Bosch Nyon system abandoned?

Vim Fuego

Not had any map updates for a year, none of the reported bugs fixed either, radio silence from Bosch support.

Feels abandoned to me. They have moved on to their "smart" system, which feels like the smart choice to avoid, if their previous support is anything to go by.

last update was 10/22 but bosch wont stop updating it till they have the new one out. but they have never green great about updating maps.

The nav naps in my car haven't been updated since 2016. Frankly, it's a miracle I can even manage to get out of the driveway with such outdated abandonware. :rolleyes:
A good parallel indeed! :) That's why I prefer using my smartphone with a subscribed satnav app to any satnav provided with the car (like cars I rent abroad or in my home country).

As you guys stated, importing a GPX route from a smartphone to Nyon would work. Only there's a situation you are far away into your ride and now need to find the fastest safe bike route home; or to another destination (as your plan might have changed due to any reason). Wahoo or Garmin let you specify your new destination and lead you to there over the safest possible bike route with the most updated maps. I don't think that would be possible with the ossified organization such as Bosch E-Bike.

For my part I use Ride with GPS. It is free ans use it in conjonction with my Garmin Varia RTL radar. It does a perfect job. Everyride I do is register for many years with all data.

For my part I use Ride with GPS. It is free ans use it in conjonction with my Garmin Varia RTL radar. It does a perfect job. Everyride I do is register for many years with all data.
I like RideWithGPS a lot but had to subscribe to get all the features I want. Sorry, don't recall the details, but still a good value.

You're not concerned about radar-seeking missiles??
;^}

Pair your Varia Radar
  1. Power on the Varia device.
  2. Open the Ride with GPS app and tap More > Settings.
  3. Tap Bluetooth and Sensors.
  4. Toggle on Enable Bluetooth.
  5. Tap Set up Varia Radar.
On the screen, you have a bar on the left side. Each car behind you will appear and get closer to the top of the apps and you can add sound to alert you. If a car goes too fast, the little car in the bar will turn red and flash. You always know if someone is behind you.

It can also detect bicycle coming. If you travel with friend the it not not beep since you are approximatively at the same speed.

I have the free version which is enough for my need. I have all the maps and all of my tracks are store and the end of my trip. I can add remarks. Every month I receive info of my pass data. I know have 2 years of data I can look at. No need to pay for basic unless you really need what it has to offer.

On the radar there is a big flashing red light that you can adjust to your need. I like the big flashing mode so the car very far away from me can see that I am on the road. I feel safe. Very easy to use. The best gift I could offer to myself.

The Ride with GPS app is compatible with iPhone (iOS 10+) and Android (Android 16+ and OpenGL ES 2.0+) devices, as well as Apple Watch, Android Wear, and iPad.

Cheers

On the screen, you have a bar on the left side. Each car behind you will appear and get closer to the top of the apps and you can add sound to alert you. If a car goes too fast, the little car in the bar will turn red and flash. You always know if someone is behind you.
Thank you! So, your RWGPS with the smartphone effectively becomes the Varia radar display.
(I do not use Varia but my Wahoo would be the Varia display in my case. Or, Specialized Mastermind display works with Varia, too).

I like RideWithGPS a lot but had to subscribe to get all the features I want. Sorry, don't recall the details, but still a good value.
The RWGPS subscription allows me doing two principal things I need:
  • On-the-fly route planning from the smartphone (then transferring the new route to Wahoo). (Wahoo can do ad hoc route planning for you but you have no control over the Wahoo suggested route).
  • Advanced route planning features on the computer.
My cycling club activities involve a lot of work to prepare routes for the group. Say, I get a raw GPX from someone. First of all, typically such a GPX has no cues (RWGPS would Auto-Trace the route to provide the missing cues). There are numerous paid features to split the route, delete route segments, make several individual route parts, reversing the route and so on.

For instance, I could have test ridden a route I had created myself. The proposed route could lead me in a cul-de-sac or impassable segments (sand, deep mud, a creek, fallen trees). After I have done the pre-ride, my actually recorder trip track would be different from the planned one. Now, I work on that GPX to prepare the final route for the club. The paid features of RWGPS are invaluable!

1678426415361.png

A tentative gravel cycling group ride route plan (RWGPS) including the POI. It needs to be test ridden yet.

It is really good a GPX made with RWGPS can be uploaded to Nyon!

Interesting.

I mainly use my Moustache bike on normal road so the free version is perfect for me. I understand you do a lot of off road. Nice to have all theses gadgets.
Cheers.

The nav naps in my car haven't been updated since 2016. Frankly, it's a miracle I can even manage to get out of the driveway with such outdated abandonware. :rolleyes:
It's the bugs that are the bigger issue, like really brain-dead bugs like 1:1 conversion between miles and kilometres. How did that get past test? Was it even tested, or just thrown over the wall?

Screenshot_20230330-212536.png

This particular big had been there for a year now, unfixed. Plenty of other bugs also.

This particular big had been there for a year now, unfixed.
I told Bosch the last time 5 years ago or so about this miles/kilometers thing. I just ignore it.

However, I use my Nyon since 2014 and they fixed a lot of bugs in the first years.
But this one seems to be pretty hard to fix 🤭

All the nice features including the big screen weigh more than this little bug in the notification (which I turned off).
And for planning trips it works perfectly fine with Komoot synchronizing the routes into the Nyon at any time even during a trip.

The main issue with the maps in the US is that there are too many "private" roads that should not even be on the map.
Sometimes you just end up in front of a gate and have to find a detour.

Last edited:
Can we assume that Bosch have abandoned the 2yr old Nyon'21 device? It's not getting fixes or map updates.
WTH are you talking about? You need an update every other month?
I use the first generation Nyon one for almost 9 years now and they still have an update in the queue. Totally fine if it receives an updated every other year or after 3 years.

I use the first generation Nyon one for almost 9 years now and they still have an update in the queue. Totally fine if it receives an updated every other year or after 3 years.
Only the map updates for Wahoo occur pretty frequently. Cannot say for garmin.

Last update was March 2022. The maps, even older, now coming up to 2 years old, there are bugs in 3.0.0.0 software still not fixed. Not sure were you get "every other month"?

Last edited:
The other really frustrating long standing bug, which is server-side and surely affects ALL Bosch systems, is the Komoot sync.

Basically, a sync of your last ride to Komoot only occurs when a new ride is uploaded.

If I do a ride, upload the data to ebike connect and then go on holiday for a month, no data ever appears on Komoot.

As soon as I come back from holiday and do a ride, my ride from a month ago appears.

How hard can it be to do a periodic task to sync anything stale, say older than a day?

Seemingly very hard for Bosch, just like it's impossible to get the 1:1 miles to kilometres bug sorted.

@Stephen - Bosch Team is Nyon and Ebike Connect abandoned? Will these any of these bugs get fixed? Will I ever get any updates maps on my Nyon '21 ?

That's not my experience with synchronisation between Komoot and Ebike-connect/Nyon.

What is your mobile phone operating system?

Also, what are your Komoot synchronisation settings in Ebike-connect?

Does a completed trip on the Nyon have time to synchronise with Ebike-connect before the Nyon is turned off?

Last edited:
Back