Bollard Posts from Hell

It’s ugly and is attached with cable ties? Wow! That must be some fine mirror.
If you crash does the mirror penetrate the helmet and your head? Hope not!
Maybe you could show pictures? Reminds me of the reasons hood ornaments were removed from cars.
You can take a look at it on Amazon. It is a fine mirror, but not because of aesthetics; rather because of effectiveness. But of course you can make your own choice, just as I have done.

You can take a look at it on Amazon. It is a fine mirror, but not because of aesthetics; rather because of effectiveness. But of course you can make your own choice, just as I have done.
I was about to give this a try (and it can't look any goofier than my helmet anyway, so the aesthetics don't matter to me) but Amazon lists three versions: Original, improved version, and compact. Which do you have?

I was about to give this a try (and it can't look any goofier than my helmet anyway, so the aesthetics don't matter to me) but Amazon lists three versions: Original, improved version, and compact. Which do you have?
Sorry, I didn't even know there were 3 versions. Good luck with your choice.

While I like to think I've learned a few lessons in bollard avoidance since my crash, a few others have been less fortunate. A friend in Ca. forwarded this news story my way:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/artic...ines-light-on-danger-of-trail-traffic-device/
Unfortunately, the site you linked requires a subscription to read.

I'm not a fan of these traffic control devices either. I've never had a serious incident involving one but I did have a pannier torn off my bike once. Luckily, it didn't cause me to lose control and there was no significant damage to the pannier.

Some I encounter are closer than 38" apart though. For those, I dismount and walk the bike through. Most of the time, I ride very slowly just in case.

After a couple of well publicized deaths in Ohio, every one of those bollards were removed on rail trails here. You can still occasionally find them in front of wide foot bridges that will not support motor vehicle.

Unfortunately, the site you linked requires a subscription to read.
I didn't have a pay-wall problem, (I use an ad blocker) but comments are limited to subscribers. Just as well, as most of the comments were totally irrelevant (cyclists are not courteous) or obnoxious (cyclists need to be more careful...yada yada). Those that think they're immune to accidents are likely in for a rude awakening at some point in their life. I'll also note that several of the serious accidents chronicled over the years involving bollards happened to experienced cyclists, including the case in the linked newspaper article.

In any case, the fact that there is controversy at all regarding their placement on trails, speaks for itself. I'm not opposed to barriers to restrict vehicular traffic at intersections, but the implementation typically is ill-conceived. (More enlightened municipalities are now using collapsible bollards). On the trails where I ride, there are also gates at the intersection. Having closely separated iron bollard posts on both sides of the gate in addition seems unnecessary. It's overkill.

One minor correction I've made to avoid another bollard post close encounter is to keep the bar end mirror tucked under the handlebar. Visibility is just as good, and I'm not focused on the mirror hitting the post, which is essentially what caused my mishap in the first place.

Last edited:
I am very impressed with the EVT Safezone Bike Helmet Mirror. It doesn't vibrate, isn't easily knocked out of alignment, and has a generous size mirror. But also ugly and $40. I attached it to my Bern helmet with 3 or 4 cable ties. Amazon has them, though I found mine at my LBS.
+1 on the EVT helmet mirror. I've been using them for several seasons on all of my helmets. The multi segment shaft is very flexible and can be shaped to fit helmets with visors. It's sturdy enough so it isn't easily knocked out of alignment but will collapse in a crash. They aren't cheap at $40 but worth the price IMO.

I did have a problem with a scratched mirror on one I have. It was due to my own carelessness, not a product defect. I contacted EVT about ordering a replacement mirror and they sent me a whole new unit free of charge!

I have a tendency to just throw my helmet in the back of my truck or on a shelf when not in use. To protect the mirror, I now use these small velvet drawstring bags during transport & storage:

Another dangerous factor with these bollards is spacing and design inconsistency. Just because you easily pass through one, doesn't mean you'll clear the next. For example, these two are located about a half mile apart on a local trail:

IMG_002510a.jpg
IMG_002513a.jpg

They look the same. I clear the first with 3" clearance on each side but on the next, there is less than an inch!

IMG_002509a.jpg

From the paint scrapes on the bollards, they get hit on a regular basis.

A few miles down, you encounter these:

IMG_002515a.jpg
IMG_002517a.jpg

A much safer design here since the bollards on both are below handlebar height. The swing gate design is good because it has no edges or corners to catch on. The dark green color is difficult to see in the shade though.

Continuing on, you find this these:

IMG_002518a.JPG
IMG_002514a.jpg

This design has a low lockable swing gate below handlebar height with plenty of space between bollards. The gate backstop in the first pic is only 5' from the bollard though which forces a sharp turn immediately after passing through.

All these designs accomplish the same thing by keeping out vehicles & ATVs yet some are much safer for cyclists. It's interesting to note that all are on the same 10 mile stretch of trail. No consistency at all. I can't help but wonder who designs these things? It certainly isn't anyone with cycling experience.

Excellent pictures and post, 6z. Picture 3 looks like something that could have been on Too Stupid to Die, or Jackass! Picture 6 looks very similar to my mishap scenario, but instead of boulders to my left, I went over a cliff (or at least a very steep ledge).
All these designs accomplish the same thing by keeping out vehicles & ATVs yet some are much safer for cyclists. It's interesting to note that all are on the same 10 mile stretch of trail. No consistency at all. I can't help but wonder who designs these things? It certainly isn't anyone with cycling experience.
Amen to that!

