Best vehicle rack for step-thru e-bikes

Doggyman1202

I currently use a Hollywood Sport Rider rack. It's a solid, well made e-bike carrier that works perfectly for my mid-step Priority Current, but requires an adapter bar for my newly acquired Evelo Omega and any other bike with a pure V style frame. I really dislike the adapter bar for a number of reasons: A) It moves around and scratches the bike paint. B) After several months of usage one of the clamps has separated a bit so it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that it will hold. I'll need to replace the adapter bar if I keep the Hollywood rack. C) For reasons I won't enumerate here, the adapter bar can easily be removed by a bike thief, which leads to reason D) The rigamarole factor of not only attaching the adapter bar, but securing the bike to the rack with an external lock to protect the bike against theft. This process wears thin after awhile.

I have not seen the Thule or Kuat racks in action, but from the ads and illustrations these racks look like they secure the bike by the wheels, not the frame like the Hollywood Sport Rider does. I'm open to any brand though and bang-for-the-buck value is an important consideration. I do not need more than a two bike carrier. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
1Up Super Duty. i use it for my step thru. Fastest loading rack made. I load two step thru bikes in under a minute and drive off knowing they are securely mounted. Made in USA. 100% steel and aluminum. Not one piece of plastic.

1Up Super Duty. i use it for my step thru. Fastest loading rack made. I load two step thru bikes in under a minute and drive off knowing they are securely mounted. Made in USA. 100% steel and aluminum. Not one piece of plastic.
Thank you. It looks solid enough and priced reasonably. Are these direct to consumer only? I prefer to get a rack locally.

Another platform rack made by the same inventor as the 1UP Super Duty is the QuikRstuff rack. It is a Colorado based company, this rack is "Made in USA" expensive, a few more features for flexibility, folds for easy storage in vehicle or home, easy on/off in minutes with zero tools, 28lbs for 1st rack/22lbs for addition add-on racks, 120lbs for each of the two trays (240lbs max for double rack, 300lbs max for 3 racks), easy to adjust with no tools with almost any (e)bike with 5" fat tires or less. The wife and I are getting close to 60 years old and this rack is so easy to install and use. My my 4'11" 125lbs spouse can lift, install this rack, and push her +70lbs Radcity ebike into place using the ramp.

It took exactly 2 months for the rack to arrive when I ordered back in July/23. Used the rack for the first time from Denver to ABQ when I purchased my 88lbs 4.8" Himiway Cobra Pro mid drive. Zero issues at 75-85 mph with stability, sway, or vibration of the ebike. Locking down the suspension limits frame bounce A LOT (forgot to lock down the Himiway full suspension at first and the ebike frame looked like a pogo stick on the rack).

https://quikrstuff.com/

Dual QuikRstuff rack with my 4" fat tire Radrover and wife's 2.3" tire Radcity Step Thru with fenders with optional ramp installed on the end:
Rack with both bikes rear small.jpg

Optional ramp available:
Rack with bike ramp.jpg

Last edited:
Good video of its features

I have Thule ezyfold 2bike rack which attaches to towball. Easy to load and store and no regrets but after watching video think 1UP is far superior, in everyway if you have hitch mount. Only plus Thule had is I can fold it to store in trunk as don't like leaving it on car.

I've small SUV with short overhang so departure angle with lower hung Thule isn't to bad but on wagon with low ground clearance could be issue. This isn't about offroading, just entering and exiting steeper driveways.

Good video of its features

I have Thule ezyfold 2bike rack which attaches to towball. Easy to load and store and no regrets but after watching video think 1UP is far superior, in everyway if you have hitch mount. Only plus Thule had is I can fold it to store in trunk as don't like leaving it on car.

I've small SUV with short overhang so departure angle with lower hung Thule isn't to bad but on wagon with low ground clearance could be issue. This isn't about offroading, just entering and exiting steeper driveways.
I made the mistake of leasing a vehicle with low ground clearance (Subaru Legacy. I should have leased the Outback which is essentially the same vehicle in a wagon format, but it sits higher off the ground). I did buy a hitch extender/riser which raises the rack to a safer height. It still doesn't prevent the hitch itself from bottoming out on steep inclines from time to time. That sound is only slightly less brain rattling than a dentist drill.

