Bike rack for Ebikes

Marc Webster

Hello All,

I have 2 e-bikes I want to carry on a 2" hitch rack. One is 50lbs and the other is about 35lbs. However I may build another for my wife and hers is sure to be in the 45 to 50lb range. I will only ever need to carry 2 bikes at once. I was originaly looking at the Quick Rack (https://www.quikrack.com/) which is the upgraded design to the 1up USA rack. Seems 1up infringed on may of this guys patents so he made a new design. Anyhow this rack will do the job but its not available yet. Curious what other people are using. Also I drive a Subaru outback and being able to move rack out of the way to open the hatch with bikes installed would be proffered. I see Saris has some nice racks as well but not familiar with that brand.

Another option is I design my own to take advantage of the many roof rack trays I already have. I have some really nice racks from Yakima that are essentially useless to me as I need a hitch setup now. I could easily make an adapter to allow me to mount a roof rack tray setup on a 2" hitch and design in a swing out functionality. Yet its another project (I have any going now) and part of me wants to just buy something...

Thoughts?

Saris does make nice racks. Mine will hold 2 bikes and up to 120 lbs. It does not tilt but it is set back several inches from the bumper. If you don't have a flipper window on the Subaru you won't be able to open the lift gate.

As to the roof rack, lifting a 50+ lb. bike onto a rear rack is hard enough. Raising it up to roof height may be a challenge and you could possibly damage the car.

Saris does make nice racks. Mine will hold 2 bikes and up to 120 lbs. It does not tilt but it is set back several inches from the bumper. If you don't have a flipper window on the Subaru you won't be able to open the lift gate.

As to the roof rack, lifting a 50+ lb. bike onto a rear rack is hard enough. Raising it up to roof height may be a challenge and you could possibly damage the car.
Hello Al,

Thanks for the reply with info on the Saris racks. in regards to the roof rack, I have no intention of trying to lift a 50lb bike up onto a tall Subaru. My Plan B would be to use my roof rack accessories (bike rack try portion) ad mount them to an assembly I make that is 2" hitch mounted and will have the ability to use my existing roof trays. Might be a worthwhile item since many people in my situation who have old roof rack items but own a car with a hitch setup.

I have the Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 bike platform rack is use with my two SUVs. I mostly transport my two Radrovers at around +60lbs each; but, occasionally need to add a 3rd or 4th pedal bikes at 35 lbs or less for family outings only a few times a year.

I have limitations on tongue weight for both vehicles of 500 lbs for my larger SUV and only 150 lbs for my smaller one. My smaller SUV standard hitch is 1.25"; but, I found an aftermarket 2" hitch so I didn't have to add an adapter to switch between vehicles. You might want to double-check the max tongue weight of the Subaru compared to the hitch? Also factor in the length of the a 4 bike rack and if there are passenger and rear cargo restrictions as you increase tongue weight. You don't want your headlight blinding people, reduced front wheel traction, bottoming out over bumps, or handling/braking issues if the Subaru is too tail heavy.

The good things about the Saris rack are:
- tilts down for hatch access
- short lift height being a platform rack
- very secure clamps for front/rear tires and has straps in tire trays. My ebikes do not move at 75 mph on the hwy
- has an cable lock at each end of arm for an extra layer of security
- the second outer arm for bike 3 & 4 can be removed for weight savings and it is easier to put bikes 1 & 2 on the platform
- designed for 190lbs total weight with 4 bikes (60lbs+60lbs+35lbs+35lbs)

Bad things:
- expensive at $799 (got lucky and found an Amazon return for $550 with some mission nuts/bolts)
- heavy at around 65 lbs, made from iron (not aluminum), I never look forward to adding the rack to the vehicle
- hard to secure tire clamps if you have front and rear fenders
- get some bounciness over bumps because of the joint where the rack tilts

I originally purchased a Hollywood Racks Ebike specific rack. Like most of those type of racks, the annoying part is getting it setup for your bikes, the first time. But once it's setup, it's just putting your bikes on and strapping them. I took 2 bikes about 500 miles and the rack worked fine. It even has a wobble reducer for the hitch. Amazon sells it for 400 so it's a pretty good value. My one knock against it was it doesn't fold up so takes a lot of space in your garage. I also had the locking pin that holds the frame vertical come out while I was driving. (It has a notch so I may not have rotated the notch far enough but still risky)

But unfortunately, I was rear ended with my rack and bikes so that thing was destroyed. I decided to switch to a Thule Easyfold. I got a great deal on it but still significantly more expensive than the Hollywood Rack. The one advantage of the Thule is it folds up into a suitcase size shape. So much easier to store. Once you figure out the correct way to hold 2 bikes, it mounts very quickly. That being said I've only driven long distances with 1 bike. Works well for that and the anti wobble is impressive. But I've see reports of people taking 2 bikes, so i assume it will work.

Hello All,

I have 2 e-bikes I want to carry on a 2" hitch rack. One is 50lbs and the other is about 35lbs. However I may build another for my wife and hers is sure to be in the 45 to 50lb range. I will only ever need to carry 2 bikes at once. I was originaly looking at the Quick Rack (https://www.quikrack.com/) which is the upgraded design to the 1up USA rack. Seems 1up infringed on may of this guys patents so he made a new design. Anyhow this rack will do the job but its not available yet. Curious what other people are using. Also I drive a Subaru outback and being able to move rack out of the way to open the hatch with bikes installed would be proffered. I see Saris has some nice racks as well but not familiar with that brand.

Another option is I design my own to take advantage of the many roof rack trays I already have. I have some really nice racks from Yakima that are essentially useless to me as I need a hitch setup now. I could easily make an adapter to allow me to mount a roof rack tray setup on a 2" hitch and design in a swing out functionality. Yet its another project (I have any going now) and part of me wants to just buy something...

Thoughts?
Hello All,

Thoughts?

I have two e-Bikes, combined weight 95, using a Saris Freedom Super Clamp 2 and it works great. I love the rack. Extremely easy to install and
remove the rack including the hitch bracket. I don't leave either on my car. Unfortunately according to the Saris Website the
Freedom Super Clamp 2 is no longer in production.

My guess is the Super Clamp 2 is the replacement, it's the same rack, but tilts allowing access to the hatch of a station wagon.
I've had great customer service and they provide excellent tech support on questions I've had about my rack...Saris, a great company.

Back