Bike maintenance stand

HarshAutumn

Anyone have any experience with a good maintenance stand (home use)? I have a Pedego City Commuter - step thru, so it needs to be pretty heavy duty to hold 60 lbs.

Park Tool PCS 10

I own one, use it frequently and love it. It's rated for 100 pounds and I don't have any problem with my 60 lb bike at any angle, including upside down. Rock solid!

My opinion you do need this accessory (for any stand). I've never regretted purchasing anything from Park Tool.

I agree with J.R. I bought the Park PCS-10. It wasn't cheap, but it is very solid. Our eBikes are heavier than conventional whips and a good stand makes doing maintenance chores, cleaning, and lubing almost a treat.
I also use the handlebar holder he suggested and bought the paper towel holder and the handy tool tray as well.
The stuff from Park Tools doesn't come cheap, but in every case I've found it to be worth every penny. This stand is no exception.
Allen

Last edited:
I initially built one which was heavy and a pain to move around. Now I just use the one on the Kuat NV II. I can't bring it in the house so I usually just back it in the garage.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This one holds up to 66lbs, I myself have never used it but it did get 4.1 out of 5 star rating.
I just bought this RAD stand based on your post. Well made stand (if you don't care about stabilizing the handlebars), but the clamp is designed to fit snugly around the top and down tube of a conventional bike. The Easy Motion line of bikes has a wide flat down tube, with the battery off. I tried clamping the top tube but the rear is too heavy to allow a balanced, level positioning of the bike. Tried the seat tube also, but the bike will still pivot, even with both wheels removed. I suggest folks look at sturdier stands and consider the exact interface between clamp and bike. Also the handlebar stabilizing system is nearly worthless. At least my experience can prevent others from wasting time with this model.

Last edited:
I just bought this RAD stand based on your post. Well made stand (if you don't care about stabilizing the handlebars), but the clamp is designed to fit snugly around the down tube of a conventional bike. The Easy Motion line of bikes has a wide flat down tube, with the battery off. I tried clamping the top tube but the rear is too heavy to allow a balanced, level positioning of the bike. I suggest folks look at sturdier stands and consider the exact interface between clamp and bike. Also the handlebar stabilizing system is nearly worthless. At least my experience can prevent others from wasting time with this model.
The Park PCS 10 doesn't require you to place the bike at a balance point, you can clamp to the top, down or seat tube and lock it there. Especially good for an ebike as most are either front or rear heavy.

Has anyone come across a DIY eBike repair stand? I want to build something off my garage wall and floor. tia.

@bikerjohn Those bike lifts rigged off the seat seem way too risky for a 60 lbs bike.. Seat wasn't designed for that kind of load (60lbs in tension and shear).

If you build it please let us know how it works out.

@bikerjohn Those bike lifts rigged off the seat seem way too risky for a 60 lbs bike.. Seat wasn't designed for that kind of load (60lbs in tension and shear).

As far load capability of a bike seat -it depends on the seat. A pulley system can be used without involving raising the bike by the seat rails. Although all my bikes with B-17 saddles have no issue if the support brackets are properly positioned.

I have five of those bike lifts and use them for storing 5 of the 7 bikes my wife and I own. The EG Zurich, at 57 pounds w/battery is the heaviest bike in our fleet, and a bit too heavy for the lift without first removing the battery pack. It is logical to reduce the overall weight of any bike to its lightest level before using the lift as a suspension rack for storage or routine maintenance.

As far as using the suspension storage system as a bike repair stand, it works perfectly for routine maintenance such as cable adjustments, lubrication, and inspection. If torquing a wheel nut, crank pedals, etc; then supporting the bike weight by propping up the bike from below as well as from above is common sense. Much maintenance can be performed with the bike lift without the need for bottom support.

Then don't attach it to the seat. Put it to the frame wherever it works for you. I used the rear rack on the Stromer since it's double mounted and very strong. Just have to use your brain. Only need it a few inches off the ground for most maintenance.

As far load capability of a bike seat -it depends on the seat. A pulley system can be used without involving raising the bike by the seat rails. Although all my bikes with B-17 saddles have no issue if the support brackets are properly positioned.

I have five of those bike lifts and use them for storing 5 of the 7 bikes my wife and I own. The EG Zurich, at 57 pounds w/battery is the heaviest bike in our fleet, and a bit too heavy for the lift without first removing the battery pack. It is logical to reduce the overall weight of any bike to its lightest level before using the lift as a suspension rack for storage or routine maintenance.

As far as using the suspension storage system as a bike repair stand, it works perfectly for routine maintenance such as cable adjustments, lubrication, and inspection. If torquing a wheel nut, crank pedals, etc; then supporting the bike weight by propping up the bike from below as well as from above is common sense. Much maintenance can be performed with the bike lift without the need for bottom support.

Good stuff John. My stromer is at least 65 lbs with all the junk i've mounted on it, and I never remove the battery. I might order one from Amazon and see if it's worth it.. I like DIY but maybe it's easier this way.

http://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Pro...UTF8&qid=1437971653&sr=8-3&keywords=bike+lift

I wouldn't lift my Stromer to the ceiling and leave it there. I use it to raise the bike enough to work on, but I wouldn't trust it not to drop a 75lb bike on my head.
And you're going to work to get it up to the ceiling!!

Ordered a PCS-10 today. Will be quite different than crawling all around doing cleaning , and general tuning . This will be my 1st major Park Tool purchase. Thanks to all for info. on this stand. Also got the handlebar holder.

I am now a fan of Park Tools, thanks JR for your post and pics.,the Snap - On folks of the bike world! Set up my Pcs-10 stand and detailed my St2 yesterday . After designing some padding for clamp, I clamped it down, for some over-do cleaning, by the way rear axle bolt was loose.. The quality of design and materials is superb. Maintenance is a pleasure now. Stand folds up neatly. One word of caution though. With a 50 - 60 lb. E-bike I suggest a tying a rope to something solid behind stand. While cleaning off side very little pressure is needed to wobble stand. Also if outside in gusty winds could topple over quite easily. Box it came in was thrashed, all the staples were torn loose, and wrapped with tape to hold it together. Looks like all the parts were there though. Amazon wanted to know about shipping , so probably had complaints. Just the right shape to be flung about, and quite heavy. Thanks again .

Back