Here is what I use,
Motorcycle Carrier, 1 or 2 place, rated to 500#+.

Get the type that has 1/2" bolts that you remove to make wheel pockets, for your bike, see below photo.

Ramp

I secure my bike 100#'s, with 2-4' NO hook ratchet straps thru the spokes and around the carrier, I removed the 1/2" bolt to make wheel pockets front and back to fit the bike.
I also use 2- 5' ratchet straps along with 2 soft straps that go around the seat stem, to pull/hold the bike into the wheel pockets,
over 600+ miles of rough 4x4 off rode traveling and it works perfectly.

The Black OEM ramp didn't work very well, so I got a 6'+ long, folding ramp, (works much better), I use the OEM short ramp to place over which ever hole (Wheel pocket) is open, during loading,
off loading, then slide it over the wheel pocket when off loading.
The above ramp also fits in place with the short OEM ramp.

Enlarge the photo to see the ratchet straps in place.

Last edited:
I'm currently riding a Cyrusher Kommoda (20" fat tire step-thru) and really like the 1Up and QuickR setups, particularly the way they secure the bike via the tires which eliminates the use of a faux cross bar add-on. Unfortunately, the QuikR rack would set me back $800 out the door with a 2-3 month wait. I don't really mind the wait but their policy of billing my credit card the full amount at order time is a no-go. My Kommoda tips the scales at 78 lbs without the battery and exceeds max rated weight of 75lbs for the 1UP Super Duty. If I remove the seat and post I can get the weight down to just under the 75 lb max. The 1Up costs $530 out the door with standard UPS 5 day delivery. Both racks weigh about the same (<30lbs) and both provide their own style "anti-wobble" feature.

I'm leaning towards the 1UP Super duty but would consider any other rack that similarly secures the bike via the tire bars and doesn't require the use of a cross bar add-on.

Suggestions?
TIA

I'm currently riding a Cyrusher Kommoda (20" fat tire step-thru) and really like the 1Up and QuickR setups, particularly the way they secure the bike via the tires which eliminates the use of a faux cross bar add-on. Unfortunately, the QuikR rack would set me back $800 out the door with a 2-3 month wait. I don't really mind the wait but their policy of billing my credit card the full amount at order time is a no-go. My Kommoda tips the scales at 78 lbs without the battery and exceeds max rated weight of 75lbs for the 1UP Super Duty. If I remove the seat and post I can get the weight down to just under the 75 lb max. The 1Up costs $530 out the door with standard UPS 5 day delivery. Both racks weigh about the same (<30lbs) and both provide their own style "anti-wobble" feature.

I'm leaning towards the 1UP Super duty but would consider any other rack that similarly secures the bike via the tire bars and doesn't require the use of a cross bar add-on.

Suggestions?
TIA
With the weight of your e-bike, you really should be looking at the the 1 up Extreme Duty or the Quikrstuff Mach2 IMO. In that case, the Quikrstuff is actually cheaper. Apples to Apples. I have been nothing but 100% satisfied with my Quikrstuff rack. Definitely worth the wait!

I would second that. The QuikRstuff is rated at 120lbs and no additions/mods or tools needed to adjust up/down for up to 5" fat tires. I don't have to remove rack bag, seat, or battery off my Radrover (around +/- 80lbs w/ accessories) or Himiway Cobra Pro (+/- 95 lbs w/ accessories). That makes for faster ebike on/off since it is just mount in tray and lock the arms on the tires.

It took 2 months for my QuikRStuff to come in; but, I still had my Saris Superclamp4 as a back up while I waited. I didn't have an issue with the early credit card charge.

