BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

Hi There all. I have just taken delivery of my Alpenchallenge Amp City Ltd. So far i am really really please but have only been out for some short rides of about 15 to 20 miles. My first e bike and haven't ridden any bike for 20 years. Have a really stupid question for you. I am really struggling to find the frame number on my bike. I would like to register it obviously for the warranty but cant find it anywhere on the bike.

Many Thanks
Andy

At two places. You should have gotten a Plastic-Card with your frame number printed on and also your dealer should have mentioned it on the receipe/incvoide.
And then there is a little QR Code Sticker you should find on the inner side between battery and your bike with the number on it (you should see it when you remove your battery)

There is a FAQ by BMC:

At two places. You should have gotten a Plastic-Card with your frame number printed on and also your dealer should have mentioned it on the receipe/incvoide.
And then there is a little QR Code Sticker you should find on the inner side between battery and your bike with the number on it (you should see it when you remove your battery)

There is a FAQ by BMC:

Hi.
Many thanks for this have now found it. The retailer had put the motor serial number on the framework. I do have another question. I have noticed where the cable for the rear light comes out of the mudgaura it seems to be rubbing on the tyre. Am i missing a clip somewhere ? I have attached a picture to show the problem.
Many Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,446
Sorry to be a pain but I'm quite keen to purchase one of these bikes, is anyone able to tell me about De-restriction options for these bikes? Coming from the UK. Thank you.

Hi.
Many thanks for this have now found it. The retailer had put the motor serial number on the framework. I do have another question. I have noticed where the cable for the rear light comes out of the mudgaura it seems to be rubbing on the tyre. Am i missing a clip somewhere ? I have attached a picture to show the problem.
Many Thanks
Andy
It was the same with mine the easiest is just to put a cable tie.
Not a big problem.

Sorry to be a pain but I'm quite keen to purchase one of these bikes, is anyone able to tell me about De-restriction options for these bikes? Coming from the UK. Thank you.
Wow de-restricting a 38lb E-bike, you will be flying to Mars on that ride. Enjoy and be safe. ;)

2 Weeks in.
Has now been about 2 weeks since I got my BMC Alpenchallenge Amp City Ltd. I have only been on rides varying between 10 and 25 miles and am very impressed with the battery life. I am getting between 50 and 60 miles on a charge but have noticed that the battery tails off very quickly when on the last bar leaving me on one ride with a flat battery a few miles from home. I think the difference between eco and trail modes is very small and would like to change this. The amount of torque and assistance in turbo mode is amazing and has made any hill encountered very easy.The bike handles very well but I think I am going to change the handlebar grips as I find the ones fitted quite uncomfortable. One problem I have found is that the rear mudguard is very rattly. This is made worse by the very poor Herefordshire roads. I really need to find a solution for this as the noise is very bad when going over rough surfaces. I really don't want to remove it but unless I find a solution I might have to. Overall very very pleased. Just need to sort this rattle out.

Cheers
Andy

2 Weeks in.
Has now been about 2 weeks since I got my BMC Alpenchallenge Amp City Ltd. I have only been on rides varying between 10 and 25 miles and am very impressed with the battery life. I am getting between 50 and 60 miles on a charge but have noticed that the battery tails off very quickly when on the last bar leaving me on one ride with a flat battery a few miles from home. I think the difference between eco and trail modes is very small and would like to change this. The amount of torque and assistance in turbo mode is amazing and has made any hill encountered very easy.The bike handles very well but I think I am going to change the handlebar grips as I find the ones fitted quite uncomfortable. One problem I have found is that the rear mudguard is very rattly. This is made worse by the very poor Herefordshire roads. I really need to find a solution for this as the noise is very bad when going over rough surfaces. I really don't want to remove it but unless I find a solution I might have to. Overall very very pleased. Just need to sort this rattle out.

Cheers
Andy
Well I have checked all the nuts and bolts and they are all tight but rear mudguard still rattle when going over bumps. I am really disappointed by this as the roads aren't great around here. If anyone has the installation instructions for these mudguard I would be appreciative for a link just to ensure they have been installed correctly. Failing this I am open to suggestions on a way to improve this or stop it completely without removing them.

