Bosch eBike Updates for 2020 - Generation 4 Motors | CX | Cargo | Speed

Chris Nolte

I had the privilege of meeting up with Jocelyn at the new Bosch Ebike Systems Headquarters for North America to learn more about the updates 2020 Bosch updates. Many new exciting changes including the Bosch Generation 4 motors, addition of the Cargo Line as well as the new Smartphone Hub with the COBI app.
I hope you guys enjoy the video. Let us know if you’d like us to cover any more of these topics in more detail.

Excellent review, thank you Chris!
I really like the graphic ebike ball cap you are wearing. Any chance you'd be able to steer me in the direction where I could buy one?
Thanks!

I enjoyed that video, thanks.

Chris, I'm not familiar with you, but I assume you must own a shop or somehow be involved in the industry.
Chris is a knowledgeable, active source of great ebike info. A man on a mission he has two ebike shops the carry a carefully curated collection of the best ebikes.

I had the privilege of meeting up with Jocelyn at the new Bosch Ebike Systems Headquarters for North America to learn more about the updates 2020 Bosch updates. Many new exciting changes including the Bosch Generation 4 motors, addition of the Cargo Line as well as the new Smartphone Hub with the COBI app.
I hope you guys enjoy the video. Let us know if you’d like us to cover any more of these topics in more detail.

Chris, great to see you produce some informative video. I had a great experience buying my Cannondale E-bike through your shop and now on the hunt for an e bike for my wife. This was helpful since it provided up to date info on Bosch which is what my current bike uses. I am interested in staying with the Bosch ecosystem so my wife and I can use the same batteries....

I enjoyed that video, thanks.

Chris, I'm not familiar with you, but I assume you must own a shop or somehow be involved in the industry.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m really just getting started so it’s always nice to hear feedback. I’ve been in the industry for about 8 years and I have two shops. I’m really grateful to be in the ebike industry.

Chris is a GURU ! 🖖

IMHO

Craig :cool:

I still have a lot to learn, but I’m happy to be able to share what I have learned so far. I learn so much from you and other ebike community members all the time!

Excellent review, thank you Chris!
I really like the graphic ebike ball cap you are wearing. Any chance you'd be able to steer me in the direction where I could buy one?
Thanks!
Thanks! That graphic is actually our logo. We just had some made recently. I don’t have it on my website but if you email us at [email protected] I would be happy to get you one.
Chris, great to see you produce some informative video. I had a great experience buying my Cannondale E-bike through your shop and now on the hunt for an e bike for my wife. This was helpful since it provided up to date info on Bosch which is what my current bike uses. I am interested in staying with the Bosch ecosystem so my wife and I can use the same batteries....
Thanks for your support and business. As you probably already know I’m a big fan of Bosch. Cannondale makes some great bikes as well. Feel free to reach out anytime and I’ll be happy to help get your wife setup.

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback. It really means a lot and I welcome constructive criticism as I know I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m really just getting started so it’s always nice to hear feedback. I’ve been in the industry for about 8 years and I have two shops. I’m really grateful to be in the ebike industry.

I still have a lot to learn, but I’m happy to be able to share what I have learned so far. I learn so much from you and other ebike community members all the time!

Thanks! That graphic is actually our logo. We just had some made recently. I don’t have it on my website but if you email us at [email protected] I would be happy to get you one.

Thanks for your support and business. As you probably already know I’m a big fan of Bosch. Cannondale makes some great bikes as well. Feel free to reach out anytime and I’ll be happy to help get your wife setup.

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback. It really means a lot and I welcome constructive criticism as I know I have a lot to learn.

Chris..I enjoyed your help in your shop when I bought my e bike last year..btw I produce video content for agencies and media companies...happy to help your video efforts and a topic Im passionate about...anytime...just ask!

@Chris Nolte thanks for the video! I have a question or two. First, I am trying to figure out the main difference(s) between the Gen4 Performance CX and Speed. Are the motors the same w/ different software (as in Gen2)? Or are they the same (up to 20mph) with more top end for the Speed version? What does the torque curve look like for the CX vs Speed?

The second question regards the Phone/COBI display. Jocelyn states that this system can be added as an aftermarket upgrade. My ebike currently uses the KIOX display and it works OK but I am curious about this new option. E.g., when will it be available, how difficult is it to install and how much does it cost?

