 4 buttons, one is on-off, the two on the left are for display control and power levels up and down. I’m not sure how that would work or if it’s possible but maybe. I suppose a button press of three times could turn the lights off and on.

I Googled Bosch Purion Display instructions and downloaded the directions.

I own the same bike with the same display. Walk mode should work by pushing the bottom button, walk mode should pop up on the display, then press the top button on the left. The bike must be turned on and at least the eco power setting on. There is also a way to turn the light off an on but I can’t tell you the button sequences. Keep in mind the lights are LED and don’t draw a lot of power.

Programming the buttons? There are only 4 buttons, one is on-off, the two on the left are for display control and power levels up and down. I’m not sure how that would work or if it’s possible but maybe. I suppose a button press of three times could turn the lights off and on.
Thx for the response back with the “how to”.

I don’t have a Trek, but do have the same display on my Gazelle. From my understanding it is due to federal law the light will remain on at all times for a class 3 e bike. I have heard your bike shop should be able to give your controller a flash update and make everything work properly. Good luck.

Your dealer can program the light on/off feature.

Be sure to press and HOLD the “+” button to walk your bike.

Has anyone else tried riding your bike in Walk mode?

Last edited:
the light always on is a EU regulation not a us one.
Just to make the things clear: EU does not require daytime light on a bike; it only allows it. (Yes, Switzerland that is not in the EU requires daytime bike lighting). The daytime lighting found on European e-bikes is meant for your safety: "Be seen".

The daytime lighting is only required on 45 km/h (28mph) "Speed Pedelecs" that are legally mopeds in the EU and are pretty rare here.

A little late but... I ran into this issue when I picked up our new Gazelle Ultimate bikes two days ago. The light on/off feature (HOLD the "+" button) would not work, nor would the walk assist mode, nor could I get the RANGE/TRIP/ODO feature to change. The LBS said it was a software issue and would update it. They did and the light on/of feature still didn't work. After a bunch of googling, we learned that there are "options" that the LBS can set when they flash the new software. I told them about this, and said they were apparently easy to over look if you don't know they are there.

After getting into the Bosch shop software updater, the bike mechanics were able to turn these features on. Get your LBS to do this for you (I think this is only available to software for official Bosch dealers) and make sure they understand these are options they must look for in the updater and they can set them for you. Google really was a lifesaver for this issue!

A little late but... I ran into this issue when I picked up our new Gazelle Ultimate bikes two days ago. The light on/off feature (HOLD the "+" button) would not work, nor would the walk assist mode, nor could I get the RANGE/TRIP/ODO feature to change. The LBS said it was a software issue and would update it. They did and the light on/of feature still didn't work. After a bunch of googling, we learned that there are "options" that the LBS can set when they flash the new software. I told them about this, and said they were apparently easy to over look if you don't know they are there.

After getting into the Bosch shop software updater, the bike mechanics were able to turn these features on. Get your LBS to do this for you (I think this is only available to software for official Bosch dealers) and make sure they understand these are options they must look for in the updater and they can set them for you. Google really was a lifesaver for this issue!
yep my guy missed my motor update as the bike had been sitting o the floor for a year. it went from 73nm to 85 nm huge difference on steep hills. but he asked me if I wanted lights on always. I said yes .

I just got the Trek Verve+ 4S with the Purion display. The trip meter only counts in whole miles, not also tenths. Is that correct? Thank you

I just got the Trek Verve+ 4S with the Purion display. The trip meter only counts in whole miles, not also tenths. Is that correct? Thank you
True, annoyingly so. Adding insult to injury, the speedo on both our Verve+ 2s and a Verve+ 4S I've ridden all read ~10% fast, meaning the +2s are actually 18mph pedal assist bikes :(. I've installed a Sigma bike computer on mine which tells the truth and also gives me some other useful data.

Last edited:
True, annoyingly so. Adding insult to injury, the speedo on both our Verve+ 2s and a Verve+ 4S I've ridden all read 10% fast, meaning the +2s are actually 18mph pedal assist bikes :(. I've installed a Sigma bike computer on mine which tells the truth and also gives me some other useful data.
bosch motors cut out at 19.5 or 27.5mph no matter what. but they ramp down before that. bosch tends set wheel size small so it seems your going faster then you are.

bosch motors cut out at 19.5 or 27.5mph no matter what. but they ramp down before that. bosch tends set wheel size small so it seems your going faster then you are.
I totally agree on Bosch speed control, but I am more inclined to blame the frame manufacturer, e.g., Trek, for improper wheel circumference settings. Am I wrong?

I totally agree on Bosch speed control, but I am more inclined to blame the frame manufacturer, e.g., Trek, for improper wheel circumference settings. Am I wrong?
no I think its a bosch thing I have seen it so often. my bulls bike my tandem. cant remember if my trek was off or not.

I understand the ramping down feature. To my seat-of-pants it seems to be over the last 1.5mph. As to the actual error, I've been back and forth with the Trek LBS, to no avail. I ride by the calibrated radar speed signs and the Purion reads 10% faster than actual, as indicated by the radar speed sign and my carefully calibrated Sigma computer.

This is not a new issue. See:

some shops will adjust it some wont. yes its been that way a long time thats why its a bosch thing not a bike brand thing. but some shops will adjust it. there is not a huge amount of range you to work with. Or get any of the other systems and you can adjust it yourself.
here you can see the curve. the second one is steep because I adjusted it as we ride around 18.7 to 19mph on the flats. but the default and what the prion uses are like the top. the power levels are not default either.

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 7.58.31 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 7.59.08 PM.png

Back