Best Size Frame for Height? My size sold out.

Flickedbic

The XL 20" frame is recommended for Cross current S riders from 6'0 - 6'4.

I am 6'2 so it seems perfect, but XL frames have just sold out. :(

Only Large 18" frames are left and they're recommended for 5'8-6'1.

Should I just get this smaller 18" frame CrossCurrent S, or should I get the 20" RipCurrent instead?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I was in the same situation. I changed my order to a large from a medium frame and they still sent over a medium. Based on what I know about their frame geometry, the only difference in frame size is the distance from the BB to the top of the seat post. If you know that the seat post has enough length to make up the difference between sizes you should be ok.

The medium is recommended for up to 5'9 so I'm guessing you are at least 6'; but the medium works fine for you after raising the seapost? Prima seatposts generally seem to be 350mm so that should be enough to compensate.

I'm mainly worried about raising the seat post a couple inches and finding the handlebar too low. But this is probably an easy fix if so.

I'm interested to hear of your experience.
Is there anything else I should worry about with this?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Update: I didn't even think about changing the color! They still have some XL red in stock. I much prefer the subtle black as it looks more low-profile, more like a regular bike.

I'll just be sure to get a real heavy duty lock.

Update: I didn't even think about changing the color! They still have some XL red in stock. I much prefer the subtle black as it looks more low-profile, more like a regular bike.

If you need a longer seatpost, 400mm is a possibility and a locking seatpost clamp is a good idea.

Or just have a good day this way,

The medium is recommended for up to 5'9 so I'm guessing you are at least 6'; but the medium works fine for you after raising the seapost? Prima seatposts generally seem to be 350mm so that should be enough to compensate.

I'm mainly worried about raising the seat post a couple inches and finding the handlebar too low. But this is probably an easy fix if so.

I'm interested to hear of your experience.
Is there anything else I should worry about with this?

Thank you for your help.

I’m about 5’10”, so I tend to be inbetween frame sizes on most bikes. When I got the bike I scrapped the stock seatpost and seat and bought a 420mm BodyFloat suspension seatpost. The seat is up pretty high but I think I have a few inches of the seatpost past the minimum insertion line.

There’s no way to tell, but depending on your preferred riding style the stem and seat will also need tweaking. I think they use a 90mm stem. For a person with a longish torso but average reach, the 90mm felt much to slammed for a semi upright commute posture. I changed that to a 40mm MTB style stem, but might eventually install a redshift sports shock stop riser stem.

The XL 20" frame is recommended for Cross current S riders from 6'0 - 6'4.

I am 6'2 so it seems perfect, but XL frames have just sold out. :(

Only Large 18" frames are left and they're recommended for 5'8-6'1.

Should I just get this smaller 18" frame CrossCurrent S, or should I get the 20" RipCurrent instead?

Thanks in advance.
I am 6'1" and like my XL. I guess the 18" could work, but you may have to get a longer seat tube. Only other option would find out what dealers received XLs and buy one from them. Otherwise it is either the RipCurrent or wait for the next boatload to arrive.. Good luck!

I am 5' 9" and have the L frame. In my opinion, someone who is 5" taller than me would be really cramped on this frame. I have the seatpost up fairly high and I'm not sure it would go high enough (safely) to ride for someone that much taller. However as a roadie, I like a more stretched out position so I do have a bit of a bias there.

Fit is really important for a bike and I would not suggest trying to ride a frame size that is not the right size for you. I think even for someone who is 6' even that the L frame would seem on the small side. I think the L is about the right size from a frame height perspective, but I think the top tube is too short for my height. I would prefer to have a more stretched out and more aerodynamic position.

Just as a counterpoint I’m also 5’9” with longer legs (and thus a shorter torso) and I would recommend the medium frame. It’s not too difficult to raise the bars up on the smaller frame, or install a longer stem if cramped, but there’s a limit as to how short you can go in stem length if you feel too stretched out in reach to the bars if you get the bigger frame. I think that the Cross Current frame is already on the aggressive side as far as reach goes. I’ve measured it against my road bike fit and reach from the tip of the saddle to the center of bars is almost identical to my road bikes. If in-between sizes I would probably go for the smaller frame.

Last edited:
All,

More importantly than selecting a bike based on your height is to chat with an ebike expert before selecting a frame based on a generic table. It's important to also know:

1- Your arm reach
2- What your inseam length is
3- What type of riding will you be doing
4- What is your riding skill level
5- Any back, neck or wrist issues
6- Etc.......

By having a pro working with you, will help you enjoy your bike for years to come. A properly sized bike is a joy to ride, one that is isn't gets parked in the garage. Body types vary and some people have longer and some people have shorter inseam lengths. By chatting with an expert they can help you in getting the correct bike.

I have seen this many times over the years and always suggest that people research which bikes appeal to them but then talk to someone who knows a lot about the product they want. It's time well spent.

all the best,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

Back