Bike stand(s) for heavy e-bike

I need a better way on the tandem no good clamping points on the frame I use the back bar riser its close but no go. my seat post may work have to try it. I guess it will depend on if Want the front wheel up or the back wheel.
Yeah I guess a tandem adds to the equation. Heavier + added length to grapple with as well.
I'm lucky in that where my top tube meets the seat tube is pretty much balanced so I can leave the jaw horizontal and wide open and just plop it in
I think we would both benefit from The Old Man and the eBicycle... "I wish the boy was here"

Last edited:
really seems like you could just make one out of wood, bolts and gas pipe and fittings. The actual clamp to hold the bike would be a tougher source. But just a sturdy base with a heavy (metal) sturdy pipe wouldn't be difficult to fabricate. I mean $2,000. + for a stand to hold a bike just seems sort of nuts.... to me. you could build a wide box with 2x4's (pressured treated for more weight), laid out flat on the floor. Then some 3x4 pressure treated plywood (again because it's heavier and stronger) laid and glued/screwed on top as the stage of the box. So basically a stage that's a couple inches off the ground. Use a pipe flange and bolt it to the plywood, reinforce the underside of the flange with more wood or even a flat piece of metal if you want so there's no chance of tear-out.
View attachment 88067

then you just need some heavy gas pipe, probably 1 1/4" as the Riser,..maybe going to a 'T',.. you could have pipe and a 90 and 'weight' on one side of the 'T' as a counterweight to the bike, then the other side of the 'T' you'd need a bit of pipe and some type of clamp.

I mean that's just a crude 'off the top of my head' idea, but for $2,000.+ bucks I'd probably catry really hard to just build one myself for a couple hundred bucks. You just need to account and build for sturdiness and weight distribution. So you'd want a somewhat wide base so it's hard to tip over, and some kind of counterweight to offset the weight of the bike. And I'd make sure the pipe is perfectly in the center of the base.
If you are going DIY you should pay better attention to properly designed units as your prototype. Your counterweight hanging from a T is a "crazy" and potentially dangerous idea (crazy was your choice of word for me for being willing to pay so much money for a pro level tool). The stabilizing weight should be as low as possible, emulating the pro stands. That means using a 135 lb. 3/4' Steel plate for a base, properly securing the vertical pipe to it with drilled out threaded holes and bolts to secure the pipe flange at the bottom of your stand pipe to the base Then you can find a proper clamping mechanism, figure out how to mount it, set up some sort of lift system so your are not stuck trying to hold a 70 lb. bike with one hand and tighten up the clamp with the other. The main point is to avoid that, which could very likely end in injury to you, damage to the bike or both at some point.

like I said it was off the top of my head. After I thought more about it I thought it would be better to put a couple free weights on the base. I've built lots of stuff from cars to houses to furniture. The first rough idea is never the final idea.

No need to get upset though, if you want to pay $3000. or whatever for a bike-stand have at it. I mean I spent $3000. on a bike, lots of folks call that crazy as well.

like I said it was off the top of my head. After I thought more about it I thought it would be better to put a couple free weights on the base. I've built lots of stuff from cars to houses to furniture. The first rough idea is never the final idea.

No need to get upset though, if you want to pay $3000. or whatever for a bike-stand have at it. I mean I spent $3000. on a bike, lots of folks call that crazy as well.
Well a $3000 bike needs a $3000 stand.
Let's maintain level of quality 🙃

I am not upset but no one likes to have their choices negatively characterized. Best to avoid calling other people names or characterizing their decisions. Egos can be a little fragile from time to time No need to provoke an unnecessary flame war. I know it can't always be avoided, but I do try. Sometimes, if the shoe fits....

I did buy mine before the big price increase and only had a four month wait, but it was still the high priced spread. I thank myself for buying it every time I use it though and that is usually three or four times a week. My ebikes have literally replaced my car and I do most of the mechanicing on them. My wife and I went down to one car last year and we are making it work. It is easier to justify splurging on such an expensive work stand under our circumstances, where the ebikes are saving us over $7,000 in automotive costs each year.

I am not upset but no one likes to have their choices negatively characterized. Best to avoid calling other people names or characterizing their decisions. Egos can be a little fragile from time to time No need to provoke an unnecessary flame war.

You've read far too much into the common expression, "that's crazy" and for some reason have decided to take it personally.

whatever,.. moving on....

You've read far too much into the common expression, "that's crazy" and for some reason have decided to take it personally.

whatever,.. moving on....
I did not take it personally. I just was trying to point out that I could have. It is best to avoid using loaded words to describe the decisions of other people. It can devolve into a dialog you did not intend to initiate. Forums are famous for people getting offended when that was not the other person's intent. We can only read the words on the screen but we can't see the person's body language and facial expression which is a big part of communication. Another things to be careful of because of the incomplete communication is sarcasm, which can often be misinterpreted as a slight.

Yes, let's move on. I intended no slight or criticism of you and apologize if my words made you feel otherwise.

Back to bike stands.

Yeah I guess a tandem adds to the equation. Heavier + added length to grapple with as well.
I'm lucky in that where my top tube meets the seat tube is pretty much balanced so I can leave the jaw horizontal and wide open and just plop it in
I think we would both benefit from The Old Man and the eBicycle... "I wish the boy was here"
ya that works on my bulls. but not on the tandem.

@ ~ $ 220.00
Lally, fittings, bolts, "Bike Hand" & pole mount adapter
My "Lally Stand" wall mounted Bike Hand with a big steel pole mount adapter
The bike on it's Hand swings ( rotates ) on the Lally axle because the column is a 'loose fit, not structural.
A Pully rope hoist is on the beam to lift 63# eBike into place or disassembly of rear wheel assy.

Attachments​

• LallyStand.JPG
    LallyStand.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 158
  • BikeHandPoleMount.JPG
    BikeHandPoleMount.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 172

Last edited:
My ebikes weigh in at 70lbs. I bought the Bike Hand HD repair stand rated for 110lbs. Works great. The hard part is lifting the bike to get it onto rack. Thinking of getting some milk crates to elevate the the bike to make it easier to get the bikes onto the rack. Maybe use my hydraulic jack???

If you are going to spend over $2K on a stand, at least get one with a power lift built in.

https://www.parktool.com/product/power-lift-shop-stand-prs-33-2
Thats the one that was used to set up my Rail 5 at the Scheels in Mankato, MN. I remember being impressed that it was the very first powered lift bike stand I’d ever seen.
5F747EFC-0051-43B8-AAA9-3EB526908FC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Note to self, 7 billion people in the world, they all look different than me - some might think differently as well.

Note to self, 7 billion people in the world, they all look different than me - some might think differently as well.
I couldn't agree more.
I sometimes mention this to those that insist that the only bike worth purchasing or discussing here are those made by the name brands.. but it seems that it just invokes more condescension.

sorry for nitpicking 😅 but we're very close to 8 billion now.

... and just one more justification for nature blessing us with covid 19

I sometimes mention this to those that insist that the only bike worth purchasing or discussing here are those made by the name brands.. but it seems that it just invokes more condescension.
I truly appreciate everything you do to raise the level of discourse on EBR. I don't think I would be able to do so with as much restraint or civility as you do and would probably just come across as being condescending myself much of the time. 🙃

Back