Chris..I enjoyed your help in your shop when I bought my e bike last year..btw I produce video content for agencies and media companies...happy to help your video efforts and a topic Im passionate about...anytime...just ask!
Thanks so much! I really appreciate that! I’ll definitely keep this in mind and we should maybe connect next time I’m in town. Please let me know if you have any constructive criticism as I certainly welcome that and we are still just learning.

@Chris Nolte thanks for the video! I have a question or two. First, I am trying to figure out the main difference(s) between the Gen4 Performance CX and Speed. Are the motors the same w/ different software (as in Gen2)? Or are they the same (up to 20mph) with more top end for the Speed version? What does the torque curve look like for the CX vs Speed?

The second question regards the Phone/COBI display. Jocelyn states that this system can be added as an aftermarket upgrade. My ebike currently uses the KIOX display and it works OK but I am curious about this new option. E.g., when will it be available, how difficult is it to install and how much does it cost?
Good question. The Gen 4 CX and Speed are technically different hardware, but they are very close to the same. The power curve is definitely different in that the CX has more power available early on and the Speed has more power available in the top end. They both now have a max torque of 75Nm but the Speed actually realizes this max torque past the 20mph mark.

At the moment we don’t have the pricing for the Smartphone Hub. It won’t work with e-Shift and for the install it will require you to rerun the cable from the handlebars down to the motor. For that I would recommend a shop to do it. It would be also available to have the system fully updated when completed.

I hope this is helpful. I plan to do a more technical video on the motors eventually. So let me know if you have more questions and I can try to address them.

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge an insight @Chris Nolte !

As I understand the Gen4 don't have the reduction gear inside, so it will be less drag in the motor when you reach the speed limit. But what do you loose when you remove the reduction gear? Is there anything the Gen2 is better at than Gen4 since it has a reduction gear?

Don’t know a better way to say it than this . . . If you are serious about an ebike get in touch with Chris and propel. The level of knowledge and professionalism is incredible. I didn’t buy a bike from them, but my experience with them was so awesome that it left an impression with me.

Dave

Ps. The lack of purchase from them had nothing to do with them or the bikes. My wife didn’t want to spend much on bikes.

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge an insight @Chris Nolte !

As I understand the Gen4 don't have the reduction gear inside, so it will be less drag in the motor when you reach the speed limit. But what do you loose when you remove the reduction gear? Is there anything the Gen2 is better at than Gen4 since it has a reduction gear?
Thanks! It’s really my pleasure. I’m happy to be part of this growing community.

The Gen 4 does increase the noise a bit since you no longer have the power running through plastic gears. But the overall performance, size and weight have been improved with the Gen 4.

Don’t know a better way to say it than this . . . If you are serious about an ebike get in touch with Chris and propel. The level of knowledge and professionalism is incredible. I didn’t buy a bike from them, but my experience with them was so awesome that it left an impression with me.

Dave

Ps. The lack of purchase from them had nothing to do with them or the bikes. My wife didn’t want to spend much on bikes.
You’re really too kind. I’m really excited to be in this industry and I learn more everyday. I hope you’re enjoying your new bikes. I hope we have more lower priced options coming soon :)

From my perspective, whatever gets you out there is a good bike. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Chris, first of all thank you for these videos.

My question is do you know what exactly peak and nominal values mean for Bosch motors? Since you communicate with them regularly I am hoping that you have some detailed information. A technical document would be good too if they have any.

Peak can mean many different things, maximum input power that can be drawn from the battery or maximum power output for the motor and in both cases this value is usually only sustainable for very brief periods of time so not very important.

Likewise torque rating makes little sense unless we know what cadence range it is supplied.

I believe nominal powers (250 for CX and 350 for Speed) are outputs that can be sustained "indefinitely"(not really indefinitely but for long periods of time steadily) but in that case did you feel a significant difference when you are riding CX and Speed motors under load? The test may not be straightforward since CX is speed limited. One way to test is to ride both uphill (steep and long enough to keep them at their nominal output).

It was a good video! I believe the noise is mostly related to early production models, apparently the new versions will have finer tolerances between the gears and from my understanding the motors get quieter with time, when the gears break in a bit.

Back