I cant see why one would buy the Quick R Stuff when the 1 Up looks identical, made in the USA as well and 30% cheaper. What am I missing? Full disclosure- I have a 1.25 1 up Quick rack single and recently sold my 2 inch Heavy Duty Double.

I cant see why one would buy the Quick R Stuff when the 1 Up looks identical, made in the USA as well and 20% cheaper. What am I missing? Full disclosure- I have a 1.25 1 up Quick rack single and recently sold my 2 inch Heavy Duty Double.
For me it was the increased weight capacity and the completely no tools installation/easier adjustability of the Quikrstuff. I have family with the 1up and it is also a good product. The Quickrstuff is just a bit better IMO.

For me it was the increased weight capacity and the completely no tools installation/easier adjustability of the Quikrstuff. I have family with the 1up and it is also a good product. The Quickrstuff is just a bit better IMO.
Fair enough!

Not as high a weight capacity as the 1Up or QuikrStuff at 67 lbs per bike, I really like the specs & functionality of the Kuat Piston Pro X (1389 USD). The smoother-action and single-hand-use pneumatic arms are superior to the ratcheting system of the competitors. It's also got integrated taillights. However, I can't swallow its cost. So, I'll be going with the 1Up SD.

Kuat_Web_2021_Piston_PageMap-1.jpg

The Piston Pro (non-X) is another option at $300 cheaper.

Last edited:
I’ve owned a 1Up Super Duty for well over a year now and don’t regret my purchase. However, there are some downsides to it that the Quikr Stuff version resolves when it comes to transporting fat bikes. The 1Up requires a fat spacer kit as an added cost versus the QS Mach2 which sports wider trays and arms that handle tires up to 5” without any modifications at all. 1Up wheel locks also require a different version with a longer shaft for fat bikes whereas with the Mach2 the shafts are all equal length regardless if you are locking up a road or fat bike wheel. Having a toolless setup like the QS rack when installing it would also be convenient but for me it wasn’t a deal breaker. All of this convenience does lead to a higher price point with the QS rack and also requires that you wait for a period of up to two months before your rack is delivered. Not a great option if you don’t have a spare rack kicking around to use. This lag in production needs to be addressed if QS wants to obtain a larger share of the ever-increasing bike hitch mount market. Otherwise, they’re both great products, occupy small footprints when stored away and allow for the option of transporting just a single bike or even more with optional add-ons. I’ve hauled everything from analog/e-road bikes, to FS emtbs as well as a fat bike during the winter season with my Super Duty.

IMG_20220601_1615567.jpg

IMG_20220622_1223384.jpg
PXL_20240118_183108382.jpg

IMG_20220526_2109001.jpg

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the 1Up or Kuat NV 2.0, but leaning toward the 1UP. I like the integrated bike stand on the Kuat, but the elevated 2nd bike platform on the 1Up is an even bigger deal for me. (I sometimes travel with two Priority Currents, and the handlebar tangle complicates loading). Also, I read an online review and a few comments concerning Kuat ground clearance issues on vehicles that sit low, as my Subaru Legacy does, unfortunately. The Quick R Stuff would be my first choice actually, but I can't justify the cost of the upgrade. (I definitely need a two bike rack).

My only other thought is to keep the Hollywood Sport rack and find a much sturdier crossbar adapter than the Hollywood branded unit which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The clamp separated as you can see, but the only other bar on the market that looks like it might be more robust is a Hyperax. On the other hand, it might be a rebranded version of the same mousetrap. Anyone have experience with one of those? (smaller photo on bottom right).
adapter bar.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 19-04-43 hypermax adapter bar - Google Search.png

I have the Hyperax adapter. It is definitely more robust than others I've tried, but much more expensive as well. It works quite well compared to others, but the collars are a bit loose on the seat post and stem. This loose fit is common among these adapters and usually leads to cosmetic damage.

To minimize this damage, I cut a foam swim noodle into 6" lengths and split them halfway through. I put the split foam around the seat post & stem before installing the adapter. This eliminates the paint damage and reduces the looseness. Might be worth a try before spending big $$ on a new rack.

Back