Bollard Posts from Hell

The one I dislike is the gates that make you do a sharp S-curve to enter the trail. It can't be to keep horses out, as they can come in another way, and I always see horse droppings on this trail. It was enough of a pain on a bike. Now that I have a trike, it's even more so.

Also, we have one paved trail here that has two swing gates close together. The reason is, the trail crosses grazing land. They didn't size both gates the same width. My trike fit through one gate (barely), but not the other. I don't ride that trail any more. Instead of gates, I think they should have used good, old-fashioned cattle guards. They work everywhere else, why not on this trail?

Oh, and twice now I have been passed by motorbikes on bike paths. The trailheads have signs that say "No motorized vehicles", but there are always those who think that rules and laws don't apply to them.

The one I dislike is the gates that make you do a sharp S-curve to enter the trail. It can't be to keep horses out, as they can come in another way, and I always see horse droppings on this trail. It was enough of a pain on a bike. Now that I have a trike, it's even more so.

Also, we have one paved trail here that has two swing gates close together. The reason is, the trail crosses grazing land. They didn't size both gates the same width. My trike fit through one gate (barely), but not the other. I don't ride that trail any more. Instead of gates, I think they should have used good, old-fashioned cattle guards. They work everywhere else, why not on this trail?
We have one of the gates you have to zigzag through. It's at a road crossing on a blind curve. They are designed to force you to dismount and walk your bike through. In our case to prevent people from riding through and into the blind curve where someone could get hit by a car. In any case the authority puts them in places where they hope to force you to walk through.

Back