Best way lock a bike with nothing around?

You just thought it wouldn't, or did you even research it? Your situation is the exact reason they were invented. Hill climbing ability has nothing to do with a folding frame. A thief will not hesitate climbing up on your car and with a cordless grinder, cut off the rear rack on your car. EBike enthusiasts rarely think like a thief. When this one gets stolen, I suggest you ride a few.

Stolen in a parking garage locked up to a bar....this is the Founder of this website :eek:

Take the bike with you Id say....

Stolen in a parking garage locked up to a bar....this is the Founder of this website :eek:

Take the bike with you Id say....
You can't stop a determined and experienced bike thief. When all is said and done bike insurance is as good an investment as a couple of decent locks.

Guess your right, I'm in Ontario any insurance companies you recommend?
Hello,
I have own a condo, and have two Trek e-bikes. My condo homeowners is with Geico. I don't know if they write Insurance in Canada.
Geico actually doesn't write homeowners but partners with a third party, Stillwater. I've called three times to confirm that my e-bikes
were covered on my Condo policy and each time I was told...Yes.

I explained my bikes were e-bikes ( with an electric motor) Didn't matter. I was told the bikes are considered personal property
and thus covered.

Good luck,
John

Hello,
I have own a condo, and have two Trek e-bikes. My condo homeowners is with Geico. I don't know if they write Insurance in Canada.
Geico actually doesn't write homeowners but partners with a third party, Stillwater. I've called three times to confirm that my e-bikes
were covered on my Condo policy and each time I was told...Yes.

I explained my bikes were e-bikes ( with an electric motor) Didn't matter. I was told the bikes are considered personal property
and thus covered.

I'm in the US and have theft and liability and a few other kinds of coverage with Markel. There is Velosurance, which is underwritten by Markel, and Spoke. Others, I'm sure. No idea if any of them get into Canada.

As for homeowners insurance, mine covers theft from my property. That's it. If my bike is stolen when I'm on a ride around town or when I'm on vacation at the beach, it would be my loss. And it provides no liability or medical, etc. Markel covers all that, even if my bike is stolen or I run over someone in Canada.

Point being, there's coverage and there's coverage. Make sure you get the coverage you want/need.

Beyond that, the best idea I've seen in this thread, after taking your bike up to your condo, is the ground anchor. I'd put in two of them and use them both with one or two $200 (USD) locks if I were leaving my bike in the parking garage. Really, I'd take my bike upstairs, so ground anchors are a fairly distant 2nd choice.

TT

I'm in the US and have theft and liability and a few other kinds of coverage with Markel. There is Velosurance, which is underwritten by Markel, and Spoke. Others, I'm sure. No idea if any of them get into Canada.

As for homeowners insurance, mine covers theft from my property. That's it. If my bike is stolen when I'm on a ride around town or when I'm on vacation at the beach, it would be my loss. And it provides no liability or medical, etc. Markel covers all that, even if my bike is stolen or I run over someone in Canada.

Point being, there's coverage and there's coverage. Make sure you get the coverage you want/need.

Beyond that, the best idea I've seen in this thread, after taking your bike up to your condo, is the ground anchor. I'd put in two of them and use them both with one or two $200 (USD) locks if I were leaving my bike in the parking garage. Really, I'd take my bike upstairs, so ground anchors are a fairly distant 2nd choice.

TT
Hello again,

Excellent reply. You're spot on ! I'm glad you brought up about home owners only covering theft from 'home' for folks not aware of that limitation.
My needs/concern is theft from my condo garage, thus the limited coverage.

Thanks,
John

I'm in Canada, and i have seperate Policy Riders on my 2 bikes. They are insured anywhere and full value replacement has $100 deductables. I can't recall what I pay for the Riders, but it's reasonable.

Hello Sean.. I've spent much time researching bike security. Nearly everyone suggest you spend 10 percent of the bikes value on locks. In all cases it means multiple locks. Ulocks (more than one), GPS modules, tracking devices, chains, cables, ground anchors, alarms, etc. You have valid concerns, but why would you spend that kind of money without considering the security aspect? Remove all unsecured items such as lights, seat, front wheel, pumps and bags. These things can be taken to your condo though an inconvenience for sure. How about asking the management about additional bike racks, additional lighting and video cameras. Perhaps you could even attach your own hidden video. Install signs indicating video cameras are present.. even if there are none!!! Personally, I would lock it in my car if possible, it's sometimes doable with the front tire removed. Or consider trading your car for a larger one, a hatchback or a station wagon where room for a bike is plentiful. You should know that it's not if it'll be stolen.. but when!! Hope this was helpful. Let me know what you've chosen to do and good luck to you.

More thoughts.. check to see if your insurance company can insure it, if not, find one that will, register the bike with a reputable organization, record the serial number, take pictures of it and file them away in case they're needed to confirm ownership if located. No lock in itself is enough to stop a seasoned thief. 30 seconds my friend.. that's all it takes! If it were me, a lockable car would seem to be your best bet, with Ulocks and covered with a blanket. Peace!

More thoughts.. check to see if your insurance company can insure it, if not, find one that will, register the bike with a reputable organization, record the serial number, take pictures of it and file them away in case they're needed to confirm ownership if located. No lock in itself is enough to stop a seasoned thief. 30 seconds my friend.. that's all it takes! If it were me, a lockable car would seem to be your best bet, with Ulocks and covered with a blanket. Peace!
Thanks for advice,

I've got anchor lock which cannot be removed, planning on attaching two large chains to it. I've also installed an alarm under the saddle, it's really loud. My car is really big, when parked you won't see the bike unless your walking around. My parking garage is for 1200 cars is huge. At weekends my bike will be on balcony.

Installed in my Condo psrking spot. I am in Toronto area. U Lock, Chain Lock, Cable Lock. FoldyLock is in the mail (delayed Covid deliveries). I will add them but really purchased for use when out and about

Attachments

• A601A414-4FD9-4647-9184-84F4A61A0DF1.jpeg
    A601A414-4FD9-4647-9184-84F4A61A0DF1.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 219
Installed in my Condo psrking spot. I am in Toronto area. U Lock, Chain Lock, Cable Lock. FoldyLock is in the mail (delayed Covid deliveries). I will add them but really purchased for use when out and about
Nice work. Are there security cameras there? Maybe a bike alarm as well?

So that locking rail is in your allotted space for your exclusive use? If so, anyone else try to use it?

Pretty sure I could have both bikes and maybe the rack in the back of my van in under a minute. Less with an accomplice.

TT

In the back of my parking spot, yes there are security cameras and motion sensitive lighting. Need fob to access residents parking.
The rack has 8 3" bolts into concrete, of course a bulldozer can move it, but anything less I suspect not as easy.
When I get the last lock - a Foldylock, you would need a pretty powerful angle grinder to break all 3 I suspect. Of course it can be done, but would kick up quite the racket for a while, plus I suspect the thief would be greedy and want them both, so double the effort and noise.
In the end, short of parking them in the White House situation room, anything can be stolen, it's a good deterrent, and of course Insured.

Those 8 bolts in a minute, plus loading by yourself?
No way.
3 minutes ...
😉
I was thinking either a cordless impact wrench for the 8 bolts; maybe 20 seconds, or just a rope or a chain around the top of the rack attached to my bumper hitch and pull forward a foot or two. Again, 20 seconds, more or less. Then throw everything in the back of the van and deal with locks and chains at my leisure in my fortress of solitude. Good thing I don't have a criminal mind. 😉

TT

Back