Boardman Hybrid e-bike

Smiffy

I thought it would be useful to post our experiences with the Boardman Hybrid hyb 8.9e bike with Fazua drive system which we bought at the start of lockdown online from Halfords. Initially because of covid-19 restrictions the bike was just handed over to us from a table set up outside the store which was fine. The bike looked good but soon after riding it became obvious that the electric assistance wasn't working. The problem was the magnet which activates the motor via the sensor was on the far side of the wheel, too far from the sensor, so no signal. This was overcome by putting it on the nearside but turned thro 90 degrees so that it didn't hit the sensor. Assistance then worked but came in pulse's rather than smooth action. This was overcome by installing the latest software update via Fazua Toolbox. Unfortunately in doing this the usb cover plate was cracked by over tightening. Halfords have promised to replace this.Then the bottom bracket developed at knocking sound which was initially improved by tightening the outer bolts to the bottom bracket shell. However the knocking soon returned and Halford's had to strip the entire assembly and tighten the internal bolts. The bike was then much better ride and assistance was improved. The drive/battery unit locking mechanism is particularly poor, the key action is very woolly so that your never quite sure if is locked. It also takes two thumbs to press the release button so that it is difficult to also hold the casing which can easily drop to the floor. You have to do this everytime you use the bike because after 8 hours the battery turns itseilf off and you have to access the button on the battery inside the unit which is so frustrating. It then becomes annoying if likes our the push switch stops working and the only way you can turn it on is by connecting the external charger. FAZUA have agreed to replace the battery foc and we await its delivery.
Hopefully this is the end of our 'problems' but watch this space. Despite all the setbacks we are overall pleased with the bike and have to say both Halfords and Fazua have been very polite and helpful, although we have spent a lot of time on phone calls, emails and repeated visits to the store. The plus points are the relative lightweight of the bike and the frame design and general look of the bike. However at approx £2K you could expect a (much) better build quality.

SMIFFY

I'm not sure if the price of the ebike matters that much. My more expensive (4000 pounds) Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3, with only 700km on it, is going back to the shop because of a ticking noise coming from the motor/crank.

I thought it would be useful to post our experiences with the Boardman Hybrid hyb 8.9e bike with Fazua drive system which we bought at the start of lockdown online from Halfords. Initially because of covid-19 restrictions the bike was just handed over to us from a table set up outside the store which was fine. The bike looked good but soon after riding it became obvious that the electric assistance wasn't working. The problem was the magnet which activates the motor via the sensor was on the far side of the wheel, too far from the sensor, so no signal. This was overcome by putting it on the nearside but turned thro 90 degrees so that it didn't hit the sensor. Assistance then worked but came in pulse's rather than smooth action. This was overcome by installing the latest software update via Fazua Toolbox. Unfortunately in doing this the usb cover plate was cracked by over tightening. Halfords have promised to replace this.Then the bottom bracket developed at knocking sound which was initially improved by tightening the outer bolts to the bottom bracket shell. However the knocking soon returned and Halford's had to strip the entire assembly and tighten the internal bolts. The bike was then much better ride and assistance was improved. The drive/battery unit locking mechanism is particularly poor, the key action is very woolly so that your never quite sure if is locked. It also takes two thumbs to press the release button so that it is difficult to also hold the casing which can easily drop to the floor. You have to do this everytime you use the bike because after 8 hours the battery turns itseilf off and you have to access the button on the battery inside the unit which is so frustrating. It then becomes annoying if likes our the push switch stops working and the only way you can turn it on is by connecting the external charger. FAZUA have agreed to replace the battery foc and we await its delivery.
Hopefully this is the end of our 'problems' but watch this space. Despite all the setbacks we are overall pleased with the bike and have to say both Halfords and Fazua have been very polite and helpful, although we have spent a lot of time on phone calls, emails and repeated visits to the store. The plus points are the relative lightweight of the bike and the frame design and general look of the bike. However at approx £2K you could expect a (much) better build quality.

SMIFFY
Very interesting SMIFFY - I have a similar issue, I have been out twice in the past week and on both occasions my power just switched off, real issue the second time as I was going up a fairly steep hill and the sudden loss of support and extra resistance almost made me fall off. I can get it back on via the remote but then it feels either that the support is pulsing or, and harder, as if the assistance becomes a resistance and it drags. The update was carried out a few months back and seemed OK. fully agree about battery removal / fitting really poor design and just not positive enough.
Bike is back at Halfords now ~ fingers crossed.

