Best vehicle rack for step-thru e-bikes

I have the Hyperax adapter. It is definitely more robust than others I've tried, but much more expensive as well. It works quite well compared to others, but the collars are a bit loose on the seat post and stem. This loose fit is common among these adapters and usually leads to cosmetic damage.

To minimize this damage, I cut a foam swim noodle into 6" lengths and split them halfway through. I put the split foam around the seat post & stem before installing the adapter. This eliminates the paint damage and reduces the looseness. Might be worth a try before spending big $$ on a new rack.
Thanks! Given the cost of the bikes (not to mention the cost of the rack upgrade) the Hyperax doesn't seem too pricey, and it's marketed for e-bikes. One of the problems with the Hollywood branded rack (underscore branded, since every other adapter on the market, except the Hyperax, looks virtually identical) is that the clamp mechanisms seem to freeze at times, so it's frustrating in that respect as well. The foam noodle idea sounds like a great one, since the paint damage to my bike really bothered me. I might give the Hyperax "a-go" first, as you suggested.

I can report That my bike carrier works very well and I don't even have to adjust anything on the bike carrier. Makes it so easy with the step thru.

I have the 1 up system for my e bikes. While they are easy to load with the additional purchase of the ramp, the bikes rub together if you are transporting them on the highway. I had several run marks through the paint down to bare metal. I asked the company if there are more rigid separators but was told they don’t exist.

I have the same issue with my Thule 2 bike rack. To keep them from rubbing together, I bought a cheap swim "noodle":

IMG_004921.jpg

I cut it into 6 to 8" pieces and split them down the middle

IMG_004922.jpg
IMG_004926.jpg

They can then be placed around the bike tubes at the rub points to maintain separation:

IMG_004920.jpg

That is a great idea! I have been using a piece of PVC with straps at each ebd to keep them apart.

I have the same issue with my Thule 2 bike rack. To keep them from rubbing together, I bought a cheap swim "noodle":

View attachment 180647

I cut it into 6 to 8" pieces and split them down the middle

View attachment 180648 View attachment 180649

They can then be placed around the bike tubes at the rub points to maintain separation:

View attachment 180650
Good idea. I use a small piece of pool noodle between my tire and front fender for the bike rack. It has an arm that presses down on the front tire. The noodle keeps the fender from bending

One of the problems I am having is bike weight. My Zen e bike weighs almost 80 lbs. i need a new heavy duty rack with a ramp or a new bike!

One of the problems I am having is bike weight. My Zen e bike weighs almost 80 lbs. i need a new heavy duty rack with a ramp or a new bike!
I use a kuat nv2. It holds my 60lb pedego, plus you can get a ramp. Expensive, but better than trying to lift it. Only down side is needing to add a license plate holder. But Thule makes an e-bike rack, with ramp, and brake+license light

“Nvreloader” I checked with Home Depot here in Idaho and that item is no longer available. I am thinking of this one.

HYPERAX Volt Lift -Patented Lift Assisted RV Rated Hitch Mounted 2 E Bike Rack Carrier with RAMP Up to 2X 80lbs eBikes with Up to 5" Fat Tires for RV,Camper,Motorhome,Trailer,Toad, and S.U.V
from Amazon.​

Look for 500# motorcycle carriers, there are lots of them around,
be sure to get the type with the 1/2" bolts to make wheel pockets, they come in Alum or Steel material.
This on comes complete with ratchet straps/soft tie downs etc,

You just have to get a longer ramp for easier loading, as the OEM on is very short. They also come in varying widths, I got the narrow one for my ebikes.
ymmv

I don't trust those type of racks that clamp down on the bike,
I have heard of several that have come loose and lost bikes etc.
I learned that the hard way, although the damage to my bike was relatively minor. Still, I replaced my clamp style unit with a 1Up Super Duty Double rack. (Double doo-doo as my 8 year old grand kid would say).
Inasmuch as the design of the 1Up is straightforward I did go around a learning curve of sorts. Thanks to some previous tips here on the forum, I worked out all of my little snags with the 1Up and would now recommend it enthusiastically.

Here are a few pointers I'll pass along to new 1Up rack owners:

A) The optional handle was well worth the extra cost. It makes folding and unfolding much easier.
B) Someone suggested adding a dab of grease to the bar holding teeth. That worked wonders! Prior to that it was real struggle to release and change the rack position at times.
C) Once I move the bar into the desired position I jiggle it a bit to make sure the bar is inserted all the way. I learned not to assume that even when I hear it click into place.
D) I always make sure the knob is locked tight before placing the bike on the rack. Conversely, when I remove the bike(s) and fold the rack upright, I immediately tighten the knob again or road vibration might cause it to fall out of position.

Cybersnow
If you get the folding ramp with the holes in the ramp, it will fit on the carrier like the OEM ramp does, I also carry the OEM ramp to cover the holes (Wheel pocket hole) to make unloading/loading a lot easier for me, just slide the short ramp over the holes when loading or unloading etc.

Back