Bosch hold back motor

KiwiAdventrue

When will Bosch issue an update to remove their electric motor hold back when you try and peddle past Bosch max speed. It's becoming frustration using my Moustache bike.

Never. Not only that, they’re taking steps to make it harder for third party tuners to remove the limit, too.

The mamby-pambies are winning the top assist speed debate. When the current world record had someone ride at nearly 35mph for an hour without any assist, what is accomplished by an assist limit of 20mph?

What's funny is there are those that will attempt to answer this.

The bottom line is the anyone that rides a bike/ebike must do so responsibly just like we all must do when we drive a car. I'm am certain that at the age of 10 I had ridden a bike faster than 20mph and I see some people write into EBR saying they don't feel safe going over 20mph (ie the mambies).

Even if they did remove the "hold back" they pretty much naturally drop out around 28mph anyway. At 28, the aerodynamics really kick in. It's like shoving a brick through the air with a tiny motor. Then considering the size of the battery pack, distance would be quite limited unless you use the new double pack system. Why did you buy a limited bike in the first place, didn't you consider the frustration then?

This hold back that you talk about is something new to me. The newer Bosch motor (2019 Performance line plus) reviews mentions that it free pedals easier than previous models. I don't think its a "hold" back but just the resistance you are feeling once the bike reaches the max allowable speed with power (no one is above the law and that is the law of Ebikes). There is a device to eliminate the 20 mph or 28 mph limit on the older models but Bosch just announced safe guards that they will introduce to the 2020 models that will detect this alteration and disable the power to the motor totally. You are forced to back to the dealer to re-initialize the motor. Everyone wants to go faster...just pedal harder down that hill!!

The mamby-pambies are winning the top assist speed debate. When the current world record had someone ride at nearly 35mph for an hour without any assist, what is accomplished by an assist limit of 20mph?

What's funny is there are those that will attempt to answer this.

The bottom line is the anyone that rides a bike/ebike must do so responsibly just like we all must do when we drive a car. I'm am certain that at the age of 10 I had ridden a bike faster than 20mph and I see some people write into EBR saying they don't feel safe going over 20mph (ie the mambies).

Don't confuse not wanting to ride fast with being afraid to ride fast! I've posted that I don't ride over 20 and I don't on public roads, trails, and paths, if I were commuting I would keep up with traffic but I'm retired and just ride for the pleasure of it. I rode and raced motorcycles most of my life, I competed in mountain biking since the early days, I'm not the least bit afraid, I've switched the controllers on most of my bikes for increased motor output, I have three mid drives putting out 1500-1600 watts and one more on the way. I'm not scared to go fast I just prefer not to but would and do if I have to. And I do go fast if no one is around and it's safe to do so. Meet me after school and call me a mamsy pansy ?

Last edited:
Resistance free pedals is what I want as I like to ride my Moustache around 30kph I'm not worried about its Bosch motor turning off between 26-27kph.

This hold back that you talk about is something new to me. The newer Bosch motor (2019 Performance line plus) reviews mentions that it free pedals easier than previous models. I don't think its a "hold" back but just the resistance you are feeling once the bike reaches the max allowable speed with power (no one is above the law and that is the law of Ebikes). There is a device to eliminate the 20 mph or 28 mph limit on the older models but Bosch just announced safe guards that they will introduce to the 2020 models that will detect this alteration and disable the power to the motor totally. You are forced to back to the dealer to re-initialize the motor. Everyone wants to go faster...just pedal harder down that hill!!

I think almost anyone that has really investigated the 32kph/20mph assist limit on most ebikes realize it was more about protecting low power of mid-drives than anything else. Obviously it does not limit the speed of the ebike when going do a hill so what does it really accomplish?

You need to read the US Federal ebike definition because I don't think you know what the top regulatory law is. States are really only allowed to regulate "usage" not redefine what is a legal ebike but if you work for DMV or an insurance company you will want to claim otherwise to make money from Class 3 ebike registrations and insurance coverage.

I've looked for any statistical data on safety driven assist limits and there is none that I know of, yet that is frequently stated as justification for the assist limit.

Don't confuse not wanting to ride fast with being afraid to ride fast! I've posted that I don't ride over 20 and I don't on public roads, trails, and paths, if I were commuting I would keep up with traffic but I'm retired and just ride for the pleasure of it. I rode and raced motorcycles most of my life, I competed in mountain biking since the early days, I'm not the least bit afraid, I've switched the controllers on most of my bikes for increased motor output, I have three mid drives putting out 1500-1600 watts and one more on the way. I'm not scared to go fast I just prefer not to but would and do if I have to. And I do go fast if no one is around and it's safe to do so. Meet me after school and call me a mamsy pansy ?

I'm always repeating myself on the value of higher assist speeds for commuting because time is a factor when you are trying to make a living and not out for a leisure or recreation ride in retirement.

When I ride in a bike lane on the side of a street I'm absolutely safer if I can reduce the delta between the cars and myself. Same is said when I ride mixed paths where people may be walking or mamby-pambies may be out for a leisure ride.....I slow down to be more in line with their speed so everyone is safer.

How many times to you think someone out for a serious ride on a road bike without assist exceeds 20mph when there is someone that rode almost 30mph for 1 hour on one. You essentially said that you do go faster if no one is around....isn't that what 99% of the ebikers will do even if the assist goes beyond 32kph/20mph?

Back