BionX D series -- first impressions

EbikeR2

BionX D 500DV, 48V 11.6 Ah/ 555 Wh

In one word: beast! The distance I can get on this thing -- even when using level 4 (full) pedal assist and throttle is incredible. I go on 40-50km trips and still have over half the battery left -- but I do use Regen on downhill, but I would do that even if it did not help as it helps me control my speed/save brake pads. At first I was stingy using full assist/throttle thinking I would drain the battery but as I tested it and did it more and more I realized how much this beast could take in terms of range.

Incredible motor -- so so quiet, and just raring to go -- too bad about the controller, I'm sure it would do much higher speeds with ease. Throttle goes to 30kmph and pedaling so far I have gone 40km on flat road without motor cut off -- not sure how high I can go there with motor still helping.

All in all -- amazing motor, very happy with the purchase (I purchased OEM on 2015 OHM XU 700-165)

This motor is a beast!
I'm curious, how much rider/cargo weight do you place on the bike? I think that the weight my bike is carrying probably reduces battery time.
My battery discharges even when I don't use it for a few days. Do they all do that?

This motor is a beast!
I'm curious, how much rider/cargo weight do you place on the bike? I think that the weight my bike is carrying probably reduces battery time.
My battery discharges even when I don't use it for a few days. Do they all do that?
Haven't noticed any discharge in battery -- I had it full 2 days ago, haven't used it, and still at full. I imagine some discharge is normal, but shouldn't really be noticeable afte 48 hrs. If you hear any different let me know. As for weight, bike is 46 lbs, riders in family range from 140-180 lbs, and pannier I sometimes have maybe 20lbs on and so far battery has been very solid.

I am questioning the range I am getting with my brand new OHM bike D-500. I have a long commute, 28 km, with some steep and long hills. I have an average speed of 30 km/h with level 2, I weight 175 lbs, with 2 panniers (15 lbs total). Temperature mostly around 7 to 12 Celsius. Tires well inflated.When I arrive at destination, I figure that I have not more that 5 to 7 km left. Is a range of 35 to 40 km is normal with my type of bike and riding? I charge my battery at work, coming back is a little easier, I have a little more juice left in the battery. Any comments?

@Michel have you discussed this with OHM? And do you use regen on the downhill side of those hills? Based on the OHM threads posted here at EBR that does sound less than I would expect. But OHM has a three-year warranty for the D-500, so I suggest you following up with them. Good luck! And let us know what you learn. I too am considering an OHM Urban with the D-500.

I am questioning the range I am getting with my brand new OHM bike D-500. I have a long commute, 28 km, with some steep and long hills. I have an average speed of 30 km/h with level 2, I weight 175 lbs, with 2 panniers (15 lbs total). Temperature mostly around 7 to 12 Celsius. Tires well inflated.When I arrive at destination, I figure that I have not more that 5 to 7 km left. Is a range of 35 to 40 km is normal with my type of bike and riding? I charge my battery at work, coming back is a little easier, I have a little more juice left in the battery. Any comments?
That does seem like the performance might be low. @Ann M. has worked with and ridden BionX for a long time, she might have some words of wisdom.

@Michel have you discussed this with OHM? And do you use regen on the downhill side of those hills? Based on the OHM threads posted here at EBR that does sound less than I would expect. But OHM has a three-year warranty for the D-500, so I suggest you following up with them. Good luck! And let us know what you learn. I too am considering an OHM Urban with the D-500.
Will get in touch with OHM and Bionx

@Michael, give the bike a few charge cycles before determining realistic range. We found that mileage increased a little bit after several full charge cycles, not just top off charges. Your long uphill climbs and step hills will take a chunk of the battery power; however, it's still a good idea to chat with Michael DeVisser, the bike's primary creator for some insight. Only other thought would be to check your brakes for dragging since that drag would also eat at the bike's range.

Well, Friday the range was much better, I used level 3 on hills not level 4, more regen going downhill,outside was 20C and not 5C. So I am still learning.
My bike is awesome, very comfortable.

Actually my commute is 30.3 km according to Google Maps. Total elavation in meter is 125 meters (4 hills). The way back is downhill.
I will make further comments this week going uphill and downhill. The weather here will be warmer.

One thing I can say, my average speed is 30 km/hr with two panniers and a load. This is obviously excellent and I arrive at work much less sweaty .

I use MapMyRide. This early morning, Temp was 14 Celsius. My commute is exactly 29.8 km, my average speed was 30 km/h. I used level 2 most of the time, used level 3 for hills, used very sparingly level 4. I used regen as much as possible. Total positive elevation of my commute is 335 meters.

At the end I figure that I have an another 10 km left, maybe mire. It depends of the terrain, rider's weight, wind, speed, hills, temperature and load. According to OHM, the normal range at level 2 should be between 40 and 70. So I think now my range is what I should expect.

So I have been commuting to work, 30 km one way. I have 2 paniers, 4 hills with a total elevation of 335 meters, I used level 2 all the way, level 3 for the hilly part. My biking time is 51 min, average speed is 35 km/hr. I figure that I have at the most 10 km left for the battery after one way commuting. If I go slower with no assistance or level 1, my range would be much greater, but my goal is to arrive at work quickly pedaling strong. .

I am very satisfied with my OHM urban XU- 700-160. My bike is fast, very silent, confortable (seat post suspension is great). I cannot be happier.

Awesome info, @Michael; thanks for the detail on your rides. Now if you would just add a cool pic of your OHM bike or where you ride (or both :D)

Hi,
I´m from Germany, so i hope you will excuse my bad english....:oops:
Since 2008 I´ve been owning different BionX-kits so I´ve gathered some experiences with these systems.
Currently I have two D-series-kits and one P-series-kit.
Regarding the range of the battery i´d like to add that when the last bar on the display dissapears it does not mean that the battery is really empty.
There is still left a lot of energy in the battery that can be consumed. When the last bar on the display dissapears my batteries still have a voltage of about 45.5 V (= 3.5V per cell). That means, that there are at least 3V (down to 3.2V per cell) left to be consumed with nearly full Power. The battery itself doesn´t turn off before approximatly 39V (= about 3.0V per cell). Between 42V and 39V you will notice that the battery/bms will reduce power. So if you practice this you don´t have to fear that you could damage the battery because the battery management system (bms) works well and will prevent the battery from getting damaged.
If you enter the code 3772 on the console (I´d like to think that the bike has the G2-console) the last three digits will display the battery voltage.

Last edited:
Well, you can calculate it yourself. Take the range you achieve until the last bar dissapears (53.4 to 45.5V = circa 8V), devide it by 8, so you then get the range per 1V. Then you multiply it with 2 or 3 and you finally get the approximate range that you can achieve with the 2-3V until the bms slowly reduces the power.
For example: 60 km : 8 = 7.5 km (per Volt) x 2-3 (V) = you can ride circa 15-22 km until the battery is (almost) empty.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Awesome info, @Michael; thanks for the detail on your rides. Now if you would just add a cool pic of your OHM bike or where you ride (or both :D)

Back