I've been back in the saddle again for three months now, and one little lesson I try to remember, for avoiding close encounters with obstacles, is to concentrate on where I intend to go, as opposed to the spot I want to avoid. (A lesson I learned pitching baseballs as a kid. Look at the strike zone when releasing the ball, not the batter, or you'll wind up beaning the batter). This probably sounds elementary to most, but the mind tends to follow the eye, and distractions happen. With that said, I just get off and walk past these bollard posts if there's any doubt.

General rule of thumb in a boat is to not approach a dock (or other relatively solid object) any faster than you want to hit it.

It seems like that philosophy would be appropriate for restrictive objects on a bike path also.

Come on, seriously? You can't avoid hitting a easily visible and avoidable bright yellow post? What a klutz. At least that is what I told myself when I clipped a pedal on one a while ago. It was a bit of a pucker moment. Thankfully I only got a temporarily sore foot out of it but that was entirely on me. I see they have been removed from a few paths that I've ridden recently.

We went riding in Killarney National Park in Ireland today. The trail bollards located in the center of the trail at intersections are less than 10” tall and heavily scuffed and scratched. Quite difficult to see. We had to watch carefully for them and call out to riders behind. I cannot imagine how many serious accidents have been caused to bikers, joggers, walkers, et al. How very safety-stupid that Parks Department is.

Come on, seriously? You can't avoid hitting a easily visible and avoidable bright yellow post? What a klutz. At least that is what I told myself when I clipped a pedal on one a while ago. It was a bit of a pucker moment. Thankfully I only got a temporarily sore foot out of it but that was entirely on me. I see they have been removed from a few paths that I've ridden recently.
"Entirely on me". I know. I cursed myself out as I hobbled away from my bike ("you stupid f***ing idiot"). Still, the narrow distance between posts, a stop sign just in front, and a ledge to my left was a trifecta "assist".

I think the point is, it doesn't have to be this way! Transportation design engineers go out of their way to "idiot proof" highways, why not apply this same simple logic to bike paths?

I think the point is, it doesn't have to be this way! Transportation design engineers go out of their way to "idiot proof" highways, why not apply this same simple logic to bike paths?
Paths and trails are being used by more people today than ever. My home rail trail is a destination trail with a steam engine excursion train and it has gates and bollards designed in the 1950's. I've never hit one, but I have seen others hit them. These trails are ridden by tourists that ride a handful of times a year. The county solved the problem by putting tiny signs near gates telling riders to walk their bikes through🙄

What makes you think that's unpopular?

Even as a mountain bike rider, I accept my bars are wider than normal so adjust MY behaviour rather than expecting the world to change for me.

re fixed bollards - surely it makes sense to have something painful and try to change the behaviour of people going through an intersection ? If you can't stop / slow enough to avoid a stationary obstacle, what chance fo you have for a 6 yo child ?
If you are going to have those things make them high enough to see at eye level, the world is not going to change for a few prima donnas.

Bollards serve a purpose of keeping 4-wheeled vehicles off paths, but can be very nasty for bikers — and even distracted walkers/joggers.

We had a nasty accident in a group ride This past winter in AZ. A “bunch” of riders were riding abreast as they crossed a road to continue the trail on the other side. The leaders of the bunch all saw the bollard and split around it. A rider following did not see it and wrapped herself all the way around the bollard after landing directly on her head. No broken bones but 3+ weeks of recovery after a week of concussion after-effects.

I notified the City Parks & Rec Safety Dept. in case they kept statistics of safety hazards. They expressed their concern and elevated the issue. I hope to get back on that trail next winter to check for any changes.

Now all of us are extremely cautious for ourselves and others whenever we encounter those unyielding soldiers.
It did its job, would you like to met an ATV going 40 mph? you can bet your"sweet bippey" sooner or later if the trail wasn't regulated there would be some hooligans trying to beat the system.

It did its job, would you like to met an ATV going 40 mph? you can bet your"sweet bippey" sooner or later if the trail wasn't regulated there would be some hooligans trying to beat the system.
There isn't a binary choice of bollard posts or ATV's on trails. You can keep ATV's or any big ass vehicle off trails without narrow poles sticking out of the ground. Trail gates, for example, work well, and are far more conspicuous.

There isn't a binary choice of bollard posts or ATV's on trails. You can keep ATV's or any big ass vehicle off trails without narrow poles sticking out of the ground. Trail gates, for example, work well, and are far more conspicuous.
Thats what they use on my nearest RR TRAIL,OTH its barely enough room to get bike handlebars through, the savvy rider will get off and walk the bike through. Just happened to think any ebike on that trail is a no no, horses or acoustic bike or feet, are the ones you are having such a time about allowing "motorized " bikes through? I hooked my toe on a stinkin curb guard the the folks at Lowes so thoughtfully put in the way( wasn't even painted yellow,) cost Me lost work and surgery( Hyperextension, screwed knee up) was told I had to watch where I was going. Are the "bollards" the same deal?

Back