Bikes and pricing expectations - the initial shock

mams99

I was just thinking on big purchases. Just recently, I bought a new lap top. It was a PAINFUL process. Yet, I use it every day for about 7-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. I was balking at spending a grand on something I use all the time as I had been using a chromebook I thought was good enough for the last two years and cost $200. VERY QUICKLY (and I'm still learning) that the difference is HUGE and for something I'll use all the time, shouldn't I invest money in something that works in MORE ways for me than a cheap one will, if I have the money for it (and work paid for half)?

I think same goes for bikes. I THINK for most people, I think we think of a thing we take out a couple times a year. Otherwise it sits in the garage. Spending $400-$500 on a decent bike is adequate. But is it?

I had a $500 traditional bike in my garage for 5 years. I rode it 2-3 times for 1-2 miles. Hills are just a bummer and who wants to hop off and walk a bike? So, I would hop in the $23,000 car that requires gas, etc. to run errands, etc.

Then I bought the electric cargo bike (a very expensive one, but it does everything I need it/want it to do) and I've taken it out for even LONG rides and leave the car at home. I feel better, I enjoy it. I love combining chores with pleasure! and while it cost a lot of money, if I USE it, then isn't it better than having it sit in the garage with best intentions?

And now I just ordered a second bike to keep at work. I didn't spend a ton on it in regards to Ebikes ($1000) but if I leave my office and get outside and ride, clearing my head, etc, isn't that better?

And why do we expect to pay so little? I am no longer shocked at $1000 - $2000 for a bike. Initially? I couldn't even imagine it! Now I'm thinking - $500 unused is $500 wasted. $1000 used is $1000 well spent.

Now, I can hardly ever probably explain in my head the expense of the nearly $4000 Perego Stretch, but if I am wanting to combine bike with chores or an passenger an electric cargo bike was a necessity. And I have no regrets. I would get rid of the car if I didn't have a 21 mile commute!

But we/I haven't made that mental hurdle of bikes being faily inexpensive! Times are changing!

I'm with you -- my "old" bike (last ride was probably 13 - 15 years ago) -- I *THINK* it may still be in my storage unit, but honestly I don't even remember at this point; maybe I put it in a yard-sale years ago and simply forgot...
But, I can't imagine I ever accumulated more than than 150 miles on that bike, in total, and that's a generous guess... more often than not (purely as a casual rider) it WASN'T fun; it was often just harder work than I was interested in (and I was 15 years younger!) So relatively quickly, you find yourself no longer even entertaining the idea of a leisurely ride on a nice day, or anywhere in your free time, because well, it hurts/its sweaty/its not fun... and then suddenly, 10 years fly by with the bike unridden...)

My ebike is pedal-assist only, so it isn't like I gave up on the concept of pedaling as physical effort -- I do actually want some exercise out of this! But when I need my pedaling to be amplified 'magically' in order to tackle an incline (the kind which I'd have given up on with the old bike) ... I have that assistance -- and so I push past that incline with a smile (and some actual leg work) and continue biking further than I ever would have on the old bike... And for flats or moderate terrain, I stay in a low-to-no assist level... I clocked 100 miles in the first 23 days, and intend to start biking to work in the next week... Within another week or so, I will exceed the cumulative total of my entire life's biking distance!

So yeah, I view the cost of this bike and the requisite accessories as money well spent; I wanted this bike to change my lifestyle, but I'm a creature of comfort for better or worse (well, for worse!) and going this route proved just the right combination of ingredients (new technology, a beautiful bike design, and "enjoyable" exercise.)

Besides, as a simple cost-per-mile (based only on purchase price) -- after 11 years, my 2007 Prius is sitting at about 35 cents per mile averaged cost -- if all goes according to plan, the bike could hit that same level in 3-5 years, if not noticeably sooner (I'm assuming the bike will make me want to ride more; and in riding more, I'll gradually be able to ride more/further, thus riding... well, more and more! Bring on the infinite feedback loop!)

This is it exactly. The bike is for fitness, but fitness I can manage. I live in a valley next to a lake in the city. To get out of my neighborhood means an all uphill ride. I will never, ever forget my huge disappointment about 5 years ago when I was very fit - doing hard exercise 5 days a week, and I had to get off my bike to walk it up the rest of the hill. Now, it was a heavy bike, but it was an expensive one. I traded it in for a street bike and THEN I on the lowest gear of a bazillion, I could get out of my neighborhood with SUPER weak legs and burning lungs. What fun is that?

Now, I ride the Pedego Stretch and I always pedal and use as little assist as possible, but it is now fun! My legs feel heavy after a ride, but I don't feel pained. TO me that is perfection.

Will add since I'm a full time employee with another small, small part-time job and I co-homeschool my 12 year old with my husband, finding time to exercise is a challenge, but if I can combine it with a grocery store run, or grabbing pizza for dinner, I get to exercise, be outside, and get some alone time too.

E-biking.jpg

E-bikes are a real game changer. I am glad you are enjoying it and seeing the value.

Anyone who uses it regularly will immediately see the value and benefits. I guess, then price of an E-bike becomes much less intimidating. I also think there is a big market for well-built, well supported E-bike for $2K.

The amount of money we have spent on my father's stroke treatment could have bought me 50 of the most expensive E-bikes on the market.

I know what you mean. We are looking to buy my grandson, 8 years old, a mountain bike that costs $500, with disc brakes and front suspension. At first you think $500!! In 1989 I spent $125, on his dad's bike, he was 9 years old. My son rode his bike hard and so will my grandson. If you use it the cost is worth it.

I cannot stand to buy something and not use it!!

