Bosch PowerTube 500 RIB Handle Broke

jpa2825

The carry handle of the PowerTube 500 for my Domane+ broke this past weekend. I typically remove it for charging and transporting the bike in our SUV (makes it lighter and easier to handle getting in & out of the SUV plus allows the battery to be stored in cool basement rather than garage). The plastic handle piece broke off (see photo).

From YT video of battery tear down @Dallant posted (thanks), this looks like a pretty easy plastic part to replace. Just not sure how to get the part and who could do the very basic-looking replacement. (I'm guessing Bosch is not going to drop ship the piece with a link to the YT video). Assume this would be covered under warranty as I purchased the bike a little over a year ago.

Additional complication: I wanted to see if battery would still function with broken handle. Good news is that it popped right in and read correctly on my Nyon(MY21) display with the same % charge as when my ride ended. Bad news is that it appears that the handle is an integral part of the removal process. As you may know, when you take the battery out, you 1st get it to dislodge to a "safety" position. Once there, you push down on the handle (spring loaded) and it releases the rest of the way. I presume this is to make sure it doesn't just pop out and fall to the ground if you aren't ready for it. Kinda "forces" you to grab the handle so you have control of it when it comes the rest of the way fully out. Pretty good system. HOWEVER, now that I have inserted the battery without the handle, I don't have anything to get it to release beyond the 1st click point. I can push it back in and it seats fine and functions properly. I can even recharge the battery onboard (which I was used to doing as my LBS didn't have the key when I first picked up the bike so I charged it this way for a couple of months until that got sorted.

Any advice appreciated. I am going to Waterloo for the Trek 100 charity ride in AUG so I don't want to be without it for any extended period of time.

Attachments

• Broken Handle PowerTube 500.jpg
    Broken Handle PowerTube 500.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 234
Sorry to hear your RIB handle broke!

The RIB System is 100% a Trek/Electra design/product. Trek designed their RIB System to attach the Bosch PT battery and Bosch power cable to their Trek/Electra eBikes. All other OEMs use Bosch's standard PT mounting system, as far as I'm aware.

For RIB replacement parts, contact your local Trek dealer and they should be able to help you out.

Last edited:
The carry handle of the PowerTube 500 for my Domane+ broke this past weekend. I typically remove it for charging and transporting the bike in our SUV (makes it lighter and easier to handle getting in & out of the SUV plus allows the battery to be stored in cool basement rather than garage). The plastic handle piece broke off (see photo).

From YT video of battery tear down @Dallant posted (thanks), this looks like a pretty easy plastic part to replace. Just not sure how to get the part and who could do the very basic-looking replacement. (I'm guessing Bosch is not going to drop ship the piece with a link to the YT video). Assume this would be covered under warranty as I purchased the bike a little over a year ago.

Additional complication: I wanted to see if battery would still function with broken handle. Good news is that it popped right in and read correctly on my Nyon(MY21) display with the same % charge as when my ride ended. Bad news is that it appears that the handle is an integral part of the removal process. As you may know, when you take the battery out, you 1st get it to dislodge to a "safety" position. Once there, you push down on the handle (spring loaded) and it releases the rest of the way. I presume this is to make sure it doesn't just pop out and fall to the ground if you aren't ready for it. Kinda "forces" you to grab the handle so you have control of it when it comes the rest of the way fully out. Pretty good system. HOWEVER, now that I have inserted the battery without the handle, I don't have anything to get it to release beyond the 1st click point. I can push it back in and it seats fine and functions properly. I can even recharge the battery onboard (which I was used to doing as my LBS didn't have the key when I first picked up the bike so I charged it this way for a couple of months until that got sorted.

Any advice appreciated. I am going to Waterloo for the Trek 100 charity ride in AUG so I don't want to be without it for any extended period of time.
Bummer. I’d just call your LBS and report it to see if it is replaceable under warranty or have him just order a replacement. Mind if I ask how it broke as they seem pretty stout? BTW, I think they’re like $5-$6.

Bummer. I’d just call your LBS and report it to see if it is replaceable under warranty or have him just order a replacement. Mind if I ask how it broke as they seem pretty stout? BTW, I think they’re like $5-$6.
Not 100% sure. When extended, I suppose the handle could catch on something and get strained / stressed. When recessed, it is very protected. When I get the battery back out of the Domane+, I can examine the other edge. Seems like a pretty clean break on the end I have. No fading or discoloration that might show from repeated pulling or pushing (like if you bend a black plastic fork back & forth until it snaps).

Thanks for the info. Wonder if I should cross-post to the Trek forum?

Thanks for the info. Wonder if I should cross-post to the Trek forum?
FWIW, I almost never use the handle for this very reason. I grab the battery in the middle so it’s as balanced in my hand as I can get it.

Back