Bike gear for throttle

VMR

Region
Canada
Hello.
Just installed one of these Bafang mid-drive motors on a generic mountain bike.
What gear should my bike stay on while I am using throttle? I have 7 cogs.
Do I need to switch gears at all?

With mid drives its better to use the gears properly, otherwise you can increase the wear on your components meaning more frequent replacement of parts.

Try to stay out of the smallest cogs as much as possible, use the largest cog you can to maintain the speed you want to travel.

You can use the small cogs but be mindful of the stress you're putting them under. Best to use them to maintain a speed rather than gain speed.

You'll probably find you can do a majority of your riding in one gear (3rd/4th) just fine.... feel it out and see how it goes.

Which Bafang did you get? The BBSHD is much more forgiving than the BBS02 as far as what gear you're in. That's not to say you start out in your 52T chainring and the 11T cassette gear, but the BBSHD will require less shifting as long as you apply some logic and good sense. I pretty much do only mountain biking with my BBSHD with a 42T Eclipse chainring and an 11-50T rear 9-speed cassette. I mainly do pedal assist unless I hit a stall out in some rocks or approach a ledge unexpectedly. In those cases I'm only using throttle very, very briefly, and I'm almost always "not" in some stupid, extremely high gear when it happens. A BBSHD doesn't even breath hard in situations like that. Longer extended throttle pulls in higher gears going up steep inclines are probably where you should focus more on appropriate gear selection to keep the motor/controller happy.

Back