Blood Thinners and Biking

And the hpMTB group doesn't want us on their trails, disturbing "the earth". I have the bruising issues also, age , humeria, Crohn's. Do they really think I'm going to take advantage of all that "cheater power", close the door and highside them, while riding a trail with my hair on 🔥? Strange Days

I take a blood thinner I think it's called Metoprolol which seems to really work as if I get even a scratch I bleed profusely. I took aspirin for years but after a bad stroke ( I've had several ) they put me on this drug. I was flying an RC plane one day at our club airfield and my plane flew into me and really chewed my leg up, I was alone and nearly bleed to death, it was scary. Having said that I'm 80 and still ride bikes, run, lift weights etc with no ill effects.

This is a great thread! I too am on blood thinners for my stents. Thinned out my blood-oil from a molasses thick 20w50 weight/grade to something more like 0w30! 🤪

Below are some pics I took during a ride on the towpaths. I guess my Beagle pup scratched my arm unknown to me and the scab let go while pedaling on the trail. Got to thinking I might have looked as like an extra in some Hollywood slasher movie. More concerned about getting the blood stains out of my fancy Endura Humvee II knicker pants, but it worked out just fine.

The most important thing for an ebiker on blood thinners is to consult their cardiologist about their riding intentions. Of course, any Mountain Dew style jumping 10 feet off a sharp granite rock face might be discouraged; but I have to tell you that I admire each and every one of you who posted your own personal trials and tribulations with illness and medication and older age. Never go quietly into that night; live life to the fullest, get out and enjoy riding our ebikes. Each day granted us is a blessing!

Attachments

• 100_3998.JPG
    100_3998.JPG
    928.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_4031.JPG
    100_4031.JPG
    531.6 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_3884.JPG
    100_3884.JPG
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_3985.JPG
    100_3985.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_4051.JPG
    100_4051.JPG
    550 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_4052.JPG
    100_4052.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_3892.JPG
    100_3892.JPG
    577.1 KB · Views: 320
Those pictures look like my arms and hands did when I worked in the woods. I'd go check out units and then arrive on the log landing and the crew would point out that I was bleeding. I seldom felt or knew what I'd scraped on, there was so much stuff out there to get you. And I wasn't on blood thinners. I shudder at the carnage had I been on them. Bruises and scrapes were a normal part of work for me. Now that I am retired, it seems odd not to have bruises on my legs. That's probably a good thing!

Keep riding!

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Pedal like hell in the other direction"

Damn, I like that Haibike, Mike!

Dave, many thanks! Long before this Haibike, even before getting the Fatboy fatbike, I was thiiis close in getting the Trek XM 700, which I believe you have or had, at one time.

It reminded me so much like my Trek Soho DLX commuter belt drive bicycle. But I thought a bit more into it, realizing the skinny tires of the XM would not cut it off road.

After reading/viewing Court's review of the Felt Outfitter, Haibike FatSix and Full FatSix, I was convinced this is the way to go. Most fun I've had of all my bikes, the fatty with Yamaha e-drive. :)

I really liked that bike, but you’re right... the tires limited what it could comfortably do, and it was a little too city oriented after my riding preferences sort of evolved. Would have been nice to keep it and have two flavors, but not practical.

I'm finding out in a few months if I'll be on lifelong thinners due to having had two PE's in as many years. I'll be devastated if I do because it means selling up my bikes and doing something else.

I'm finding out in a few months if I'll be on lifelong thinners due to having had two PE's in as many years. I'll be devastated if I do because it means selling up my bikes and doing something else.
I wore more protective clothing. Gloves, helmet, arms and legs covered. PE’s we’re terrifying. But at 70y dirt nap is just around the corner. So I go for it, F the gear. Helmet gloves and sturdy footwear.

Best of luck to all of us riding down the age path! Tons of fun but some crappy struggles at times!
Keep doing new stuff but just be a bit more cautious…RIDE ON! 😎👍
DF799F22-4230-43D9-89C2-A993D2BFB8D9.jpeg

I wore more protective clothing. Gloves, helmet, arms and legs covered. PE’s we’re terrifying. But at 70y dirt nap is just around the corner. So I go for it, F the gear. Helmet gloves and sturdy footwear.
Yeah, I'm only 47 so I have a few more years in me yet - I hope.

I'm 72 with Afib and I bruise easily. It's just the way it is. Won't stop me from riding but will stop me from riding stupid and taking silly chances with speed on trails.

A friend of mine had a heart malfunction. She was put on blood thinners after a clot occurred. She is now thinking she can't go bike riding. Is anybody on here taking blood thinner medication? How do you handle the risk of bruises and such? You can pm me if you wish. I'd like to be helpful as we've had lots of fun riding around on roads in the woods.
I take my chances and ride (though more tame than prior to my angioplasty). A new bruise or gash on the leg is a new badge. :)

As for your friend, if the doc says it's okay, then she should go for it.

It's been my experience that the shins take the most banging (outside of an accident, at least), so maybe some G-Form knee/shin guards or a less expensive option if budget is more of a concern.

