Bike work stand... heavy duty...

bosun52

IMG_1307.JPG
Purchased this heavy duty work horse... supports up to eighty pounds. Very pleased with it, keeps me from bending over

Last edited:
Nice bike stand.

I have a Bikehand Pro Mechanic bicycle repair rack, $90, Amazon. My Radrover is at the stand weight limit; but, holds the bike very steady and without issues. So much easier to work and clean the bike on a stand compared to just doing the work when just leaning on the kick stand. I ended up getting the Feedback Sports Flop Stop Handlebar holder, $22, Amazon, to keep my heavy front fat tire steady.

I agree ... If you clean and wrench yourself makes it much easier ... Or you need to grow couple more hands ! This is a parks stand ... Not top of the line but holds my 52lb. Bike steady no prob.
IMG_20161203_193542.jpg

I got a Kuat NV 2.0 Hitch rack - which has a built in "Trail doc". I don't recommend that option as the bike is TOO heavy and unable to move the pedals.

Good thread tho - I am interested in getting something to make working on the bike easier..

My Radmini weighs in at 63 lb.... quite a load. This stand is very light and compact, uses very little real estate in storage. A bit $$ but will last a lifetime.

i got the park pcs-10 stand for my bikes per ravi's recommendations

it is very well built, portable, folds and does a great job for my heavy bikes
top weight is 80lbs on it

the pcs-9 is just a slightly different older version but a little cheaper

both are highly reviewed on amazon

i saw a few bike stands on craigslists also, may be a good place to pick up a used one

I have heard great things about the those Feedback Sports Repair Stands! One thing I would be careful of is clamping them too hard on the frame. The frame tubing on bicycles isn't as strong as the seatpost and bike stands have enough clamping force to actually crush fame tubes. When possible, it's generally best to hold the bike by the seatpost.

I have read the same also. This model does not have a pressure c-clamp. It uses a screw type clamp, you tighten just enough to hold, and it does not take much to do so. I will post a pic if interested.

Here are some pics of my bike rack. I'm at the max weight limit with the bike rack. I have to leave the telescoping arm for the bike height at the lowest level or the it just slides down. It seems to be at the perfect height at that setting for me. It can be like wrestling a bear sometimes trying to get the tail heavy Radrover on the stand. It is very stable when I get it secured. Added the Flop Stop handlebar to keep the front tire in place.

Feedback Sport Flop Stop Handlebar Holder, $22, Amazon
Bikehand Pro mechanic Bicycle Repair Rack Stand, $90, Amazon

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

What's the point in having the stand?

I use an adjustable pull strap hanging from the garage opener frame and connected to the rack of the bike. This gets the rear tire ever so slightly off the ground to spin if needed. But I can't see why someone would need to get the whole bike off the ground. Can anyone chime into why one would need to place the bike on a stand? Other than to get it higher up on the ground so you don't need to sit/crouch to work on the bike at lower levels

Sit and crouch is one reason ... Changing tires where more convenient to do both tires at same time is another ... Plus hanging a bike induces swinging while working on bike . A good bike stand holds it still / steady ... Eliminates the need to grow couple more hands

I like using a stand because I can set up anywhere in the garage and it holds the bike very steady. In the evening, I need to move the stand near the overhead light at the back half of the garage. I move closer to the open garage door during daytime maint when it is warm enough outside. Everything seem to be at the right height if I sit in a chair to work on the gears, tires, or chain.

IMG_0334.JPG
I'd probably like a bicycle lift, but for now a couple of bar stools have been working pretty well. I've changed the rear wheel twice, tuned the front and rear disk brakes and tuned the derailleur several times. All in the comfort of the basement heat (the garage is too cold this time of year in Minnesota, but the winter riding trails are fantastic on the Rad Rover).

My vote is for the work stand. I'm early 60's and had to replace a tube due to a flat. I found it a little difficult to flip the bike over and shim it up so not to damage all my gadgets on the handlebars. My wife had a smirk and simply said "you bought a $1500 bike and you wont buy a work stand". So I bought the Feedback Sports Classic. Says it will hold up to 85lbs. The build quality of the stand is outstanding. The fit and finish is superb. You can set this up literally in 20 seconds. Open the lower cam clamp, slide the legs open and lock the clamp, done. Weighs about 11-12 lbs. The tube clamp has a quick slide feature so you can quickly slide it open or closed then use the hefty knob to lock it tight. Now my conundrums. Where to hold the bike. The clamp seems designed for a seatpost diameter. The lowest height is about 41" so how do I lift the bike and clamp a 60lbs bike? The clamps will rotate horizontal which allows me to lift the bike and place it in the clamps but the Radrover top tube is somewhat rectangular and angles down to the seatpost. The short area where it is horizontal has the rear brake and derailleur cables exiting from it in that area and I found the clamps pinch the cables. None of these issues are problems with the stand as it works great with my Specialized road bike which I can lift with one arm. It has more to do with the typical designs of a fat ebike. Also you have to keep under consideration the Radrover is rear heavy so trying to get a somewhat balanced bike is a little difficult. Anyway with the bike in the stand it is very solid and will not tip over. Anyone with experience with stands and the Radrover please chime in with how you do it alone. Thanks.

Attachments

• bikestand1.jpg
    bikestand1.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 685
  • bikestand2.jpg
    bikestand2.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 621
  • bikestand3.jpg
    bikestand3.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 654
Back