Bosch Nyon Retrofit on Riese & Muller Homage in the USA

Alaskan

I first posted this information back in the spring. Since then I have gotten many follow-up questions. I thought it might be useful to edit, update and repost it.

The Nyon display adds a terrific number of useful functions to the handlebar display/contol for the Bosch ebike drive system.

Many have expressed concern that the installation of a Nyon to replace the more basic Intuvia display might invalidate the Bosch warranty. I contacted San Diego Fly Rides, the Riese & Muller dealer from whom I purchased both my Nevo Nuvinci GH as well as the Homage Rohloff HS. They indicated that installation of the Nyon would pose no problem with the Bosch warranty. Others have verified this directly with Bosch. In fact the guys at San Diego Fly Rides were quite interested in learning about this process.

Here is a very useful resource to download various Bosch Manuals including the manual for the Nyon: https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Downloads

While it is possible to install the Nyon without changing out the controller on the left side of the handlebar, having the joy stick on the controller makes switching between screens on the Nyon a safer thing to do as it can be done without removing a hand from the grips.

I have been able to purchase the generation 1 Nyon in as new condition on eBay for under $100, I have had to go to Germany to purchase the controller. The Gen 1 Nyon has 1gb of memory whereas the gen2 has 8gb. I have the maps for all of Washington State and British Columbia on mine with over 150mb still free.

Installation of the controller is straightforward. The other end of the controller cable is attached to a 1"'x1" rectangular panel on the back upper left of the intuvia display mount, held in place by four tiny screws. You need an very small, jewelers Phillips screw driver.

• Have the app loaded to your phone. Here is a link to an Android app download https://apkpure.com/bosch-ebike-connect/com.bosch.ebike
  • It is a bit more complicated if you have an apple phone. From what I can gather you will need to open an app store account in the UK and then get the app through that site.
  • Take a photo with your phone of how the cable runs from the controller to the display mount.
  • Mine was wound loosely around my handlebar (see my photo attached).
  • Loosen the screw at the bottom of the intuvia controller and take it off the left side of your handlebar.
  • Slightly loosen all four screws on your intuvia display mount and rotate it on the handlebar so it is as upside down as possible.
  • Carefully remove the four screws holding the small panel to the back of the mount.
  • Carefully remove the controller interface panel taking care to catch the fine weather-sealing, red gasket
  • Make sure the fine, red sealing gasket is in its groove before you place the Nyon controller interface on the back of the display mount.
  • Secure the four screws.
  • Turn on the Nyon. You will get the 580 error message. Ignore it push the up or down button.
  • Make sure you are within good range of your home wifi network.
  • Get into the settings menu and set up your wifi, enter password, etc.
  • The Nyon will automatically want to update to the latest version. Let it do that.
  • On your computer go to https://www.ebike-connect.com and set up your account/profile.
  • Start exploring and playing around.
  • Create custom ride and fitness screens.
  • Open up your portal at ebike-connect.com when you get home from riding. All the legs of your route for the day are mapped out and recorded in detail while you are walking from your bike to your computer...too cool.
  • Create your next route on your computer and download it to your nyon...ready to go when you turn on your bike.

Nyon is the best looking, most useful bike computer I have seen. The only negative is that it takes about 15 seconds to boot up before you can select assist levels and begin your ride.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great step by step write-up. I am really debating whether to take the chance with a Nyon on my Gazelle Arroyo (Bosch Performance Line/Intuvia system). The $100 Nyons no longer seem to be available on ebay, but there is a new unit with controller for $269 +$15 shipping.

I do have a few questions ... Does the Nyon have its own GPS chip, or does it get its location via Bluetooth from the phone? Also, what is involved in installing a different map region? Is an active phone/bluetooth connection required when using the Nyon on a ride, or can it operate stand-alone once set up and populated with map data?

It operates stand alone, with its own gps sensor. It can add maps either through your cell phones data connection or preferably via wifi. It records all ride data and shares it almost instantly when you arrive at home and it can reconnect to your home wifi. You can easily convert any track to a route that can be used to give turn to turn directions. Alternately you can us google maps to create a route and then save it as a gpx file, upload it to your Bosch portal when all your past ride data resides in amazing detail. The next time you turn on you Nyon in range of wifi, your new route is automatically uploaded along with any changes to your custom ride or fitness screen. There is not much detail in the maps and no info about food, gas, bank, hotel, etc.

Here is a photo of the installed Nyon on my Riese & Muller Nevo Nuvinci GH

Attachments

• 20180715_102732.jpg
    20180715_102732.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 674
It operates stand alone, with its own gps sensor. It can add maps either through your cell phones data connection or preferably via wifi. It records all ride data and shares it almost instantly when you arrive at home and it can reconnect to your home wifi. You can easily convert any track to a route that can be used to give turn to turn directions. Alternately you can us google maps to create a route and then save it as a gpx file, upload it to your Bosch portal when all your past ride data resides in amazing detail. The next time you turn on you Nyon in range of wifi, your new route is automatically uploaded along with any changes to your custom ride or fitness screen. There is not much detail in the maps and no info about food, gas, bank, hotel, etc.

How do you create GPX files with Google Maps?

Back