Better HALL sensor connectors

plochez

Region
USA
i have put together 4 different ebikes now and i find that with the Chinese hub motor kits that one of the weakest links in the system is the connectors they provide for the 5 or 6 HALL wires. The wires are small and the connectors don't really stay snug in their plastic connectors. It just takes one or two wires to come loose (while you are bouncing around on your bike) and then you have issues. I keep my controllers in a zipped up bag so then it is a pain to go find what wires came loose. There has to be better solutions for a snug connector fit, short of just soldering them all together for a permanent connection. Would appreciate any ideas.

Doesn't really help what you are running now, but that would be a good reason to switch to Bafang hub drives in the future. They have a pretty good connector that's quickly becoming the gold standard.

For you're existing installs, maybe look into a higher quality connector? When pushing the 2 halves together, confirm that all of the wires did connect and none were pushed back out of the connector. Only takes a second. From there, there should be no issue with them rattling loose. Maybe just corrosion if exposed to salt spray or something....

I'm familiar with Bafang as it was my first conversion ( and the bike I ride most often), but since then I have been doing ebike conversions for friends and not everyone wants to spend the $ on Bafang so I've been trying some of the lower cost Chinese front and rear hubs to see how they work out. I was really looking for a recommendation on a good solid 5 wire connector that won't come easily apart, as the ones they provide are not that secure even when you make sure to push in the pins. I guess I will just keep searching, maybe some time of auto harness might be the ticket.

You are both correct. Cut a length of adhesive shrink tube and push it over and well past one connector. Aligning carefully. Add one drop of silicone grease as you push them together. Then heat shrink to seal the deal.

If you bend the prong on the pins, they will stay in the white 2x3 connector. I only have one bike that uses the 2x3, but I've had it since 2015 w/o any disconnects, It's not just Bafang that uses the 9 pin, I have various $100 motors that use it. Some even provide the 9 pin female extension with 3 bullets and a a 2x3 for the controller.

I like the 9 pin as it males a nice quick connect for tire changes.

I don't keep controllers in a bag. I used to bolt them to the frame, but water would wash out the throttle/PAS connectors. They started selling controller boxes that fit better, so last summer, I moved several controllers to boxes that I attach to the frame. Hide all the loose connectors in the box. My ebikes starting to look a little more store-bought.

I've been using a 2x3 for 4 years now, without issue, on my 1000w geared hub hot rod Rad City. I don't understand the problem. Each pin has a "barb" on it, that locks the pins in place securely once fully inserted. Too securely occasionally. If you need to get them out, they can be a pain...

Barb is a better term than prong. I squeeze them with a needle nose in the rare event I want to take them out,

Back