Best trunk rack for MIK racks

I've just put a Bontrager Mik rear rack on and am shopping for a trunk. Is the Bontager utility trunk a good choice? I lke that it has side pockets.

I like what I see of the MIK rack system. It reminds me of my older Ortlieb rack mounted carrying case, which has been gone from the Ortlieb catalog for several years.

100_2942 (1).JPG

100_2944.JPG

I attached an MIK adapter to an Axiom rear bike basket. Also to a larger plastic tub. Have even attached a plastic milk crate.

I have a few cargo carriers, but my favorite so far is the Giant Scout MIK Trunk Bag. It has plenty of room for what I need it for, and has two nice side pouches. I keep emergency maintenance gear in one, and a first aid kit in the other.

The nice thing about the MIK system is you can get the adapter plate which can be mounted onto the bottom of almost any carrying apparatus you want to use. I love the simplicity of changing items on/off the bike with the little tool which fits on a bike keychain.

Coming from Canadian prices bikes stores wanted $164.00 (before tax) for the Basil Miles waterproof trunk bag with MIK attachment. I got the same thing along with an MIK adapter plate for my carrier for $128.00 from Bikeinn delivered to my door in 10 days from Spain with no tax. good deal.

I also went with the Basil trunk bag. Additionally I got their pannier bags which also attach with the MIK system. I was able to combine the two so they both connect at the same time with the one MIK plate.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.13.19 PM.png

Any other options out there? I'm not too impressed with the Giant. Bontrager are unobtanium and not too exciting. I have the Basil Sport 32L pannier set, but am not impressed by really any of it besides the mount. I don't mind paying for good bags if someone makes some nice ones but all the obvious options are 'meh. Or do I just need to find the right bag and make it work with MIK? Or just work around the MIK altogether?

I have a Large Blackburn Outpost frame bag that is the bee's knees and got tested in a wicked wind and rain storm a couple nights ago, but the only talibag they make looks kinda cheesy. Outside of MIK, who makes a solid, waterproof tailbag?

I went with the Gazelle bags. Very well made and click into place on my MIK rear rack. The other dog crate style box is set up with an MIK baseplate also, so we can swap out if the need arises. I usually keep the dog crate on her bike as it prevents me from kicking the dog in the head lifting my leg over my high bar bike. Hers is very easy with the step through, and it doubles also as a garbage truck too!

Attachments

• 33594DFE-48F5-40F8-9ED6-DC589A03F415.jpeg
    33594DFE-48F5-40F8-9ED6-DC589A03F415.jpeg
    712.7 KB · Views: 509
  • 3AC84626-E0B0-4BBB-B69B-C3EDED80C7B3.jpeg
    3AC84626-E0B0-4BBB-B69B-C3EDED80C7B3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 495
  • 8C4029E9-5DA0-4527-A706-096671952907.jpeg
    8C4029E9-5DA0-4527-A706-096671952907.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 504
How are you liking your Gazelle panniers? My local LBS had a set and we set them on the back of the Gazelle Ultimate we were buying to see how they looked. Seemed Ok, but I have never had panniers so i didn't know what to look for or how to evaluate them. I have always used trunk bags, so I am curious.
Thanks.

How are you liking your Gazelle panniers? My local LBS had a set and we set them on the back of the Gazelle Ultimate we were buying to see how they looked. Seemed Ok, but I have never had panniers so i didn't know what to look for or how to evaluate them. I have always used trunk bags, so I am curious.
Thanks.
I like them very much. Expensive, but well built. With the MIK mount system installation and removal is so easy too. I always carry a lot of stuff in mine from tools, tubes, locks…always nice to have what I need. With an e bike, you will hardly notice the extra weight of the bags.

Is there something else? The Giant doesn't do much for me. Bontrager is rare and not very interesting. The mount on my Basil Sport 32L pannier set is the only thing I really like about it. I'm willing to pay for nice bags if someone makes them, but all the obvious choices are "meh." Or do I just have to find the right bag and figure out how to make it fit with MIK? Or just avoid the MIK completely?

I have a Large Blackburn Outpost frame bag that is great, and I put it to the test a couple of nights ago in a crazy wind and rain storm, but the only tailback they make looks kind of cheap. Who else makes a good, waterproof tail bag besides MIK?
This is one of the best posts ever. If you want to know more about who we are and what we do, you can go here: MCA Leads

After a reasonably exhaustive search I couldn't find anything I liked with the MIK system. I wound up buying a JandD Rear Rack Pack 2 with the intention of getting a mounting plate. I may still do that, but I've been using it with the attached straps and think I may just keep using this setup as long as the velcro lasts. It's easy enough to take on and off.

6er for scale :)

20221104_201607.jpg

As for the bag itself, it holds quite a lot. It also has a flip up expansion compartment to increase capacity by quite a bit. It has a few other compartments that are well-planned for the most part, a drawstring on top for overflow, is built very well with lots of little extra features, heavy duty zippers, reflecty stuff on the rear. Bought a 'blemish' bag for a good discount that was supposed to have some sort of miscolored something, but I'll be damned if I can tell. $90 shipped. Great bag for the coin!

Edit - these are still on sale: https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FRRPII-CO

My wife’s puppy carrier I attached with an MIK plate. Hardware was included and an easy job. What I like is the puppy carrier and panniers are interchangeable between bikes in a snap.

Attachments

• FCD65A0C-E033-40B2-9833-ED8C1D235502.jpeg
    FCD65A0C-E033-40B2-9833-ED8C1D235502.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
  • B34910FE-639B-44DE-A3FB-E1A5C526C0E6.jpeg
    B34910FE-639B-44DE-A3FB-E1A5C526C0E6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 280
Back