Bike that can carry an extra rider

Specialized launches 28 MPH Globe Haul LT electric cargo bike with throttle

https://electrek.co/2023/08/29/specialized-launches-28-mph-globe-haul-lt-electric-cargo-bike/
Globe-Press-Kit-13-copy.jpg

And I was just getting ready to buy another Lectric! I really want to see a Globe in-person. Specialized backed as well. My question to myself: Quit playing with cheaper ebikes (that I've had good luck with) and step up to something premium OR stay with a Xpedition since I really don't ride as often as I thought I would.

Nothing wrong with cheaper ebikes if that's what suits your riding.
I commute in NYC, tens of thousands of delivery workers riding ebikes that cost less than $2k.
They ride 24/7, in all weather, their ebikes are designed to be used and abused, ridden in rain, put away wet and do it again the next day.
Rarely they are pedaled for extended amount of time/distance.
They are not sexy, they are not fancy, just workhorses.

Nothing wrong with cheaper ebikes if that's what suits your riding.
I commute in NYC, tens of thousands of delivery workers riding ebikes that cost less than $2k.
They ride 24/7, in all weather, their ebikes are designed to be used and abused, ridden in rain, put away wet and do it again the next day.
Rarely they are pedaled for extended amount of time/distance.
They are not sexy, they are not fancy, just workhorses.
And the batteries explode in apartments killing people...

My quick take on smaller wheels, they seem more stable and keep the load lower. My wife and I test rode the Pedego cargo bike. Great quality but it rode like it had a broken hinge in the middle, and it wasn't a folder. The 26" wheels seemed to flex and I know the frame had a bit of flex as well. My Lectric XP doesn't seem to flex with my wife on the back. Maybe I'm just used to it now? But for now on all my cargo ebikes will have 20" wheels.

I think it is odd that the use of 20" tire size then jumps to 26" tires,
and the 24" tires get left out left out in the cold like a orphaned child,
I wonder why?
It would seem that a 24" x 3"- 4" wide tire would be a very medium, imho.

I think it is odd that the use of 20" tire size then jumps to 26" tires,
and the 24" tires get left out left out in the cold like a orphaned child,
I wonder why?
It would seem that a 24" x 3"- 4" wide tire would be a very medium, imho.

Every brand has a different philosophy. Tern, for instance, is all about a compact footprint so smaller wheels = less space. Yuba does it for the deck height as mentioned. Benno uses a few different sizes, 24" on the Boost.

I had a Cero One for a minute and it featured staggered sized tires. This one was weird in that it had the larger wheel in the rear but I will say it rode very nice. Now I prefer my wheels the same size to simplify inner-tube inventory and tire selection.

Curious about why cargo bikes all seem to have little wheels. Do smaller wheels handle bigger loads?
People that buy those don't need their tongue.
I ride a 26" yuba bodaboda cargo bike. Much less pothole shock than a 20"x2" tire. I can't always miss the potholes, sometimes it rains and sometimes I'm in a line of cars at a traffic light and 6' behind the car in front of me. I don't know if the 20"x4" tires on most of the tiny bikes have less shock in potholes, but I do know 25 psi fat tires would be a PIT* to pedal unpowered 60% of the distance the way I do. Electricity is for the 64th to 77th hill (up to 12% grade) or for days when the wind blows 25 mph in my face 30 miles home. (6 hot sweaty hours in 2017 caused me to buy the hub motor).
24" tire cargo bikes include the blix packa, the eunorau, and the replacement Yuba combi.
I brace mine against the cart rack when I load my groceries. It has a double leg stand but the load is not balanced until the soda+milk is all in both sides. I load the cart rack side first. I can knock it over while loading. Loading a squirmy child in a car seat in the clips could be even more likely to knock the bike over.
About the globehaul; those straight handlebars would make my hands numb in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Back