Borp, Gorp, Torp, Sorp, Lorp, Borp, Orp

D

Deleted member 803

Just purchased and installed an ORP horn on my bike today. Went for a ride. Didn't really help getting noticed but I appeared to piss off a lot of drivers and got lots of angry looks. At my age, I'll take anyone looking at me as a compliment.

orp.png

Thanks for sharing (very cool). I wish there were more lumens in regards to the steady light (87?) yet (apparently) the strobe is not strong enough to get you noticed ...or were you talking about the horn(?).

If you really want to be noticed go with a good light with a strong strobe... People usually back out of my way, because the strobe makes it appear I'm moving faster and am closer to them ...Cygolite.. Rechargeable and lasts at least a week with daily use....

Don't know what other people experience, but bells only seem to work on pedestrians..lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1NQ3DU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the ORP without realizing it had lights. I bought it solely for the horn. I have a Light and Motion 1200W system for lights and, candidly, I have almos too much lighting.

I bought the ORP without realizing it had lights. I bought it solely for the horn. I have a Light and Motion 1200W system for lights and, candidly, I have almos too much lighting.
I was looking at it as well for just the horn. I don't like the idea that you have to turn it on for the horn only. How long does the battery last in that mode?

I was looking at it as well for just the horn. I don't like the idea that you have to turn it on for the horn only. How long does the battery last in that mode?
From what I found it states: 6 to 12 months... Would be much better if it were rechargeable! Don't need another light but I guess it couldn't hurt.

Just purchased and installed an ORP horn on my bike today. Went for a ride. Didn't really help getting noticed but I appeared to piss off a lot of drivers and got lots of angry looks. At my age, I'll take anyone looking at me as a compliment.
So is this horn worth getting? E-bikes should be seen and heard!

Thanks

J.R where did you find that it last 6-12 month?
It only found 6-12 hours for light part
http://www.orpland.com
Unfortunately They don't say anything about the time for using the horn only.

By the way you can recharge it.

lemmitrek, found it on Amazon (see below). If it's wrong it wouldn't surprise me, wouldn't be the first time I found wrong information on Amazon. Maybe I have the wrong horn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TDEV20/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9FSQM6TXKCGB
"140dB equivalent sound of a jet engine greater 4 times louder than nearest competitor
  • Easy to install same as traditional bike light
  • Rubber trigger stretches around all bicycle handlebars
  • Quieter park mode lower pitched horn sound
  • Batteries 2x AAA included last 6 12 months of normal use"

lemmitrek, found it on Amazon (see below). If it's wrong it wouldn't surprise me, wouldn't be the first time I found wrong information on Amazon. Maybe I have the wrong horn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TDEV20/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9FSQM6TXKCGB
"140dB equivalent sound of a jet engine greater 4 times louder than nearest competitor
  • Easy to install same as traditional bike light
  • Rubber trigger stretches around all bicycle handlebars
  • Quieter park mode lower pitched horn sound
  • Batteries 2x AAA included last 6 12 months of normal use"
J.R. your link is a different product than the ORP which 86 is talking about.

Not sure: I charge all my lights and horn once a week. I leave the horn on so I know it lasts at lease a week.

Bringing up this topic as I need to get a horn for my bike. Pedestrians wearing earphones just do not hear my cute sounding Easy Motion bell. People in cars certainly cannot hear it.

So for safety sake...

The thing I keep reading is these electronic horns (like Orb or Hornit) are indeed loud, but people don't recognize the sound or relate it to anything, so people don't respond the way that is needed for safety. That's my concern. I want pedestrians to move the heck outta the way and cars to stop in their tracks.

Suggestions on other horns out there?

Bringing up this topic as I need to get a horn for my bike. Pedestrians wearing earphones just do not hear my cute sounding Easy Motion bell. People in cars certainly cannot hear it.

So for safety sake...

The thing I keep reading is these electronic horns (like Orb or Hornit) are indeed loud, but people don't recognize the sound or relate it to anything, so people don't respond the way that is needed for safety. That's my concern. I want pedestrians to move the heck outta the way and cars to stop in their tracks.

Suggestions on other horns out there?
"I want pedestrians to move the heck outta the way and cars to stop in their tracks."

Me too! I've found the only option to accomplish that is to mount the Ma Deuce on the handle bar.:eek:

I did purchase the Orp (here) and would do so again, I like it very much. Horn is loud and works most of the time with those on foot, yelling only occasionally "on your left" is required. The three mode light is very effective to be seen and to see as a flood, day and night. Needing an additional spot to see far ahead on longer night rides. The bad news is nothing convenient works on everything! The horn will not work for those that have no desire to be aware of their surroundings, such as headphone wearing peds or shut-up cars with music, makeup, mirrors, shaving, newspapers, coffee, soda, beer, wine, spirits, mary-jane etcetera, etcetera... :( Oh well, just means I have to be as vigilant as I ever was.

As I said I do like the Orp and most times it's the only light/horn I need, very convenient with a long lasting charge.

Just ordered the Orp.

Also ordered a hi-viz safety vest on ebay.

Last edited:
Back