Hi Mykabyka
The power issue was resolved simply by moving the magnet so it was closer to the sensor. Halfords were unaware of this simple fix.
I have spoken on several occasions with Fazua and they agree that the locking mechanism is poor but say that is down to the bike manufacturers and I can't get a reply from Boardman. We had further issues in that not only do you have to remove the battery each day to turn it back on but then the button on the battery itself wouldn't work and the only way to restore power was to connect it to the charger. To give them their due Fazua sent a replacement battery very quickly from Germany free of charge. I understand a new battery is available from December which you don't have to remove but which you can turn on from the remote. You still have to remove to charge it. The guys at Fazua are very happy to help and you can contact them via email or direct by phone. I had to send them videos of the faulty battery via a link but they were very helpfull.
The bike seems ok at the moment after our many teething problems. Its is an expensive piece of kit and the build quality/ quality control should be much better from Boardman who are owned now by Halfords. I hope you get your bike sorted soon and get to enjoy some good rides.
We bought one so that my wife "can keep up with me" on my normal road bike and we use it regularly and have some good rides.
Good look Mike.

Mykabyka
My wife has just reminded me that the last time the bike was in Halfords they reinstalled / updated the software again and the bike was much more responsive with a real boast in acceleration in the pink mode.

Mykabyka
My wife has just reminded me that the last time the bike was in Halfords they reinstalled / updated the software again and the bike was much more responsive with a real boast in acceleration in the pink mode.
Cheers SMIFFY appreciate the update-I'll let you know how I get on.

Boardman adv8e
Same problems as indicated in Smiffy post.
Battery locking mechanism (by Abus) rubbish had to pump grease in etc i can understand people breaking the push lever!
Wheel magnet position in wrong place Halfords you couldnt make it up! I repositioned magnet 3-4 mm gap.
Bike still no assistance bottom bracket knocking contacted Fazua direct they did a complete remote diagnostic/motor check over the net.
Turns out the Cadence sensor has gone! Currently awaiting the delivery of a new Bottom bracket hope that sorts out everything!?
The bike will not be going anywhere near Halfords!

Latest update on the locking mechanism on my wife's Boardman Hybrid Hyb 8.9 is that Fazua have finally recognised that there is a problem and have produced a replacement which is 'due spring 2021'. They did initially offer to send me one direct, however as we purchased the bike through Halfords and it comes with a 2 year warranty we have decided to go via them. Halfords have indeed ordered the part(s) and we await d8elivery from Fazua. As they say watch this space, and I will let you know.

It seems like the bottom bracket problem is a recognised issue with these bikes. I got my first model just over a year ago and within the first few rides the bottom bracket started making a noise. I took it back to Halfords and they had to order a part from Europe which didn't come for ages due to Brexit and/or Covid. As it took so long they gave me a new model and after a few months using this it has started making the same noise. I spoke to someone at Halford's today and they said they would order some "stretch bolts" and sort out the problem. It sounded like this was familiar territory for them.
I've also had the problem of difficulty getting the battery out and dropping it. Probably as a result of this, the plastic parts that hold the battery in place got broken and when you turned the battery unit around you could hear something moving around inside it. This meant another trip to Halfords when they opened up the battery compartment, removed the bit of broken plastic and stuck some inner tube in the compartment to stop the battery moving around.

Whoah I would have demanded a new battery, bit of a botch job using old inner tube on a new bike. We are still waiting for a new locking mechanism but your post has reminded me to chase it up.
We had a battery fault and Fazua sent a replacement foc from Germany .

Update : Received replacement 'Locker PX' Battery release mechanism direct from Fazua today.
Easy to fit and seems to work well enough.

I have been considering buying this model of Boardman ebike, and was just about to pull the trigger on it, but now that I have read this excellent thread, I may have to have a rethink.
Can I ask those of you who have bought the bike and subsequently ran into problems; would you still buy the bike again if you could, or would you opt for an ebikemotion model, such as the Orbea Vibe, or Ribble ALe?
I’m hoping that modifications have been made to the locking mechanism to make things a little easier, and that the noise from the crank has been addressed too.
I’ve been to Halfords a few times, but there is never any stock in store, and not much information from the staff either
Thanks

STRUMMER - Yes probably would, based on price the Boardman is better value than most. My experience of FAZUA customer support has been great. I had a battery issue but thankfully the Tech' at Halfords in Cardiff was good reset the magnet and ordered a new battery. I had a clunking in the bottom bracket and advised FAZUA customer service, they sent me replacement fixing bolts + instructions. Most recent I went for a ride and when I arrived back home I could not get the battery off the bike, not the first time I had issues, previously I clean and grease the mechanism but it became a fortnightly task and still stuck sometimes. I contacted customer service again and they sent me the design mechanism + two YOU TUBE videos 1> how to remove the old lock 2>How to fit and set the new unit - ideally you need a 3mm and 4mm feeler gauge but I made to with ones I made up.