There's various brands of soccer shin guards that might also help, especially if she's doing more casual riding and doesn't want to "suit up" like a downhill pro every time she goes out for a ride. :)

Shin guards. If those are to protect shins when your feet slip/slide off the pedals I have noticed a difference by changing pedals.

My Sondors MXS came with pedals that had little raised posts that were smooth and when coasting downhill on fire roads or trails my feet would seem to slide off the pedals continuously from the bumpy jarring. After purchasing a set of pedals that use Allen headed set screws as the posts my feet almost never slide of the pedals.

Surprisingly those rough screws don't seem to be hard on my hiking boots that I wear when riding either. Crank Brothers has them in their "Stamp" lineup.

I got off blood thinners last year after five years of taking them. I only ride paved roads and trails but had a car knock me off my bike and launch me over the handlebars. This was while I was still on blood thinners. I landed on my air bag (belly) which helped. I managed the cuts just fine with my first aid supplies. The next day my belly was one large purple bruise.
Keep riding everyone. Just be smart about it.

I'm on Xarelto for life due to 2 PEs and I'm still riding - slowly and carefully, but I'm still riding 😉. In fact, both my bikes were purchased some time after I was already on the medication. Check with your doctor before you give up...

I'm on Eliquis due to a DVT episode. The exercise benefit of riding cannot be overstated but I will be heading over to CVS to check out some first aid supplies to carry.

Was just going to say, carry a first aid kit with clotting powder, and some sort of identification that you're on a blood thinner - I have mine on the lock screen of my phone.

Fortunately, modern thinners are quick-acting and out of the system in 24 hours; they transfuse you in the meantime (so include blood type in ID!).

Last edited:
Great thread. Been on blood thinners for about 10 years off and on, I'm a lifer since my second massive DVT.

During the first go-round, my doctor banned me from everything. Then, her brother died, and she changed her thinking, just told me to be more careful-- no skiing on weekends or at night, no big waves on the body board. On the bike, I avoid sustained risk-- I'll still go north of 35 MPH if conditions are right and I'm feeling sharp-- but only briefly. I'll ride intermediate/advanced trails, but I'm not going that fast-- like, zero loss of traction allowed, no skidding, no wheel locking.

I still skied double blacks locally and single blacks on larger mountains until I stopped in 2019. My doctor even signed off on two scuba dives in 2017 limited to... was it 30 feet or 40? I can't remember now.

Obviously, nothing I'm saying should be construed as medical advice, but I prefer Warfarin to the modern blood thinners because it's more easily reversible and because your INR gets checked regularly. Hard to believe that Xaltero, Praxada and Eliquis really do not need monitoring-- one dose fits all? How could that possibly be? It seems like my friends on newer blood thinners bruise more easily than I do, but that's obviously purely anecdotal.

Okay, here are some warfarin sports stories for your general amusement:

One of my most amusing situations was skiing Mammoth with one of my buddies in 2017-- he knows I get terrible migraines, and after skiing Cornice three times and Scotty's once-- and I was not going slow either-- he asked me how I was doing. I said fine, except for hallucinating an enormous green blob in the center of my field of vision. He suggested we descend 1,500 or so and ski at lower altitude, which was fine for two runs, then he asks me, "How's the green blob?" I'm like, "Mmm, I'd have to say it's bigger. Greener." He says, "We're going down-- right now-- and slowly. I'll follow you."

The migraine came shortly after that. Two Norco didn't touch it. Neither did two more four hours later. After eight hours and six Norco, we decide I should go to the ER. They get me set up with 02 and MORE narcotics, give me a brain scan, everything checks out, I'm feeling much better...

Feeling really guilty, I tell them I cut back-- just slightly-- on my Warfarin to keep my INR barely on the edge of therapeutic-- it's supposed to be between 2 and 3, and I get tested before anything too extreme, so I know how to shave it right to 2.0.

They said, "Yeah, you really shouldn't do that. However, you're like the sixth guy we've treated this season who made that confession. They all lived. Just don't skip it completely."

A guy T-boned me once in the CRX-- total doofus move, I slammed my head against the window, it was bleeding when I got out of the car. He was such a dork I wanted to slug him-- so, remembering the AA principle of contrary action, I HUGGED him instead: "I'm so glad neither of us got killed!" That bled a bit, got a brain scan, I was fine.

My little terrier woke up having a seizure and bit me in the face-- THAT scared me, bled like CRAZY, I thought, "Crap, I actually could bleed out before the ambulance arrives." The dog is in a post-ictal freak out, like, "What did I do?! I'm the worst dog ever! Give me the needle, send me back to the pound, I deserve it!" By the time I pick up the phone, I'm realizing, "Huh. Maybe I can drive to the ER." Which I did.

I really wouldn't want to dive at all, ski anything harder than a small mountain single black, or body board waves bigger than 2 feet with an INR of 2.9. If I'm pushing it, I'll pay for an extra test, and try to go when I'm in the low 2s. eMTB, I don't worry that much. Never fell much on a regular bike, never fell at all in the last 30 years or so, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Back