Bosch performance line system issue

MatyasGreff

Region
Europe
Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.
I have an ebike(lapierre overvolt) with a bosch performance line motor and a bosch battery pack 400. Last night after work I connected the bike to the charger as usual and went to bed, by the morning it looks like the battery is fully charged but the bike has a weird problem where it turns on only for a second then turns off. This is while it's unplugged from the charger. When it is plugged in, the bike seems to be able to turn on but only to display the current mode(sport, eco, etc). As normal it should not be like this at all. Normally, when I put it on the charger it stays turned off and only displays the little charging symbol on the purion display, and when I disconnect it it should power on by itself automatically. Also, when I try to turn it on, it beeps 3 times then makes a weird noise, something similar to a radio's static noise before turning off, this might be normal, I'm not sure as I never listened closely when turning on the bike. I tried replacing the batteries in the purion display, checking the connectors, took the crank arm and plastic plate off the motor and disconnected/reconnected all the plugs but the problem still persists. I have no warranty, please advise.

Try turning on the display, then push the reset button on the battery pack for at least 15 seconds. Both while unplugged from the charger.

How about the battery contacts? Try some contact cleaner no matter what they look like. After that, a trip to the dealer to have them plug into the system with a diagnostic.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bosch-ebike-won’t-turn-on.37843/

Lots of reading out there!

Your video shows the Purion with no speed displayed. Until you see a "0.0," the system is not "booted," and will not function. This usually means a physical disruption in the CAN connection (damaged wire, corroded contacts, etc.) Most common causes are a faulty battery cable, corrosion on battery contacts, improperly installed or corroded display contacts (not an issue with Purion.) A faulty battery can cause this as well, but your battery appears to light up.

I'd recommend getting a diagnostic report from a Certified shop. Even if you are out of warranty, they can still contact Bosch eBike Service for technical support and troubleshooting guidance. Bosch does not charge for this assistance, but it is wise to ask your shop what they charge for their shop service time.

A few more things you can try at home:
- Attempt to turn the eBike on using the power button on the Powerpack, not the Purion.
- Remove Powerpack from eBike, then press+hold Powerpack power button for 15 seconds (BMS reset.)

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them. I did try yo turn on with the button on the battery pack, it's on the video as well... Same result. I also tried removing the battery and holding the power button to reset it. After putting it back into the bike:same result as before. I noticed something very interesting though today: if I don't touch the bike for a while, maybe for a couple of hours, then I try to turn it on, it actually displays 0.00 km, turbo for a few seconds, then turns off. Then if I try again, it turns off almost immediately. It looks like the more I don't touch it, the more it will stay on(we're still talking less than 10 seconds) very odd... I found a bosch repair place near me so I will take it there probably this weekend. In the meantime any suggestions are still welcome.

Sounds like the display batteries are dead.

For reference, Purion should work with dead batteries, or even without batteries. They exist in Purion only for "Turn On" and "Turn Off" signals to the drive unit, so you have to turn on/off using Powerpack. Not an ideal way to operate the eBike, but should help with troubleshooting, and/or finishing a ride. Made a video, let me know if the link doesn't work.

Thanks for the suggestions, I put some brand new batteries into the purion but still got the same result. I tried powering on using the button on the battery pack, also same result. I tried these loads of times, even before posting here, and I keep trying everyday but no improvement so far. I suppose the only thing now is to take it to a bosch mechanic.

Update!
About 20 minutes ago I walked by the bike and tried to turn it on.. It worked!!
Then turned itself off again, then I turned on again, and tried to lift up the wheel and pedal to see if the assist will kick in and it did, as well as the lights. I decided to take it out for a spin, when I went outside, the first 3 tries, it wouldn't turn on again, then somehow it did and I was riding it for a good 5 minutes. No issues, everything worked. Then when I got to my gate and parked the bike, it turned itself off again. Ever since that I'm not able to power it on again.
Well this is definitely an improvement, but still I can't use it properly...
I was thinking maybe water got into one of the plugs somewhere and as it dries, the bike stays on for longer? Or perhaps it's some form of a connection issue? Also when I tried to turn it on outside while riding it, I felt that the assist kicked in for a second before powering off.

Seems like a faulty battery cable. Sometimes, they are defective from the factory, but will work for a while. Then the defect worsens over time and we end up with the situation you have... intermittent issues. Other times, a perfectly good cable is damaged by the assembler, and the same story as above.

Interested to hear what your shop says. Luckily, the battery cable is fairly simple to test if they have a spare on hand.

I have cleaned the battery terminals with this. it has taken care of my connection issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1C8UO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P&psc=1
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty rough with my poor FatSix and it spends any time I'm not riding it attached to the rear of my car and exposed to the elements. I ended up needing to Dremel my Bosch's battery-terminals recently with a wire-brush attachment to resolve some corrosion issues which were affecting battery connectivity. Just ordered some of this stuff to treat it going forward.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty rough with my poor FatSix and it spends any time I'm not riding it attached to the rear of my car and exposed to the elements. I ended up needing to Dremel my Bosch's battery-terminals recently with a wire-brush attachment to resolve some corrosion issues which were affecting battery connectivity. Just ordered some of this stuff to treat it going forward.
yep to works great.I actually waterproofed a garage door opener with it. I tested it by running it under a faucet and using it at the same time. Now I can just stick it on my bike and no worries about rain.

Update!
About 20 minutes ago I walked by the bike and tried to turn it on.. It worked!!
Then turned itself off again, then I turned on again, and tried to lift up the wheel and pedal to see if the assist will kick in and it did, as well as the lights. I decided to take it out for a spin, when I went outside, the first 3 tries, it wouldn't turn on again, then somehow it did and I was riding it for a good 5 minutes. No issues, everything worked. Then when I got to my gate and parked the bike, it turned itself off again. Ever since that I'm not able to power it on again.
Well this is definitely an improvement, but still I can't use it properly...
I was thinking maybe water got into one of the plugs somewhere and as it dries, the bike stays on for longer? Or perhaps it's some form of a connection issue? Also when I tried to turn it on outside while riding it, I felt that the assist kicked in for a second before powering off.
Looks like my bike got the same issue now. Any updates from shop on the subject ?

Looks like my bike got the same issue now. Any updates from shop on the subject ?
Didn't take it to a shop at all. A few weeks after my last update, the bike simply fixed itself. I'm riding it ever since, no issues whatsoever. The whole story started with me forgetting the bike on the charger for 2 days straight. After that, at first it didn't work at all then it slowly repaired itself.

Didn't take it to a shop at all. A few weeks after my last update, the bike simply fixed itself. I'm riding it ever since, no issues whatsoever. The whole story started with me forgetting the bike on the charger for 2 days straight. After that, at first it didn't work at all then it slowly repaired itself.
Thanks. My bike suddenly came back to life today so all ok 'for now'. The bike was out in the rain the night before so it could be related to humidity i guess.

Back