We are looking to buy my grandson, 8 years old, a mountain bike that costs $500, with disc brakes and front suspension.

In all honesty, unless he is a already a avid cyclist, it is difficult to justify spending so much on an eight-year-old, at least in my mind. The primary reason being that he will outgrow it very quickly. You can buy new mountain bikes in an appropriate size for $250-350 that are not junk like the bikes at Walmart. Used is another option. As someone who refurbishes bikes for a non-profit co-op, I of course advocate for used whenever possible.

It has 24" wheels he rides with his dad a sister pretty much every day. This is what their family does, ride bikes. The bike will still be worth something when he out grows it. You cannot find a used small bike with disc brakes in our area. We stress being able to stop more than going fast. Each to their own in spending and selection of purchases.

I was just thinking on big purchases. Just recently, I bought a new lap top. It was a PAINFUL process. Yet, I use it every day for about 7-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. I was balking at spending a grand on something I use all the time as I had been using a chromebook I thought was good enough for the last two years and cost $200. VERY QUICKLY (and I'm still learning) that the difference is HUGE and for something I'll use all the time, shouldn't I invest money in something that works in MORE ways for me than a cheap one will, if I have the money for it (and work paid for half)?

Most people think of a computer as not only a toy, but as a tool.

I think same goes for bikes. I THINK for most people, I think we think of a thing we take out a couple times a year. Otherwise it sits in the garage. Spending $400-$500 on a decent bike is adequate. But is it?

I've said it elsewhere, but most people think of a bike as only a toy, not a tool. For many if not most people, they are never going to make the leap of thinking of a bike as a tool. Even myself, I try to justify my purchase, saying I bought it to start commuting to work by bike again, but so far it's still a toy and not a tool...although I am also hoping it is a tool to lose some gut!

It has 24" wheels he rides with his dad a sister pretty much every day. This is what their family does, ride bikes. The bike will still be worth something when he out grows it.

Then his is an avid cyclist. Awesome.

You cannot find a used small bike with disc brakes in our area.

Make sure he tries both rim and disc brakes. I say this because you can't judge a book by its cover. While on the face of it disc brakes appear better, this is not always the case. Make sure the shop adjusts the levers so he can reach them too.

In all honesty, unless he is a already a avid cyclist, it is difficult to justify spending so much on an eight-year-old, at least in my mind. The primary reason being that he will outgrow it very quickly. You can buy new mountain bikes in an appropriate size for $250-350 that are not junk like the bikes at Walmart. Used is another option. As someone who refurbishes bikes for a non-profit co-op, I of course advocate for used whenever possible.

For my kids, we have Always bought used bikes where we can. My younger son is almost 13 and is just at 6 feet tall. He will probably get between 6’3-6’4” so he has gone through almost everything that is size dependent pretty quickly. I could never keep up financially if I were buying new for him every time he grew another size. His older brother was similar. Just a little shorter. He’s 6’2”.

Most people think of a computer as not only a toy, but as a tool.

I've said it elsewhere, but most people think of a bike as only a toy, not a tool. For many if not most people, they are never going to make the leap of thinking of a bike as a tool. Even myself, I try to justify my purchase, saying I bought it to start commuting to work by bike again, but so far it's still a toy and not a tool...although I am also hoping it is a tool to lose some gut!

This is a very interesting observation. Yes, bikes are often seen as toys. And practical people don’t tend to spend a lot of money on toys. But when it crosses over to tool, rules change.

Perhaps I have always thought as bikes as tools first because at nine I had a paper route and used my bike. That might also be why I am very steady on a bike. As I used to balance my small kid body with a bag of heavy papers on a bike.

Yes, bikes are often seen as toys.

I should say that I was speaking from the American perspective. It is different elsewhere in the world. I was watching an NHK travel show called "Somewhere Street." They were in Haarlem, Netherlands, and there was a scene showing thousands of bikes in an underground parking facility for commuters. Just mind blowing. o_O
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 10.21.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-27 at 10.25.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-27 at 10.22.29 AM.png

I've ridden about 500 miles in the 2 months that I've owned the Crosscurrent. That's more than in the last 20 years. My stamina and strength have both improved and I've lost about 8 lbs. That's not a lot, but it's steady and sustainable. We will never know how much I will have saved in doctor bills, but at the age of 65, anything I can do has got to make a big difference.

My wife and I enjoy riding together and get out for runs as often as we can, in addition to using our bikes for commuting and errands. She was very nervous at first, hadn't ridden a bike since she was a student. To see her coming home from work today, smiling, in a light rain that she would not have braved before - you can't even put a price on that.

We're selling our 2nd car to our oldest daughter. We don't need it; she does. One less registration fee, one less insurance bill, one less car payment.

I filled the Outback 2 weeks ago. It's not even down half a tank yet, and that includes 2 trips to neighboring towns.

At this rate, considering the things like gas and insurance that we can quantify, our ebike will pay for themselves in somewhere between 1 and 2 years. That's not trying to estimate the dollar value of improved health. And what about quality of life? Priceless, as the commercial says.

There may be a less expensive bike that fits my needs as well as the CCS - "like a glove" - but I don't know what it is. No buyer's remorse here!

I happily spent 1500 on my kids bikes knowing that they have a great platform to go ride. They NEVER rode their wal mart bikes but they do ride their full suspension bikes. I also didn't bat an eye at 5k for my ebike. I knew it was going to change my life. People criticize me even those who had weight loss surgery for tens of thousands of dollars just to gain it back. I just smile because I'm literally out every nice day riding and every wet day thinking about riding.

Back