Biktrix Juggernaut Classic HD arrival and build

fillerupmac

So Santa's Big Brown Sleigh arrived yesterday, and the driver drug to the door of our computer shop a big cardboard box from Biktrix, with one end open and the front struts dangling in air.
Box2.jpg

OH NO, I think to myself - this box looks like it was drug behind the truck the last mile or so!! We opened the box, and started dragging parts out - seat loosely connected to post, front wheel, extra battery, pedals, 2 chargers...

Did not want to try to lift the bike out of the box, so came up with a nifty solution - we carefully cut one end off the box, grabbed the front of the bike, and ROLLED the bike out of the box!
box3.jpg

Even though the box looked like crap, we could NOT find a scratch, ding, bang, NOTHING - the bike arrived in perfect condition!! There were about 5 stops/transfers along the way, according to the detailed tracking information.

Assembly:
If you want to waste 5 minutes, goto to the Biktrix website and watch their assembly video for the Juggernaut series. Or... read on for my take.

For starters - check your battery(ies). One was already on the bike - 4 bars, good enough for first rides. Second battery only two bars, better get that one on a charger right away! Comment on the charger: This one comes with one of those small fans, which DOES keep the charger cool, but Colorado has a dry and dusty climate - which is hard on the small fans. We'll see how long they last!

Assembly is pretty straight forward - IF YOU ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE! There are only a couple parts to assemble.

The bike will stand by itself, supported by the front struts, and rear wheels
Start by carefully removing all the foam wrap - some is just taped, some is actually tie wrapped. As you remove each piece, inspect the bike along the way - loose screws, bolts, scratches, dings, etc.

Next, I installed the pedals. Note that the pedals are each threaded different!! The way I remember is that the TOP of the thread always turns towards the FRONT of the bike!! That means the pedal on the right side of the bike (the one your right foot will use unless you somehow can face backwards) will screw in/on CLOCKWISE, or regular fashion. The left pedal will screw in/on BACKWARDS, or COUNTER-CLOCKWISE . Turn the top of the thread on the left pedal towards the FRONT of the bike.

Next we installed the handlebar. This will require removing the 4 screws that attach the stem CAP to the end of the stem. Mount the handlebar, reattach the cap using the same 4 screws. I did not worry about adjustment of the handlebar at this point that comes later. I just tightened the four screws enough that the handlebar would not slip or turn.

BY THE WAY - many of these screws have HEX HEADS on them - you do have a set of Allen Wrenches lying around, YES?? I did not find a tool kit, although my first two ebikes (including one from Biktrix) came WITH tool kits. First I was told NO TOOL KIT, then I was told they would send one along with the FRONT LIGHT, that I also could not find in the box.

Now for the front wheel - we decided this would be easier if we turned the bike upside down. We carefully laid the bike down on its side, then carefully stood the bike up on the handlebar, making sure that the LCD controller was not in the way, and rear wheel. So far so good!!

Got the front wheel. Looked for the quick release front axle - COULDN"T FIND IT!! Searched everywhere, back through the big box, twice, through all the foam wrap, maybe taped to the bike? - NO. I'm chatting with Biktrix at this time, and telling them I can't find it anywhere, and she says to look in the charger boxes, they sometimes are in there. I had already looked in them at least once, thinking the axle probably was too big for those chargers, but I looked again, more carefully this time, and VOILA!! THERE IT WAS!! My panic - thinking I would not be riding today, vanished! No problem to mount the wheel - just be careful guiding the brake rotor into the slot in the brake. There are springs on the axle. Note how they are oriented, you'll remove the nut on one end, and one spring, in order to thread the axle through the hub of the front wheel. Mount the wheel. Adjust the quick release so it's comfortably tight. You DO NOT EVER WANT the front wheel to suddenly dislodge - bad things will commence!!

Now with wheels, and a kick stand, you can stand the bike up, attach the seat, adjust for height and level, and adjust the handlebars and you are pretty much ready to go!

Stay tuned for my thoughts on first rides! (Hint - WOWWW!!!)

Al Schlafli

Very nice! looking forward to getting one of these too. Especially in the Silver/Orange scheme!

Happy to hear it finally came and no issues upon unboxing. Thanks so much for your tips on assembly -- it's very helpful!

I didn't want Black, because, everyone has black. Now that silver... it looks great, and already I have had great comments on that color!

I was so tempted to get silver. But I did not want to draw too much attention to it being in a large metro area. THe less attention the better for a $3k investment. I agree though, the Silver looks fantastic.

Got the front wheel. Looked for the quick release front axle - COULDN"T FIND IT!! i

Just curious.. Which wheels did you get? Mine did not come with quick release.

When I am not riding, the bike is either inside our computer store, or inside my house. Yeah, the silver definitely stands out!

I got their "standard" for the HD - the 4.8 X 26. I ride everything from pavement to gravel (mostly decomposed granite) to rough and tumble FWD roads, that can be more rock than road! I have nicknamed the bike my "tank" thanks to the look of the tires. I was told, during my search for the quick release axle, that the small frame HD did not come with quick release axles. I think the girl that handles the chat sessions might be fairly new. I get "told" things that get corrected shortly after...

Compared to the Rad Rover, a fat tire ebike that I had for a year, the fatter tires on the HD seem to have a better ride. But I don't know if that's the tread, tire size, inflation, or possibly even the geometry of the bike itself. Or all four together.

I think many would agree with me that Biktrix could definitely improve their website! I'd like to see more timely and correct info, along with MUCH better specs. I understand this could be tough, because specs are always changing, but the web pages could be designed with that in mind...

Al Schlafli

Glad your enjoying the bike. Biktrix's website has been an issue for some time and has been brought up before. Complete and accurate specs along with having the photos match the product page would be a step in the right direction.

When I am not riding, the bike is either inside our computer store, or inside my house. Yeah, the silver definitely stands out!

I got their "standard" for the HD - the 4.8 X 26. I ride everything from pavement to gravel (mostly decomposed granite) to rough and tumble FWD roads, that can be more rock than road! I have nicknamed the bike my "tank" thanks to the look of the tires. I was told, during my search for the quick release axle, that the small frame HD did not come with quick release axles. I think the girl that handles the chat sessions might be fairly new. I get "told" things that get corrected shortly after...

Compared to the Rad Rover, a fat tire ebike that I had for a year, the fatter tires on the HD seem to have a better ride. But I don't know if that's the tread, tire size, inflation, or possibly even the geometry of the bike itself. Or all four together.

I think many would agree with me that Biktrix could definitely improve their website! I'd like to see more timely and correct info, along with MUCH better specs. I understand this could be tough, because specs are always changing, but the web pages could be designed with that in mind...

Al Schlafli
So I ordered a small. Website says you can’t order 4.8 tires? I would actually like a studded pair of the widest width for my winters in crested Butte Colorado. Also do they allow quick release?

Back