Many Thanks
Andy

Maybe of interest for these who use their AMP with a Kickstand:

I was contacted by my dealer that BMC is recalling the kickstand adapter for the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP. Owners should bring their bikes to the shop to replace the adapter by a reinforced part starting December 2019 (My dealer in Switzerland already had the part in stock and installed it yesterday on my AMP City One). For owners who already have damaged carbon frames because the part wasn't strong enough BMC offers a replacement frame with reinforced parts.

I've attached the official notice I got from my dealer. The Document is in German.

Attachments

• AMP Kickstand.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,162
FYI after a month of having installed the new part, the kickstand got loose (stripped screw holes in frame). My dealer now talks to BMC to get a new bike for me with the improved frame.

Hi there -
still everybody happy with your Alpenchallenge? What your opinion compared to a Cannondale Neo?
which light do you use on your Alpenchallenge?
I am torn between either a Supernova Mini 2, or M99mini, or Lupine

Hi there -
still everybody happy with your Alpenchallenge? What your opinion compared to a Cannondale Neo?
which light do you use on your Alpenchallenge?
I am torn between either a Supernova Mini 2, or M99mini, or Lupine

Hi, having this Bike (Cross LTD) since August 2018, I'm still very happy with it (See my posts on this thread for pics, also for the light (supernova M99mini)

I just ordered the Cross Ltd. and hope to receive it next week. Thank you for all the information here. I hope to post some experience here soon as well.
I plan to mount the Evo Fly, and make the tires tubeless. Not sure yet if I will mount a kick stand. I would like the comfort but than I do not want to make a light bike heavy.
Probably will put a Lupine light on it. Or the Supernova mini....those with the city-version: How do you like the Supernova mini light?

I just ordered the Cross Ltd. and hope to receive it next week. Thank you for all the information here. I hope to post some experience here soon as well.
I plan to mount the Evo Fly, and make the tires tubeless. Not sure yet if I will mount a kick stand. I would like the comfort but than I do not want to make a light bike heavy.
Probably will put a Lupine light on it. Or the Supernova mini....those with the city-version: How do you like the Supernova mini light?

Nice. I have the m99 pro mini, its great for me. and it mounts perfectly with the kit from BMC.

I would never have a stand 😅😂 but that is my personal preference.

I picked up my Alpenchallenge yesterday evening and did my first 20km to work this morning. I really like the handling, so far I also feel comfortable with the geometry (I was torn between M and L size, I am 1,87m and decided for L).
The noise of the steps motor at 25kmh is a bit louder than I had hoped for, but its ok. I will post some images later.
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

The acceleration and going uphill as well as handling you really feel the weight difference compared to my other much heavier pedelec. Its really fun to ride the Alpenchallenge. I also like the geometry, sporty but still comfortable. This is a fun bike.

The acceleration and going uphill as well as handling you really feel the weight difference compared to my other much heavier pedelec. Its really fun to ride the Alpenchallenge. I also like the geometry, sporty but still comfortable. This is a fun bike.
This would be great bike to test ride side by side with a heavier E-bike. The fact that you are carrying so much less weight has to be a big plus for riding hills, etc. Must be amazing with the E8000 motor engaged. Sounds like a winner indeed! ;)

Due to the light weight I do indeed go more often slightly over the 25km/h limit. However with my limited/low training level it is more in the 26-29 km/h range, and also only if the wind comes from right direction or there is street where it "is rolling" very well or slight downhill. Overall the average speed is not much faster on my track. When I ride to work it is maybe 48 instead of 51 minutes. But I must say it feels more like riding a bike compared to my heavier pedelec which feels a little more like a "moped", so I am more motivated to go over the 25.

Due to the light weight I do indeed go more often slightly over the 25km/h limit.

I claim, it's not the weight but the smooth fade out of the motor - and the resistance-less pedaling above 25km/h. In comparison, it's really tough to exceed 45 km/h with a Stromer, as the wind resistance is tremendous.

I assume it is a combination of Motortype, weight, wheels, tires, derailleurs vs hub gears, seat position etc.

Back