Bosch motor average life span.

I recently bought a new ebike with the Bosch Active Line Plus motor. I’m a relatively high mileage rider doing about 125 miles a week, all year round. About how many miles could I expect to go before I need to replace the motor? Ed
We have 3 Bosch motor bikes . None have had motor or battery issues. The oldest bike has 22,000 km , and the other two have 8,000 and 3,000.

Bought my first Trek with Performance CX in 2017. No problems for 26 months/9,117 miles. Motor died, Bosch replaced it foc. That motor lasted 5 months/1,497 miles before failing. Again, Bosch replaced it foc.

Felt I needed a backup so:

Bought new bike, again, Performance CX. It lasted just 4 months/695 miles before motor seized. Replaced by Bosch foc. Recently, 7 months/1,253 miles later Error Code 500 appeared – still awaiting diagnostic results at LBS.

To sum up: two bikes have had 5 drive units (so far) over the space of just over 3 years and 12,722 miles. All have been replaced by Bosch foc and each time the 2 year warranty is renewed. If this continues it may prove to be a form of perpetual motion!
WOW that is shocking!

Hey everyone..I can give a definitive answer because my Bosch Performance motor (on a Haibike Trekking) gave out after 10,000 miles. One of the parts inside the motor started to wear down and the motor lost about 50% of its functionality. At 11,000 miles I finally decided to replace the motor. I would pin the lifespan at about 10,000 miles for daily/regular use. Just FYI, these motors are NOT serviceable and basically have to be replaced if anything goes wrong inside. It costs about $1000 to replace the motor. And it can take forever to replace because the Bosch company has to authorize replacement, and replacement motors aren't stocked as well as you would expect. But overall it's still worth it because the Bosch motor works great and is generally reliable. Plus, $1000 is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole bike!

well I hope I get more then 10,000 miles as I will hit that before the warranty is up. I am already over 9000 and i have not had the bike two years.

I am having a whining noise now in my Trek XM700 at 10.000 miles. Been good but there is something causing the motor to whine. Gonna have to take to LBS and see what they say.
My motor was replaced under warranty at 9600 miles as I was under 2 years since purchase new.

In my mtb group we have 3 riders with second gen Bosch cx motors. One of us went through replacement around 2k miles. Mine is doing fine around 2.5k. We all are gentle on our bikes.
A rider I know with second gen speed motor who puts a lot of miles on it, went through replacement at around 7-8k miles.

I am in good terms with my lbs and every time I visit them they can just pull and show a recently pulled out gen 2 mid drive that they will be sending back for warranty replacement.

I don't think one can put a lifespan easily, there will be anomalies which will many miles and some which will require replacement. I have several, both new and older generation bosch bikes and I like them all, as long as you have warranty you are in good hands with Bosch.

In my mtb group we have 3 riders with second gen Bosch cx motors. One of us went through replacement around 2k miles. Mine is doing fine around 2.5k. We all are gentle on our bikes.
A rider I know with second gen speed motor who puts a lot of miles on it, went through replacement at around 7-8k miles.

I am in good terms with my lbs and every time I visit them they can just pull and show a recently pulled out gen 2 mid drive that they will be sending back for warranty replacement.

I don't think one can put a lifespan easily, there will be anomalies which will many miles and some which will require replacement. I have several, both new and older generation bosch bikes and I like them all, as long as you have warranty you are in good hands with Bosch.
We have 3 bikes with gen 2 Bosch motors with a combined over 45, 000 km now and ZERO issues so far. One has 29,000 , then 13,000 and 4,000 (-:

Last edited:
Hey everyone..I can give a definitive answer because my Bosch Performance motor (on a Haibike Trekking) gave out after 10,000 miles. One of the parts inside the motor started to wear down and the motor lost about 50% of its functionality. At 11,000 miles I finally decided to replace the motor. I would pin the lifespan at about 10,000 miles for daily/regular use. Just FYI, these motors are NOT serviceable and basically have to be replaced if anything goes wrong inside. It costs about $1000 to replace the motor. And it can take forever to replace because the Bosch company has to authorize replacement, and replacement motors aren't stocked as well as you would expect. But overall it's still worth it because the Bosch motor works great and is generally reliable. Plus, $1000 is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole bike!

If regular maintenance has been done, the motors hold up for a long time.
Checking the bolt/ torque on the motor mounts, removing dirt/ debris, and avoiding exposure to torrential rain will certainly help.
It also depends on the manufacturer. Certain manufacturers have higher standards and I personally know 4-5 cases, where they worked with Bosch to replace the motor or battery w/o charge and to uphold the goodwill even after the 2yr warranty period. If the manufacturer is callous, it ends up costing for the end-user but generally, Bosch is pretty good with warranty.

--------------------------------------

There have been cases where the end-user took the bikes to the Burning Man event and the fine sand particles made their way through the opening and to the innards, causing some friction in the gearbox.

We have 3 bikes with gen 2 Bosch motors with a combined over 45, 000 km now and ZERO issues so far. One has 29,000 , then 13,000 and 4,000 (-:

Steve, I may have misinterpreted your response. I have to reiterate that you wrote this in response to what I wrote. Unfortunately in my quote your quotation is not present hence people think I wrote this all of a sudden for nothing. Because your post was a response to my post I thought you were being dismissive about my post.
Come to think of it I think I was a bit too sensitive, If it was not your intention consider my following responses a misunderstanding and accept my apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
1620594415300.png

This is how failures are often modeled in manufacturing - the failure rate is high at the beginning, due to lemons, and then high at the end as parts wear out. Known as the bathtub curve.

As for which brand is most reliable, there may not be definitive data, but Pedego has the most generous warranties at 5 years, and then Yamaha at 3 years, vs 2 for Bosch.

Back