Hi Despite all our problems with the Boardman my wife is very happy with the bike. The people at Halfords and Fazua were all very good. Replacement parts came quickly direct from Germany and communication via email and phone were excellent. However it was a lot of hassle and if that winds you up then don't go there. The bike is expensive and should work straight from the day of purchase. As you will have read lots of people have had the same issues. We believe ours is now sorted but wont be too surprised if some other issue crops up. The bike rides great and copes really well even on very hilly terrain. We live in the Yorkshire Dales and often do rides of 35+ miles which uses less than 50% of the battery. Recharge time isn't a problem the only bind is having to take it off the bike to turn on after 8 hours when it goes 'to sleep' but the re engineered locking mechanism makes this easy enough. As you have doubts why not ring or email Fazua and or Halfords and ask them if these problems have been sorted. We found then both to be helpful and honest.
Smiffy

Hello! I bought a second hand boardman ehybrid that had about 1k on the clock, I've since put another 1k on the clock and cycled daily through winter. No problems so far. Yes, the battery being below the bar, and having to take it out to charge are minor binds - however I think that also means it's far, far less susceptible to water ingress. But for what it is, its perfect. I wanted a bike that I could also use as a normal bike without engine, and it does that perfectly. I also genuinely wanted 'assist' rather than 'fly to work in a rocket' levels of power. I'm not sweaty to work after a 10 mile rd largely uphill, but if I want to put some leg work in on the way home and do a bit of a work out, it feels very natural. It also feels great to ride on, very nice mix of slight sporting posture with day to day riding as well.

Thanks to Mykabyka, Smiffy and Fazuafanatic for swift and very useful v replies to my queries.
it’s reassuring to learn you would buy again, and also that the bike can get to 2k (miles?) without significant problems.
Hurrah that there is a new locking mechanism! - nice to see Boardman responding to customer concerns.

I am new to this forum and only wish I had found it before I bought my Boardman 8.9 2 years ago. I am an elderly biker and was finding my 28" Humber policeman's bike that I bought new in 1953 was getting a bit heavy up the little alps around Wimbledon and Surbiton.
Never having had gears before, I found the bike a joy to ride and eventually worked out how to open it up and switch it on without dropping the battery on my foot.
I do hope that the bike is not engineered to the 2 year warranty, as one week later the bottom bracket started clicking. Halford's free assessment told me that the chain, brake blocks, chain wheel and cassette were worn out. The latter could only be replaced if I found one myself on the web. The bike came back with a yellow light on the control.
Fazua helpline started out very helpful and asked me to check that the saddle was securuly fixed and other frivolities, when pushed they said that they were not allowed to give out technical details and referred me back to my dealer.
Halfords have now sorted out the yellow light, they must have moved the magnet; and have booked me in to look at the bottom bracket.
Can anyone tell me how to adjust and lubricate he bottom backet and do you recommend changing the brake blocks when they are still well over the minimum thickness. (0.5mm)

Gosh that's a really poor show from Halfords - pretty much the main reason I got mine was as I have a Halford's down the road and thought they'd be able to do all my servicing, but not much hope of that if they can't replace a bottom bracket!

Could you share where you got the bracket from in case it comes up? Can't help with your questions I'm afraid

Late to this post, but im on my second HYB 8.9E from Halfords in a week. First one had atrocious range and the battery was losing 10% overnight switched off. It also came from the shop with battery short circuit faults. Returned it and got a new one. The new one has the same 10% battery loss in 8 hours, and the same two error codes about short circuit.

Interestingly enough is that on both bikes, they both had the same two faults showing on the diagnosis as 15th November 2022, im guessing whilst they were being built in the fazua factory?!

Either way, extremely iffy company to say the least, and I would say dont touch fazua battery systems with a 6 foot barge pole if you can help it. Seems like they are made of junk parts not worth the scrap weight. Currently have a customer support ticket open with fazua demanding an explanation as to why my brand new bike battery with 0 miles on has been shipped with factory fault codes.

Back